Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    I've had my Pre 3 for a few days and I thought I'd share a few thoughts, even though they may have been covered in this space before.

    The reason I went to Pre 3 is that I can't type on my slab Android phone well. It is at least one error for every two words. Sometimes I'll press a letter and it will move the cursor back a space and then type the letter, which requires a few edits and really prevents me from considering typing anything considerable. I never had this problem on my launch day Pre. I couldn't find any keyboards with modern hardware available on an plan that was similar to my $25 Virgin Mobile 300 minutes, unlimited data plan.

    The other reason is that webOS works the way I do with the multi-tasking. When I'm watching a football game on Sunday, I want to have a few apps all set up to switch between, quick and easy.

    That said, the move to the Pre 3 has presented some problems. There are three big ones for me:

    1. The size of the fonts. The hi-res screen seems to have resulted in very small font in the browser and I have trouble reading my favorite websites. For webOS, you want a usable web. It took me awhile to find any way of fixing it, but I used a few threads in the forums here to fix things. I ended up changing the first <a href="http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-development/200471-browser-conf-changing-font-size-other-browser-tweaks.html">two items in this thread</a> to 32.

    It was difficult to change the setting as webOS puts a number of guides in place to stop you. Using Internalz Pro as a text editor (the default is to open in QuickOffice which doesn't work) is the answer. How do you do that? <a href="http://forums.webosnation.com/canuck-coding/256518-internalz-pro-v1-5-0-a-30.html#post3172144">This was very helpful</a>, especially the YouTube video, which was important for me, even a webOS veteran.

    2. Navigation is terrible. If I paid around $100 a month for AT&T this wouldn't be a problem (you get an app), but I'm not going to go from $25 a month to $100 to use a keyboard and webOS. Since NDrive went away, the only solution seems to be Navit. While many say that it is good and I have yet to take it outside my house, I've found that its usability limits it from working for most people.

    I tried to navigate to a nearby city and in typing it, 6 different cities with the same name came up. The screen just says Springfield, no state. You have to just guess one of them and then type in your street and hope it is there. If it isn't you may have the wrong state. If it is, you aren't out of the woods, because it could be an Elm St. or a Main St., where there are multiple ones in a city. The city that I was testing wasn't a "Springfield" where I expect there to be more than one, so the 6 is a surprise.

    Finally, the street numbers shouldn't be considered accurate according to the FAQ. <a href="http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/OpenStreetMap#Search_is_totally_b0rkz0r3d.21_Or.2C_behaves_very_strangely_vs_other_navigation_softwa re.">More information on this is here</a>. This isn't a webOS problem, but a problem with the data that Navit uses, planet.bin. Nonetheless the problem bubbles up to the Navit level and the user experience.

    I can't think of a way to pay for better navigation except to switch carriers to use their navigation app. This means that I'll probably have to buy a separate GPS system. On Android devices, this is solved by Google's own Navigation app that works independently of any carrier's navigation app. If webOS is ever going to compete on phones again, I think the navigation issue needs to be addressed.

    3. Pre 3 can't be verified with Google Voice. I ported my main number to Google Voice and I have that forward calls my cell phone. However, Google Voice's verification procedure doesn't seem to work with the Pre 3. I type in the two digit code and I get the response of "I didn't catch that" three times before it gives up. I must have tried this 15 times now over a couple of days and it isn't working. While this isn't entirely a Pre 3 problem, it seems to work fairly well with my other phones, so I can't put the entire blame on Google either. I'm working with the Google Voice forums on this and I'm trying their suggested fixes after I post this.

    Finally, I've got a question. What are you using to protect your phone? I didn't care that much about by Android phone as I can replace it for around $125 now. However, replacing a Pre 3 is more difficult and my Pre 3 took a beating over a couple of years. I've seen a case that looks good but it seems like you need to open a door to slide the phone (PDair HP Pre 3 Aluminum Case (Black)), which is going to be a pain when typing. It defeats the one-hand use that I am like so much about the Pre.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland View Post
    I've had my Pre 3 for a few days and I thought I'd share a few thoughts, even though they may have been covered in this space before.

    The reason I went to Pre 3 is that I can't type on my slab Android phone well. It is at least one error for every two words. Sometimes I'll press a letter and it will move the cursor back a space and then type the letter, which requires a few edits and really prevents me from considering typing anything considerable. I never had this problem on my launch day Pre. I couldn't find any keyboards with modern hardware available on an plan that was similar to my $25 Virgin Mobile 300 minutes, unlimited data plan.

    The other reason is that webOS works the way I do with the multi-tasking. When I'm watching a football game on Sunday, I want to have a few apps all set up to switch between, quick and easy.

    That said, the move to the Pre 3 has presented some problems. There are three big ones for me:

    1. The size of the fonts. The hi-res screen seems to have resulted in very small font in the browser and I have trouble reading my favorite websites. For webOS, you want a usable web. It took me awhile to find any way of fixing it, but I used a few threads in the forums here to fix things. I ended up changing the first <a href="http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-development/200471-browser-conf-changing-font-size-other-browser-tweaks.html">two items in this thread</a> to 32.

    It was difficult to change the setting as webOS puts a number of guides in place to stop you. Using Internalz Pro as a text editor (the default is to open in QuickOffice which doesn't work) is the answer. How do you do that? <a href="http://forums.webosnation.com/canuck-coding/256518-internalz-pro-v1-5-0-a-30.html#post3172144">This was very helpful</a>, especially the YouTube video, which was important for me, even a webOS veteran.

    2. Navigation is terrible. If I paid around $100 a month for AT&T this wouldn't be a problem (you get an app), but I'm not going to go from $25 a month to $100 to use a keyboard and webOS. Since NDrive went away, the only solution seems to be Navit. While many say that it is good and I have yet to take it outside my house, I've found that its usability limits it from working for most people.

    I tried to navigate to a nearby city and in typing it, 6 different cities with the same name came up. The screen just says Springfield, no state. You have to just guess one of them and then type in your street and hope it is there. If it isn't you may have the wrong state. If it is, you aren't out of the woods, because it could be an Elm St. or a Main St., where there are multiple ones in a city. The city that I was testing wasn't a "Springfield" where I expect there to be more than one, so the 6 is a surprise.

    Finally, the street numbers shouldn't be considered accurate according to the FAQ. <a href="http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/OpenStreetMap#Search_is_totally_b0rkz0r3d.21_Or.2C_behaves_very_strangely_vs_other_navigation_softwa re.">More information on this is here</a>. This isn't a webOS problem, but a problem with the data that Navit uses, planet.bin. Nonetheless the problem bubbles up to the Navit level and the user experience.

    I can't think of a way to pay for better navigation except to switch carriers to use their navigation app. This means that I'll probably have to buy a separate GPS system. On Android devices, this is solved by Google's own Navigation app that works independently of any carrier's navigation app. If webOS is ever going to compete on phones again, I think the navigation issue needs to be addressed.

    3. Pre 3 can't be verified with Google Voice. I ported my main number to Google Voice and I have that forward calls my cell phone. However, Google Voice's verification procedure doesn't seem to work with the Pre 3. I type in the two digit code and I get the response of "I didn't catch that" three times before it gives up. I must have tried this 15 times now over a couple of days and it isn't working. While this isn't entirely a Pre 3 problem, it seems to work fairly well with my other phones, so I can't put the entire blame on Google either. I'm working with the Google Voice forums on this and I'm trying their suggested fixes after I post this.

    Finally, I've got a question. What are you using to protect your phone? I didn't care that much about by Android phone as I can replace it for around $125 now. However, replacing a Pre 3 is more difficult and my Pre 3 took a beating over a couple of years. I've seen a case that looks good but it seems like you need to open a door to slide the phone (PDair HP Pre 3 Aluminum Case (Black)), which is going to be a pain when typing. It defeats the one-hand use that I am like so much about the Pre.
    I have a Verizon Pre3 (not activated. Still using my PrePlus til it dies, before I go to the Pre2), although VZNavigator is there, I use the new Google Maps from Preware, or Google Mobile Maps, or Bing Maps, not perfect, but works.

    As for screen/case skinomi makes a good product, then a belt case to care it.
  3. #3  
    I'm not sure what's going on with your phone and Google Voice... my Pre3 had no issue with verification.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  4. #4  
    Get the Ndrive beta on UberAppCat and if they still will sell you a map over the catalogue this works great for me on my pre3. The Maps were expensive, but this system works for me. I also have mapping tool pro and it also works but takes a little more time in setting up routes. N-drive worked real well for me going from Georgia to Kansas and I am sure glad I got it installed before they quit making it for WebOS.
  5. carldc's Avatar
    Posts
    441 Posts
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by docsdad View Post
    Get the Ndrive beta on UberAppCat and if they still will sell you a map over the catalogue this works great for me on my pre3. The Maps were expensive, but this system works for me. I also have mapping tool pro and it also works but takes a little more time in setting up routes. N-drive worked real well for me going from Georgia to Kansas and I am sure glad I got it installed before they quit making it for WebOS.
    Agreed. I like NDrive and still use it. It hasn't disappeared. They just stopped developing for webOS.
    -carldc

    m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
  6. #6  
    +1 on NDrive although I am still upset over having to pay for it again after having it already on my unlocked Pre2. But now it shows real time traffic (with subscription) which is very useful to me so I don't have to switch to bing or google maps for traffic info

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  7. #7  
    LOVE ndrive too!!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    I'm not sure what's going on with your phone and Google Voice... my Pre3 had no issue with verification.
    It turns out that since I had my Google Voice ported number forwarding to another phone I couldn't verify the Pre3. As soon as I unselected my old phone, I could verify the Pre3. Then I could add both numbers as numbers that my ported number will forward to. Seems to be an odd bug in Google Voice's verification system.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    I have a Verizon Pre3 (not activated. Still using my PrePlus til it dies, before I go to the Pre2), although VZNavigator is there, I use the new Google Maps from Preware, or Google Mobile Maps, or Bing Maps, not perfect, but works.

    As for screen/case skinomi makes a good product, then a belt case to care it.
    I've thought about using the Maps (Google or Bing), but as you mentioned it really isn't a navigation app. For safety alone, I'd get a separate unit before I rely on that.

    Is this the Skinomi case: Skinomi TechSkin - HP Pre 3 Carbon Fiber Skin Protector. I was hoping for something that protected against drops more, but this is better than nothing.
  10.    #10  
    Ahh, I had thought that Ndrive went away. I was able to pick up the beta 6 in the UberAppCat. I then went to buy the North America map on the device and the price is 25 euros. I figured I might want to buy it on the website just in case something crashes after I put in my credit card and I'm stuck with nothing.

    I was surprised to see that NDrive is there and available for 50 euros: NDrive.com. So now the question becomes, can I just buy North America for 25 euros here: https://shop.ndrive.com/secure/mobil...&build_number=

    Anyone try that?
  11.    #11  
    I should mention that the font settings that I listed in my original post only worked for a few websites. So I'm still looking for a way to make the font bigger and intelligently rewrap rather than have a large font that I have to scroll back and forth on each line of text.
  12. #12  
    A few online shops here in the UK have standalone satnavs for around £30 - £40 ($45 - $60). For that price I think I'd rather avoid using my Pre3 for navigation!
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland View Post
    Ahh, I had thought that Ndrive went away. I was able to pick up the beta 6 in the UberAppCat. I then went to buy the North America map on the device and the price is 25 euros. I figured I might want to buy it on the website just in case something crashes after I put in my credit card and I'm stuck with nothing.

    I was surprised to see that NDrive is there and available for 50 euros: NDrive.com. So now the question becomes, can I just buy North America for 25 euros here: https://shop.ndrive.com/secure/mobil...&build_number=

    Anyone try that?
    I'd make sure the budget option is up to date... I believe you need map v2.20 from my research. I'm not a user (yet)... Still sort of waiting to see if they (NDrive) completely disable webOS functionality before I shell out $$$.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland View Post
    3. Pre 3 can't be verified with Google Voice. I ported my main number to Google Voice and I have that forward calls my cell phone. However, Google Voice's verification procedure doesn't seem to work with the Pre 3. I type in the two digit code and I get the response of "I didn't catch that" three times before it gives up. I must have tried this 15 times now over a couple of days and it isn't working. While this isn't entirely a Pre 3 problem, it seems to work fairly well with my other phones, so I can't put the entire blame on Google either. I'm working with the Google Voice forums on this and I'm trying their suggested fixes after I post this.
    I had the same issue and I fixed it by using the Touchpad's dialer while connected through my Pre 3.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    I'd make sure the budget option is up to date... I believe you need map v2.20 from my research. I'm not a user (yet)... Still sort of waiting to see if they (NDrive) completely disable webOS functionality before I shell out $$$.
    It doesn't look like there's a way to make sure the budget option is up to date. At least it isn't obviously. However, that is the option that the app sends me to, so you'd think that would be mostly likely to work with Beta 6. I don't want to buy the more expensive maps and find that they don't work with the old version of the app.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland View Post
    It doesn't look like there's a way to make sure the budget option is up to date. At least it isn't obviously. However, that is the option that the app sends me to, so you'd think that would be mostly likely to work with Beta 6. I don't want to buy the more expensive maps and find that they don't work with the old version of the app.
    You might get more help in a dedicated Ndrive thread.... My understanding is that Beta 6 = Ndrive 11.x and only 2.20 maps work with Ndrive 11.x...

    Nice how they make the numbering system so smooth and consistent, innit?
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  17. PreRunr's Avatar
    Posts
    344 Posts
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    #17  
    You can use Navit to go to a street address, you just need to set up the search properly with Just Type using Navit Maps. It uses Google maps to get the exact location. Instructions are Navit for webOS, a short introduction
  18. #18  
    Google Maps on Preware (not an official app) is rapidly developing into a great maps app, including routing and directions. Unfortunately, the one difficult platform for it is the Pre3, as the screen size leads to scaling issues that the approve is struggling with, as he doesn't have a Pre3 and the emulator apparently isn't quite good enough. There's plenty of enthusiasm for his work, though, and Pre3 owners are trying to organize a collection to buy him a Pre3 to develop on.

    A full-body case is going to be about impossible to come by, since the Pre3 was barely released before it was pulled off the market. A Skinomi full-body skin may be your best bet for protecting the finish. If your bigger concern is for impact protection, you may need to give up on the one-handed case and switch to a pouch-style case. I found a good one from Dicota that's for a Blackberry Torch 9800 (whose dimensions are almost identical to the Pre3). I was already used to using the Pre+'s pouch case, so this really works for me. It's a hard leather case with both a pull tab and side cutouts; I find that it's easy to remove the Pre3, yet it won't fall out (at least, not after 3 weeks of use). The interior is lined with the same material you'd see on a cleaning cloth, which is good for the screen. The only downside is that it's expensive for a case--$25 at Amazon, as I recall.

    I've also purchased a Skinomi screen protector--that's going to tighten up the fit a bit, but I won't know just how much until I get it installed later this week.

    Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Pre³ (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Pre³ Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
  19. carldc's Avatar
    Posts
    441 Posts
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    #19  
    PDair actually makes a line of Pre 3 cases. I've used one happily for some time now.
    As for a pouch, Amzer makes an inexpensive ($8 on Amazon, last I checked) black iPhone pouch that works. It needs a bit of stretching at the top, but with some work, it's a nice fit. Kind of like a "llittle-black-dress" for the Pre 3.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions