Like Tree13Likes
  • 12 Post By floridarandy
  • 1 Post By carldc
  1.    #1  
    So I've had the Pre3 for a week or so. I'm a former Palm user back through all the Pre's and most of the Treo's on the phone side, and for that matter on the organizer side back to the original Pilot. So I guess you could say I like the stuff and decided I might as well own the last one.

WHAT IT IS

Form Factor - I like it. Smooth, slightly bigger so I have to pay attention when picking it up. More sophisticated fit and finish...as nice as any phone in my opinion. I actually like the simplicity of the finish...no chrome or metal and no square corners. If this is the last Palm device they finally made it look first class in my opinion.

My pre2 always felt small in my hands so I never worried about grabbing it. The pre3 has just enough extra real estate without having that "slab" feeling of an Android. Still works fine in my ebcases belt case...just like the pre2.

Hands down best keyboard of any Pre. Just enough bigger. Great feedback...all I'll ever need.

Phone - It is, after all, a phone. Phone app hasn't really changed. Audio seems good through the earpiece and great on the speaker phone. Bluetooth pairing with my headset is quick and accurate. Patches continued from the original Pre still allow me to customize phone features just like I did with the first Pre. How many phones over 4 generations and 4+ years can say that?

Text - No problems. The ability to one-hand IM just as with all Pre's.

Web - Increased speed of device makes browsing a breeze. Patch customizations carried forward to my specific needs and likes. Some have commented about font size due to increase screen resolution. Not a problem for me as i typically zoom to text I'm reading. Patch to increase font is available.

Display - By far the best on any Palm device I've owned. All I need in a phone/internet device. If I need a bigger screen I simply place the Pre3 on my Touchpad and I'm synced to the bigger screen.

Apps - All I need and synergy simply imported them when I activated the phone. Since I'm really about communicating and surfing the web I really don't miss the limited number of games.

Homebrew - Still the thing I like best about the phone product line. Now 4+ years into development I can customize almost every aspect of this device. Its a never ending source of enjoyment exploring all that can be done. With this phone I'm finally taking the time to explore Mode Switcher. What a wonderful way to make this "my" device, customized exactly how I want it in every possible regard. See Battery discussion below.

Camera - Never have been a camera bug with my phones. I'd prefer to carry a dedicated camera if there's something I really want to take a picture of. In fact, the only phone I dropped was one I'd been trying to use as a camera. This camera is tops, however, for that once in a while shot. Auto focus seems to be accurate and finally allows me to accurately read bar code scanners. I dont' shoot video but its nice to know HD video is there too.

Accessories - I haven't had a problem. Stock and Mugen replacement batteries are readily available. Wall and car chargers and touchstones are the same as my previous Pre devices. My Pre Plus and Pre 2 cases from ebcase work just fine. My only gripe was that Boxwave most likley won't make my favorite "Cleartouch" screen protectors. I simply can't stand the finger prints on glass screens. In its place I have ordered the Vikuiti screen protector ADQC27 and DQCM30's from protectionfilms24.com which look like they'll do the job. I'll review those separately.

WHAT ITS NOT

GPS Navigator - I love my Garmin Nuvi for navigation. I can dowload updates and customize POI's to do more than any phone could do. If I'm traveling the Garmin is in my pocket and on the dash. Now, having said that, this is the best GPS from Palm I've owned. Using Bing maps it gets a quick fix and accurately follows the car moving down the road. I'd trust it for navigating in the absence of my Garmin but it isnt' what I'd buy this device to do. Beware that GPS is a battery killer (see below) so dont' plan to do much navigation without a car charger.

Voice Recognition - If you need to speak to your phone when you're alone or to tell it what to do, don't buy a Pre3. I guess it has the ability to do something with voice recognition but I'm not one who'd use it. Its bad enough to have to listen to people talking on the phone in public...

All Day Battery - Even with the Mugen 1400mah battery this phone will not allow you to go for 12 hours without thinking about it. Battery drain is simply larger than other Pre's. Having said that, I've found an easy way to go 12+ hours that meets my needs. Simply by turning Phone Data off when I'm at home (wifi hot spots throughout my house) and at my office allows me to do everything I need, all day long, without draining even the stock battery.
    I fully expect to soon be able to go 18 to 24 hours on battery using Mode Switcher which will allow me to customize usage in a way that will eliminate battery as an issue.

Game Device - As stated above this device has limited game apps. Enough to keep you busy on a plane flight or in a waiting room, but not for serious gaming.

4G - While the ATT is 4G, the Verizon is 3G. An issue for some, perhaps, but I simply find the Verizon network's coverage good enough that everything I want to do is basically instantaneous.

CONCLUSION - I'm thrilled and honored to own the last of the Palm line. Sad, obviously, that its come to this, but confident that I'll have another 3 or 4 years before I have to address the matter. Now that Pre3 prices are under $300 I bought 2 so I'd have a NIB backup. And, just in case, I'm holding on to my Pre2. Other than form factor its the next best phone Palm ever produced.

Long live the Legacy and Memory of what Palm stood for. And kudos to those who work to preserve the beauty and future of webOS! I'm still hoping an upstart company will recoginize the opportunity of webOS and make hardware to rival Apple that uses open source webOS that kicks their ****. It won't be a Palm but I'll buy it just because its not an Apple!

Randy in Florida
    Last edited by floridarandy; 07/16/2012 at 02:17 PM.
    Very nice review, seen a couple around here discussing the features of the Palm Pre 3. However, your is a bit better organized than some other I've seen around in WebOS nation. One of the most curious ones for me about this unreleased Palm Pre 3 device would be the battery life and the slider action mechanism(if it's more solid than the older Pre 2). Some people might talk about the size of the display which is 3.5 inches, however for its not that important since my phone is mainly to make calls and some light browsing when I'm not home. Now, as far of the resolution part of the Palm Pre 3 device(for me) it matters most since the resolution of the older Pre just is too low compared to other phones from competitors.

By the Way, Hey!! you mister floridarandy, so I heard you have two devices of the Palm Pre 3. How about sharing the WebOS Palm Pre 3 wealth, selling one for me . I will take 200 dollars for that Palm Pre 3 alex Anyways, seriously speaking it would be nice carrying one of those Palm Pre 3 beauties with me instead of the older Palm Pre 2
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Very nice review, seen a couple around here discussing the features of the Palm Pre 3. However, your is a bit better organized than some other I've seen around in WebOS nation. One of the most curious ones for me about this unreleased Palm Pre 3 device would be the battery life and the slider action mechanism(if it's more solid than the older Pre 2). Some people might talk about the size of the display which is 3.5 inches, however for its not that important since my phone is mainly to make calls and some light browsing when I'm not home. Now, as far of the resolution part of the Palm Pre 3 device(for me) it matters most since the resolution of the older Pre just is too low compared to other phones from competitors.

By the Way, Hey!! you mister floridarandy, so I heard you have two devices of the Palm Pre 3. How about sharing the WebOS Palm Pre 3 wealth, selling one for me . I will take 200 dollars for that Palm Pre 3 alex Anyways, seriously speaking it would be nice carrying one of those Palm Pre 3 beauties with me instead of the older Palm Pre 2
    Remember the Pre2 isn't really an "old" phone. Its just a bit over a year since it was released.

Slider was pretty much fixed on the Pre2. The 3's is a bit "silkier" its gliding action but no more servicable than the Pre2's. In fact, because of the larger form factor the 3's is harder to open and close with just w thumb like the 2.

Battery life, as pointed out in my review, is less than the 3. But with more overt battery strategies still OK for all day use. I'd say screen size and resolution make the browsing experience better.

As far as sales, my 3's aren't going anywhere. I have a NIB Pre2 I've listed here in the Marketplace and a spare Pre2 I'm keeping just in case.

For $299 I think the Pre3 is reasonable but don't know how much lower they'll go before new stock is sold out. I"m sure there will be resales around for some time....just like the Touchpads.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    for battery drain, I found uberkernel made a big difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by floridarandy View Post
    So I've had the Pre3 for a week or so. I'm a former Palm user back through all the Pre's and most of the Treo's on the phone side, and for that matter on the organizer side back to the original Pilot. So I guess you could say I like the stuff and decided I might as well own the last one.

WHAT IT IS

Form Factor - I like it. Smooth, slightly bigger so I have to pay attention when picking it up. More sophisticated fit and finish...as nice as any phone in my opinion. I actually like the simplicity of the finish...no chrome or metal and no square corners. If this is the last Palm device they finally made it look first class in my opinion.

My pre2 always felt small in my hands so I never worried about grabbing it. The pre3 has just enough extra real estate without having that "slab" feeling of an Android. Still works fine in my ebcases belt case...just like the pre2.

Hands down best keyboard of any Pre. Just enough bigger. Great feedback...all I'll ever need.

Phone - It is, after all, a phone. Phone app hasn't really changed. Audio seems good through the earpiece and great on the speaker phone. Bluetooth pairing with my headset is quick and accurate. Patches continued from the original Pre still allow me to customize phone features just like I did with the first Pre. How many phones over 4 generations and 4+ years can say that?

Text - No problems. The ability to one-hand IM just as with all Pre's.

Web - Increased speed of device makes browsing a breeze. Patch customizations carried forward to my specific needs and likes. Some have commented about font size due to increase screen resolution. Not a problem for me as i typically zoom to text I'm reading. Patch to increase font is available.

Display - By far the best on any Palm device I've owned. All I need in a phone/internet device. If I need a bigger screen I simply place the Pre3 on my Touchpad and I'm synced to the bigger screen.

Apps - All I need and synergy simply imported them when I activated the phone. Since I'm really about communicating and surfing the web I really don't miss the limited number of games.

Homebrew - Still the thing I like best about the phone product line. Now 4+ years into development I can customize almost every aspect of this device. Its a never ending source of enjoyment exploring all that can be done. With this phone I'm finally taking the time to explore Mode Switcher. What a wonderful way to make this "my" device, customized exactly how I want it in every possible regard. See Battery discussion below.

Camera - Never have been a camera bug with my phones. I'd prefer to carry a dedicated camera if there's something I really want to take a picture of. In fact, the only phone I dropped was one I'd been trying to use as a camera. This camera is tops, however, for that once in a while shot. Auto focus seems to be accurate and finally allows me to accurately read bar code scanners. I dont' shoot video but its nice to know HD video is there too.

Accessories - I haven't had a problem. Stock and Mugen replacement batteries are readily available. Wall and car chargers and touchstones are the same as my previous Pre devices. My Pre Plus and Pre 2 cases from ebcase work just fine. My only gripe was that Boxwave most likley won't make my favorite "Cleartouch" screen protectors. I simply can't stand the finger prints on glass screens. In its place I have ordered the Vikuiti screen protector ADQC27 and DQCM30's from protectionfilms24.com which look like they'll do the job. I'll review those separately.

WHAT ITS NOT

GPS Navigator - I love my Garmin Nuvi for navigation. I can dowload updates and customize POI's to do more than any phone could do. If I'm traveling the Garmin is in my pocket and on the dash. Now, having said that, this is the best GPS from Palm I've owned. Using Bing maps it gets a quick fix and accurately follows the car moving down the road. I'd trust it for navigating in the absence of my Garmin but it isnt' what I'd buy this device to do. Beware that GPS is a battery killer (see below) so dont' plan to do much navigation without a car charger.

Voice Recognition - If you need to speak to your phone when you're alone or to tell it what to do, don't buy a Pre3. I guess it has the ability to do something with voice recognition but I'm not one who'd use it. Its bad enough to have to listen to people talking on the phone in public...

All Day Battery - Even with the Mugen 1400mah battery this phone will not allow you to go for 12 hours without thinking about it. Battery drain is simply larger than other Pre's. Having said that, I've found an easy way to go 12+ hours that meets my needs. Simply by turning Phone Data off when I'm at home (wifi hot spots throughout my house) and at my office allows me to do everything I need, all day long, without draining even the stock battery.
    I fully expect to soon be able to go 18 to 24 hours on battery using Mode Switcher which will allow me to customize usage in a way that will eliminate battery as an issue.

Game Device - As stated above this device has limited game apps. Enough to keep you busy on a plane flight or in a waiting room, but not for serious gaming.

4G - While the ATT is 4G, the Verizon is 3G. An issue for some, perhaps, but I simply find the Verizon network's coverage good enough that everything I want to do is basically instantaneous.

CONCLUSION - I'm thrilled and honored to own the last of the Palm line. Sad, obviously, that its come to this, but confident that I'll have another 3 or 4 years before I have to address the matter. Now that Pre3 prices are under $300 I bought 2 so I'd have a NIB backup. And, just in case, I'm holding on to my Pre2. Other than form factor its the next best phone Palm ever produced.

Long live the Legacy and Memory of what Palm stood for. And kudos to those who work to preserve the beauty and future of webOS! I'm still hoping an upstart company will recoginize the opportunity of webOS and make hardware to rival Apple that uses open source webOS that kicks their ****. It won't be a Palm but I'll buy it just because its not an Apple!

Randy in Florida
    Mine, here in the UK, automatically switches 3G off when it is in wifi range. To begin with I thought this was a bug...3G was disappearing all the time...then i realised it was a feature.
    I am not a heavy user most days, mainly email, sms, a few voice calls and the odd webpage, and I regularly see 83% on the stock battery after 12 hours, never below 60%.
    I got mine on eBay, unopened boxed UK stock, for $180 equivalent. By the time I realised I had a bargain, the supplier was out and the prices had gone up.
    I am a keyboard user. I cannot get on with virtual keyboards or any of that predictive text stuff (I use a lot of technical words which predictive text reliably gets wrong - including, when I tried it out on an Android phone, converting "Higgs boson" to "High bosun" and making me look like an *****). AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $Pre$ $3$ $is$ $still$ $far$ $and$ $away$ $the$ $highest$ $spec$ $phone$ $with$ $a$ $physical$ $keyboard$ $you$ $can$ $get$, $and$ $it$'$s$ $customisable$.
    Hmm maybe i dont use my pre3 as often as others but my original Battery last for 24 without problems if i just check and reply to emails, surf for a bit or play a round of picross on the train. Dont forget a bit of messaging and one or two phone calls. This is with actived 3G and push email.
    If i turn data off the phone last for 2-3 days.
    I am using Uber kernel.

I love the pre3 and plan to keep it until it breaks

but there are a few things i dont like:

The Apps:
    Most apps i need are available and work great but there is of course something missing like WhatsApp, all of my friends use it on their iphone or android devices and im just missing a bit of the party. sure alternatives are available but i can understand why no one changes their habit because of one lonely webos user.
    The lack of known games like angry birds (sure there is the old PRE1-2 version but no update) is annoying but i can live with that. The missing updates of available apps that were abondend by their devs is another problem

Browser:
    The WebOS browser is annyoing and slow imo. i saw other devices with similar specs and it works just so much better, hope this will be fixed with isis in the future

eMail:
    Like the Browser the email program needs fixes, wont list all but stacked massages is one of it. Hope with openWebOS their will be a fix.

Selecting Text:
    The option to select text in emails, browser and other non editable texts is just crap or i cant get it working
    if i look at ios or android it shows how it is done great. WebOS multitasking kicks *** but for me really taking advantage of this is a fluid way of copying text from one app to another and thats imo in many case not possible.

I just hope the pre3 will get openWebOS later this year and the problems i mentioned get fixed. Sometimes i think about replacing it with a android phone but after using this great os for some time again i just cant get myself to abandon this awesome os.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeron View Post
    for battery drain, I found uberkernel made a big difference.
    ditto, made a huge difference for me too!
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    I bought 2 so I'd have a NIB backup.
    I did exactly the same thing! Very good review. I've had mine since October, and I agree with virtually everything you said (I get a bit better battery life from the Mugen 1400 though). I was a long-time PalmOS user. Went to webOS when it came out (Pre-, Pixi), and picked up a Pre 3 on ebay (and eventually a second one for "insurance"). I think I made the right decision at each turn.
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    floridarandy likes this.
    I am a Pre2 user, and also a long time Palm user, going back to their original devices. Great review, thanks. and by the way, where can I purchase a NIB Pre3 these days... compatible with my Tmobile SIM in USA.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mypalmpred View Post
    I am a Pre2 user, and also a long time Palm user, going back to their original devices. Great review, thanks. and by the way, where can I purchase a NIB Pre3 these days... compatible with my Tmobile SIM in USA.
    Not that this is the final answer, but for Tmobile from a technology standpoint:

Pre 3!! Amazing! Also, T Mobile?

As for sourcing check "Pre3 Unlocked" on ebay. Not sure if this is the Tmobile solution but I found a number of buy it now for $325 or best offer. I paid $300 for the 2 Verizon models.

Good luck.
    Please report your results on the Mode Switcher thread; I'm having problems getting it to respond to time-based triggers in a predictable way on my Pre3 (2.2.4).

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix