Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By floridarandy
  1.    #1  
    This thread will record my observations on battery life for the Pre3. I've had the phone about a week now and just really started recording specific observations. During the first week of general use I was started to see how fast the battery would drain. Daily use was no more than now but the phone in bone stock form didnt' appear to have enough battery life to last a 12 hour day.

Although I have the new Mugen 1400 mah batteries being cycled these observations will initially use the stock battery.

Also, although I've begun experimenting with Mode Switcher and plan to design custom modes to further control battery usage, my initial observations are simply using the Default Mode with Data Off and Wifi On. It occured to me that I have wifi coverage both at home and at the office. For weekdays that leaves my 20 minute ride to work where I'd be without data. Since text messages still arrive without data, including my twitter relay via text, I decided I see what I missed by simply leaving PHONE DATA OFF all day. Only other tweaks to default are a 30 second interval to screen off and a brightness setting of 10. My experience with the Pre3 so far is that the brightness of the screen allows a setting of 10 to work fine indoors...especially for normal email and browsing.

Its 10 pm and the phone has been on for 14 hours. Stock battery with no recharge since it came off the touchstone this morning. Battery is currently reporting 52% remaining and via Battery Monitor reports 27.19 hours remaining. Drain per hour has been 1.9%. Apps running include Sports Live with a 15 minute update interval. Email set to sync as items arrive.

Conclusion: Data is a hog. I've read elsewhere that simply reducing time using data doesn't work as Synergy is constantly using data...and if its only data is Phone data there's a huge battery drain.

Just image what further custom modes might do!

More later.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Very interesting, I'll be keeping a close eye on this.
    HP Pre 3 8GB on 2.2.4 with Skinomi Carbon Fiber Skin and Mugen 1400 mAh Battery
    HP Veer 4G Panda 8GB on 2.1.2 with clear Ghost Armor
    HP TouchPad 16GB on 3.0.5 with offical HP case.
  3.    #3  
    now 24 hrs in and 35% remaining. Drain rate 1.6%,hour and reporting 20 hrs remaining.
  4.    #4  
    ah...if only i could play with my phones all day...but work gets in the way.

using the stock battery i have been able to go over 36 hours with phone data off, only using wifi for data.

today i switched back to the mugen so i could finish cycling the new battery. the phone has been on with this battery since 7 am this morning (about 12 hours so far) with about an hour of phone data on as i was out of wifi coverage. several phone calls. not a data intensive day but probably double what i would normally use during a weekday...and normal isn't much. Push email as it arrives and battery monitor polling every minute.

so far today Battery Monitor reports drain at about 4%/hour with almost 15 hours remaining. given the fact that i'll be sleeping this evening i fully expect the battery to go 24 hours.

the only Mode Switcher i've implemented at this point is one i call "battery saver". when the battery gets down to 20% it essentially switches everything off except the phone. it also switches to a uberkernel mod which simply clocks the processor down to a max of 1.024 Ghz and a min of 122.88 Mhz. Obviously this mode will most often be active when i'm asleep.

when i find the time i intend to establish custom modes that can be quickly swiched throughout the day to gain power when i need it but keep power drain low when the phone is at rest. i want to be able to get to the point where i can travel with more extensive use of the phone and data but comfortably make it 18 hours, essentially from 6 am to midnight without fearing the phone will let me down.

we'll see.
  5.    #5  
    here we are a day later than previous post. phone has been on for 26 1/2 hours. overnight the phone was obviously in sleep mode. Battery Monitor showing drain per hour over last 10 hours is 1.95%/hour. Remaining life reported at 20 hours.

Phone data has been left on. Wifi has been left on. Remember, tho, that I have excellent wifi both at home and office. Trip to office in phone data only is only about 20 minutes.

I'll continue to leave battery to draw down and let you know when it gets to 20%. I'm still in the initial cycling of the 1400maH Mugen and I've got another 2 or 3 cycles to go so this might take a while.

Overall quite pleased. Much different than the first day or two out of the box.
    Isn't an important question what data feeds you have that are apparently resulting in so much traffic? Can they be controlled?
    Alternatively is it possible your initial results were simply the battery charging circuit learning the battery? To verify, you'd have to go back to square one after a few more battery cycles, and see what the rate of discharge was. If it is as fast as it was initially, then OK it is data.
    Remember the iPhone with the highly inaccurate signal strength meter? I once had the job of designing a battery runout predictor for a lithium battery in a military system, and believe me it is a pig.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by floridarandy View Post
    here we are a day later than previous post. phone has been on for 26 1/2 hours. overnight the phone was obviously in sleep mode. Battery Monitor showing drain per hour over last 10 hours is 1.95%/hour. Remaining life reported at 20 hours.

Phone data has been left on. Wifi has been left on. Remember, tho, that I have excellent wifi both at home and office. Trip to office in phone data only is only about 20 minutes.

I'll continue to leave battery to draw down and let you know when it gets to 20%. I'm still in the initial cycling of the 1400maH Mugen and I've got another 2 or 3 cycles to go so this might take a while.

Overall quite pleased. Much different than the first day or two out of the box.
    obviously drain rate increased after waking this morning. this battery cycle ended up running about 30 hours to the 15% battery life. battery is now back at 100% so we'll see what this cycle holds starting at 5pm. i'm suspecting we'll make it until bedtime tomorrow evening.
  8.    #8  
    obviously drain rate increased after waking this morning. this battery cycle ended up running about 30 hours to the 15% battery life. battery is now back at 100% so we'll see what this cycle holds starting at 5pm. i'm suspecting we'll make it until bedtime tomorrow evening.
    this cycle which began at 5 pm yesterday is currently at 74% at 10 am, 17 hours later. obviously the bulk of this time was overnight so we'll see how the day proceeds.
  9.    #9  
    ok...its nearly 11 pm. phone has been on now for 29 hours and reports 23% remaining. at current drain rate it would last another 9 hours but since it shifts to my Battery Saver Mode Shift at 20% it would likely make it overnight. I'll probably put it on the charger about midnight tho as I'm leaving early in the AM.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Interesting observation and thanks for sharing. This will greatly help with daily working life, but not so much for outdoor activities when you need to check map, search for fun places when phone data is necessary.

Battery lifetime is still a bottleneck for mobile device...
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    a related quick question: is there a quick button to switch phone data on and off.
    then I can switch it off if i really need the extra standby hours when I am expecting some important calls...
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by zhanezeng View Post
    a related quick question: is there a quick button to switch phone data on and off.
    then I can switch it off if i really need the extra standby hours when I am expecting some important calls...
    yes, from preware device menu megamix has toggle for data. also more sophisticated solution is advanced system series patches working under mode switcher.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    yes, from preware device menu megamix has toggle for data. also more sophisticated solution is advanced system series patches working under mode switcher.
    thanks.

I never got my mode switcher work properly: seems too complicated to configure. Hope somebody can share a template, and I can do the modification on top of it.