1.    #1  
    Somebody accidentally dropped my Pre 3 and it turned off immediately and wouldn't turn on, so I took it apart and found three broken components on the PCB (all three are actually the same component). I want to try and fix it instead of replacing the whole board, but I don't know what are these components and where I can get them. Can you identify them and/or tell me where can I find them?

Marked in RED: the three broken components.
    Marked in GREEN: the same component in other places on the board.

You can see how a working board looks like in the first picture in this tread: HP Pre 3 dissasembly - PCB photos
    Last edited by isagar2004; 07/16/2012 at 01:37 PM.
    TouchPad Virtual Keyboard Patches
    webOS Scrollbars

Like my work? Want to support it? Want to thank me?
    It's hard to tell from the top-down view, but they look like surface-mount magnetics (inductors, transformers, common-mode chokes, etc.). They're common around switching power supplies, which I would expect to find a few of, but not necessarily as many as there appears to be on the Pre 3. Can you get a view from the side? Do they look like Cylon basestars (original series, square top instead of circular).

Ottermatic
    This is a lousy picture (and by lousy I mean useless), but this is the type of thing I'm suspecting they are: Photo - XFL2005 Series Shielded Power Inductors

Looking at one from the top, I saw some orange, which makes me believe I'm looking at copper wire coiled around the center. Is that what you're seeing?

Ottermatic
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottermatic View Post
    It's hard to tell from the top-down view, but they look like surface-mount magnetics (inductors, transformers, common-mode chokes, etc.). They're common around switching power supplies, which I would expect to find a few of, but not necessarily as many as there appears to be on the Pre 3. Can you get a view from the side? Do they look like Cylon basestars (original series, square top instead of circular).

Ottermatic
    This is a lousy picture (and by lousy I mean useless), but this is the type of thing I'm suspecting they are: Photo - XFL2005 Series Shielded Power Inductors

Looking at one from the top, I saw some orange, which makes me believe I'm looking at copper wire coiled around the center. Is that what you're seeing?

Ottermatic
    Well, I think that the top is some sort of magnet because it's the only thing that's broken and magnets break easily. All I can see in the picture you linked to is a black square, so I can't tell if this is that part that I'm looking for. I tried to take a picture from the side, but I'm not sure how much you can learn from it, so I've also attached a drawing of what I can see here:
    webOS Scrollbars

Yeah, like I said, the picture was mostly useless.

Your sketch is what I thought they might be (not sure if you can see the basestar analogy; maybe that's like looking at stars and trying to see a constellation).

Identifying them without part markings is next to impossible. One way would be to take good parts and hook them up to an LCR meter, which isn't something I'd expect you to have laying around (either the good parts or the LCR meter). Another possibility is to figure out which power supply it is, get the data sheet for the controller, and look up the recommended part; I'd bet dollars to donuts that's all they're using.

Past that... uh... bribe someone at Foxconn to get a copy of the BOM (Bill Of Materials) that they built to?

Ottermatic
  6.    #6  
    Yeah, like I said, the picture was mostly useless.

Your sketch is what I thought they might be (not sure if you can see the basestar analogy; maybe that's like looking at stars and trying to see a constellation).

Identifying them without part markings is next to impossible. One way would be to take good parts and hook them up to an LCR meter, which isn't something I'd expect you to have laying around (either the good parts or the LCR meter). Another possibility is to figure out which power supply it is, get the data sheet for the controller, and look up the recommended part; I'd bet dollars to donuts that's all they're using.

Past that... uh... bribe someone at Foxconn to get a copy of the BOM (Bill Of Materials) that they built to?

Ottermatic
    Well, actually I can use good components from other places of the board. The problem is to get a LCR meter.
    Oh, and the data sheet option is no go. Qualcomm never released anything about its products to the public. It's impossible to get it.
    On the other hand, I googled around and found this forum topic on some Russian site. Apparently, the Sony Xperia Arc uses the same Qualcomm chipset, so hopefully we can gather more information about the parts.

EDIT: Ok, I know that it's the pm8058 chipset, but it still doesn't give us anything.
    Last edited by isagar2004; 07/16/2012 at 07:54 PM.
    webOS Scrollbars

Well, I'm not sure if the Qualcomm part has internal switching controllers or if they're external (I've never designed anything using Qualcomm ICs). The magnetics may or may not be the same, so measuring one from one spot might not tell you what the others are. Your best bet would be to find another board and pull the parts off of it. Wasn't there someone on here selling a Pre 3 for parts?

In the meantime, I'll try to come up with something else...

Ottermatic
  8.    #8  
    Well, I'm not sure if the Qualcomm part has internal switching controllers or if they're external (I've never designed anything using Qualcomm ICs). The magnetics may or may not be the same, so measuring one from one spot might not tell you what the others are. Your best bet would be to find another board and pull the parts off of it. Wasn't there someone on here selling a Pre 3 for parts?

In the meantime, I'll try to come up with something else...

Ottermatic
    If I buy another board, I don't need to fix this one and I can just replace the whole thing (unless, of course, I buy a defective Pre 3 board or a Veer board which mainly has the same PMIC design). Besides, I tried to google for a Pre 3 board or for a Veer board with no luck. I hope I'll find something soon, or that you'll come up with something. Otherwise I'll have to sell this phone for parts.
    webOS Scrollbars

Quote Originally Posted by isagar2004 View Post
    If I buy another board, I don't need to fix this one and I can just replace the whole thing (unless, of course, I buy a defective Pre 3 board or a Veer board which mainly has the same PMIC design)...
    The ball is in your court
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulscarbs View Post
    The ball is in your court
    I know. I just need to decide if it worth replacing the board with one that has a damaged SIM slot and getting a new IMEI of a phone which was activated in the UK and therefore can't access US paid apps.
    Right now I'm waiting for someone to come up and offer a damaged board or an identification of the parts and a place where I can get them. If that won't work, I'll have to decide if I want to buy your board or to sell my phone for parts (or maybe even keep it to myself for parts).
    webOS Scrollbars