1.    #1  
    I just bought an S3 and having had it a week now I miss and appreciate webOS even more. However, one of the things though that drove me away from webOS was the horrible GPS. It took 5 minutes to get a lock and then it was always off by several hundred yards. So If I pay Verizon 4.99 a month for Navigator will I have a great turn by turn GPS?

Thanks!!
    Last edited by TonyCannoli; 07/16/2012 at 12:02 AM.
    From my experience, I had VZ Navigator for ages and it's always been great

I dislike the idea of having to buy an app just because Verizon crippled the GPS systems in our phones, but from a technical standpoint I would say that VZ Navigator would most likely perform great

I however have no experience with it on the Pre/-/+/2/3 families so you'll have to get a second opinion
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

GPS on my VZW Pre Plus was terrible, I know exactly what you're talking about.
    But GPS made a 180 on my Pre 2. Got a lock in less than ten seconds (usually under five) and was extremely accurate (withing 10 yards, usually better). I was truly impressed with its turnaround.

Now I have a Pre 3 which is about on par with my Pre 2 for mapping-related tasks, and even a bit quicker with simple "detecting my location" apps. So, yes, it was totally fixed for me at least.
    Palm Zire 72 > TX > Treo 700w > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Pre Plus > Pre 2 > Pre 3
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    I don't have VZW Navigator on my Pre 2 or Pre 3 and never had the GPS issue like I did on the Pre Plus. I did have a little time on the Pre 2 that had some issues but that went away once I doctored it.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Yes, the Pre 2 and Pre 3 GPS acquisition is pretty good, though sadly it doesn't have GLONASS.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupfernigk View Post
    Yes, the Pre 2 and Pre 3 GPS acquisition is pretty good, though sadly it doesn't have GLONASS.
    GLONASS? Do you really think Glonass compatibility would dramatically improve Pre3 signal lock or precision?

@ OP
    I don't know what it's with VZW handsets, but my unlocked Pre3 GPS relaibility is nice (using with GMaps, Bing & Navit). Signal acquisition in Navit is faster than my 2009 TomTom Go device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post
    GLONASS? Do you really think Glonass compatibility would dramatically improve Pre3 signal lock or precision?

@ OP
    I don't know what it's with VZW handsets, but my unlocked Pre3 GPS relaibility is nice (using with GMaps, Bing & Navit). Signal acquisition in Navit is faster than my 2009 TomTom Go device.
    On my Verizon Pre3, the GPS works fine with google maps, Bing, Mapping Tool Pro, Navit, and NDrive. Not like my pre+. I just have to make sure it is turned on, I have the patch to show it on the top of screen and in the menu to turn on and off so I know its working. I did install the GPs fix but I never have to use on the pre3. I do have pre go GPS installed and have used the pre3 as my gps for my touchpad. Before I had this I used a delorme BT-20 external gps on Mapping tool pro on my touchpad. Pre3 works great. My wifes Iphone has stronger Gps signal at times in the car, as it seems to get signal from anywhere in car while my pre3 has to be visually closer to window area. However the Pre3 in my estimation is the better operating system and I prefer it over my wifes Iphone for use.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I have pre+ and pre 3. from my observation, pre+ use mobile towers to pin your location so it does not seem like true GPS technology (use satellite). the accuracy is horrible...

for Pre 3, seems it has a true GPS chip and you can toggle it on and off. My experience is that leave it on does not drain too much extra battery. There is an app in Preware that you can have an icon to show whether the GPS is on or not, and a quick toggle switch to turn GPS on and off in the launcher.