Hi all,
    Please have patience with me (and no doubt a few good laughs) I've been reading some other threads regarding Pre 3 but feel I have more questions and need more help than that and would so very much appreciate help from those more experienced here.

FYI
    I am a new member here so I am starting to get the gist of some of the lingo, but doesn't mean I exactly understand what it means or how to do it.
    I am a verizon wireless customer and have been using a Pixi Plus for some time and am quite happy with it, except for when it wants to turn itself off.....
    Call me crazy but I love it, but I'm not a huge app person. I have too many other things to do to have time to sit and play games on my phone, I probably have downloaded 3 or 4 apps to my phone (go ahead and laugh now)
    I love to multitask so I could NOT bring myself to cave and get a Droid or iPhone, I love our card feature and just type feature too much, anyway i digress...
    I have heard the terms doctor, overclock, preware, homebrew, etc but don't really know what they are and why and how and will want help with that later, but for now I can't even get my new Pre 3 running without some answers. Please bear with me
    I am not totally useless, I've made my own ringtones by editing/cropping some of my mp3's and adding them to the phone, I know how to copy my photos and videos and music from the Pixi to my computer, and vice versa (so easy it's not even funny) but there are other things I care about that I don't want to lose and that's where I don't see these same questions somewhere else

1. When switching from my Pixi Plus to my Pre 3 (still with verizon) will I lose my texts and voicemails? To me it doesn't seem to make sense that I would if KEEPING the same phone number, but others have told me they did not transfer to their new phone. I would have thought that those items corresponded to the phone number, not the device, but I'm worried about it. Help?

2. I don't want to lose my contacts and more importantly my calendar. The vzw reps tell me that there's no way to transfer the calendar over because Palm is different - which I know isn't true because I see you guys here talk about doing it. But I've also read some threads here from people who have lost all their data in their profile and contacting Palm and they tell the person they cannot recover their data. I would prefer to have my contacts and calendar on both phones, but the Pre 3 instructions say that you can only use your profile on one phone. I'm afraid of signing into my profile on the Pre 3 and for who knows what reason, none of it transfers over, and then it's all lost on both phones and Palm won't help me either. My Pixi in Backup (which is turned On) says that "Your data is backed up automatically every day" but also lists the Last Backup date as January. It's July!!! What gives?! I don't know what to think. I'm about to start writing down all my contacts on paper just in case. (I pretty much only have name and numbers, and only about 30-40 contacts not hundreds like most people probably do) but why should I have to do that? Or I'm thinking about creating a whole other profile on the Pre3 and then manually entering my info from the Pixi... Is anyone falling out of their chairs yet??

3. I do have gmail, so I've seen people talk about syncing their info to their gmail, but my contacts in gmail are totally different, and I don't want them to merge. (Ok, I've never signed into gmail on my pixi and haven't done email on my pixi yet...) This seems to me probably the easiest way to make sure the contacts and calendar aren't lost, but i don't know how to do it. Also, if you can get your calendar into gmail, can you then get it into printable form as well? I've seen other people talking about methods that seem to upload their profile info to the cloud and then onto their new device, but am hoping/expecting that is because they are not going from a Palm phone to a Palm phone. Correct?

4. I am never gonna get this Pre3 activated at the rate I'm going without your help. It is a brand new Verizon Pre3 from an unopened box. When I turn it on, It asks me to choose language, accept terms, and then wants to call Verizon. This is where I stopped. Many have posted numerous difficulties activating with Verizon both online in MyVerizon, and with a rep. (Others had no problem, who knows why...) But most seem to say that you need to doctor (whatever that is) to 2.2.4 first. Another poster said his brand new Pre3 said 2.2.0 on the box but saw he had 2.2.4 on it when he checked the phone. Someone was nice enough to give directions on how to put the phone in dev mode to check which version it has, but then how do you get it out of dev mode? Then others listed not being able to activate until they installed a missing driver. I need advice on where to start.
    A. Should I just try to activate online, and/or with a VZW rep first, to see if I run into any trouble? Or will that just waste valuable hours?
    B. Should I just doctor to 2.2.4 to be safe and then try? (Others have and still wasn't enough) And if so I need detailed instructions, like which part of doctoring is done on the computer and which part is done on the phone. Unless that is detailed nicely in the link that someone will no doubt provide me because they feel such pity for me.
    C. Does activating the phone mean/include transferring the same phone number over? At which point in the activation does that take place? Before or after signing into your Palm profile? And am I better off just creating a new Palm profile?
    D. If it get stuck somehow in the middle of my activation will my phone number be assigned to the nonworking Pre3 and I won't be able to call or receive calls on the Pixi and be without a phone?

For someone like me you'd think it would just be easier to let the VZW rep do his job, but I want to protect all my info first, AND it seems not too many reps have a clue what to do with the Pre3 themselves, and are almost rude to you because they are supposed to be pushing their other devices. Also, I'd like to learn all this anyway so I can understand it, and do more things with my phone like you all do.
    If you've stayed with me til now, bless you so much, and please help me out. I'll try to keep any posts after this one extremely shorter.
    P.S. One more stupid question, to any who have loved their pixi and switched to a pre, is it really annoying having to slide the phone every time you want the keyboard, or do you get used to it in no time?
    To have every thing synced you just have to activate it on Verizon and then sign into your profile. On the Verizon site in your My Verizon thing you should be able to activate it in place. I forget how it was such a long time ago. and also I do miss me Pixi keyboard. It broke and I hate the PrPrPr&#$275$; $2$ $design$ $so$ $I$ $switched$ $to$ $a$ $KIN$ $ONEm$.

P.S. Do you live in Maine?
    Where do you live?

It would be safest to have another Palm member in that area help you. I too have read the posts that say a Pre3 VZW needs to be on 2.2.4, I'm about to get a phone next week.

If not, perhaps someone will do a chat or skype with you to walk thru the steps
    Thanks so much for replying, I hope others do as well.
    All I have to do is sign into my palm profile on the new pre3 and it will all just go there? and not be on the pixi anymore? But what if it only transfers my data from January and not today? I don't understand what is happening with my Backup and others have reported problems with backup. Should I try to have it copied/backup elsewhere just in case?

And no, sorry, I don't live in Maine.
    I just made this switch recently (on AT&T and then switched services right after to T-Mo). So, to answer your questions:

1. I'm not sure if Save/Restore will cover that, as I never bothered to even attempt to transfer them (wanted to stick with a clean device). Search for it, either in the forums or on webos-internals.org. Your Palm Profile though does not store them so Save/Restore would be your best bet. As for voicemail, that's tied to your VZW number. You won't loose that unless you change numbers.

2. Run backup manually to see if that helps. Personally, given the state of affairs, the only infor I store with my palm profile is my apps. Other than that, I use Google (for better or worse). Add a Google account (you have one if you signed up for any Google service) to whatever you want synced with Google and it will automatically be synced and stored with them.

3. Since you have gmail, add your account details in and let the phone work. Gmail doesn't have synergy, so it won't merge contacts together. If you're concerned, create a new contact list and copy all of your Gmail contacts into that list. That way, if things go south, you have a backup and can recover. I'm also sure Google Calender has a printable version available.

4. No need to disable dev mode. If you really want to, type the code in again and the app will come back up where you can disable it. As for activation, go ahead with it. If it fails, then try doctoring (webOS doctor is basically a tool used to wipe the device and start out factory fresh). Activation will transfer your number over and if your're worried about the Pixi going dead, just put it in airplane mode so that the Palm servers don't kill it (kill is a harsh word to describe what really happens).

Quote Originally Posted by meca View Post
    1. When switching from my Pixi Plus to my Pre 3 (still with verizon) will I lose my texts and voicemails? To me it doesn't seem to make sense that I would if KEEPING the same phone number, but others have told me they did not transfer to their new phone. I would have thought that those items corresponded to the phone number, not the device, but I'm worried about it. Help?

2. I don't want to lose my contacts and more importantly my calendar. The vzw reps tell me that there's no way to transfer the calendar over because Palm is different - which I know isn't true because I see you guys here talk about doing it. But I've also read some threads here from people who have lost all their data in their profile and contacting Palm and they tell the person they cannot recover their data. I would prefer to have my contacts and calendar on both phones, but the Pre 3 instructions say that you can only use your profile on one phone. I'm afraid of signing into my profile on the Pre 3 and for who knows what reason, none of it transfers over, and then it's all lost on both phones and Palm won't help me either. My Pixi in Backup (which is turned On) says that "Your data is backed up automatically every day" but also lists the Last Backup date as January. It's July!!! What gives?! I don't know what to think. I'm about to start writing down all my contacts on paper just in case. (I pretty much only have name and numbers, and only about 30-40 contacts not hundreds like most people probably do) but why should I have to do that? Or I'm thinking about creating a whole other profile on the Pre3 and then manually entering my info from the Pixi... Is anyone falling out of their chairs yet??

3. I do have gmail, so I've seen people talk about syncing their info to their gmail, but my contacts in gmail are totally different, and I don't want them to merge. (Ok, I've never signed into gmail on my pixi and haven't done email on my pixi yet...) This seems to me probably the easiest way to make sure the contacts and calendar aren't lost, but i don't know how to do it. Also, if you can get your calendar into gmail, can you then get it into printable form as well? I've seen other people talking about methods that seem to upload their profile info to the cloud and then onto their new device, but am hoping/expecting that is because they are not going from a Palm phone to a Palm phone. Correct?

4. I am never gonna get this Pre3 activated at the rate I'm going without your help. It is a brand new Verizon Pre3 from an unopened box. When I turn it on, It asks me to choose language, accept terms, and then wants to call Verizon. This is where I stopped. Many have posted numerous difficulties activating with Verizon both online in MyVerizon, and with a rep. (Others had no problem, who knows why...) But most seem to say that you need to doctor (whatever that is) to 2.2.4 first. Another poster said his brand new Pre3 said 2.2.0 on the box but saw he had 2.2.4 on it when he checked the phone. Someone was nice enough to give directions on how to put the phone in dev mode to check which version it has, but then how do you get it out of dev mode? Then others listed not being able to activate until they installed a missing driver. I need advice on where to start.
    A. Should I just try to activate online, and/or with a VZW rep first, to see if I run into any trouble? Or will that just waste valuable hours?
    B. Should I just doctor to 2.2.4 to be safe and then try? (Others have and still wasn't enough) And if so I need detailed instructions, like which part of doctoring is done on the computer and which part is done on the phone. Unless that is detailed nicely in the link that someone will no doubt provide me because they feel such pity for me.
    C. Does activating the phone mean/include transferring the same phone number over? At which point in the activation does that take place? Before or after signing into your Palm profile? And am I better off just creating a new Palm profile?
    D. If it get stuck somehow in the middle of my activation will my phone number be assigned to the nonworking Pre3 and I won't be able to call or receive calls on the Pixi and be without a phone?

For someone like me you'd think it would just be easier to let the VZW rep do his job, but I want to protect all my info first, AND it seems not too many reps have a clue what to do with the Pre3 themselves, and are almost rude to you because they are supposed to be pushing their other devices. Also, I'd like to learn all this anyway so I can understand it, and do more things with my phone like you all do.
    If you've stayed with me til now, bless you so much, and please help me out. I'll try to keep any posts after this one extremely shorter.
    P.S. One more stupid question, to any who have loved their pixi and switched to a pre, is it really annoying having to slide the phone every time you want the keyboard, or do you get used to it in no time?
    I forgot to ask, does/can verizon charge an activation fee if you didn't even get the phone through them? I thought only if you bought one directly through them. Anyone know for sure?
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    There is no fee for chaining your device if you do it through their online tool. If a CS Rep does it it'll be $20.
    I have heard the terms doctor, overclock, preware, homebrew, etc but don't really know what they are and why and how and will want help with that later, but for now I can't even get my new Pre 3 running without some answers. Please bear with me
    I am not totally useless, I've made my own ringtones by editing/cropping some of my mp3's and adding them to the phone, I know how to copy my photos and videos and music from the Pixi to my computer, and vice versa (so easy it's not even funny) but there are other things I care about that I don't want to lose and that's where I don't see these same questions somewhere else
    On your Pixi, purchase the Preware Documentation app. It has good detail on what homebrew is and how Preware helps. If you are going to use the same profile on your Pre3 as the Pixi, it should transfer over to your Pre3 along with your other purchased apps.

Your voicemail should be on Verizon's servers not your phone so they should be ok. Your sms's wont transfer automatically. There are some homebrew solutions for this, just search the forums.

2. I don't want to lose my contacts and more importantly my calendar. The vzw reps tell me that there's no way to transfer the calendar over because Palm is different - which I know isn't true because I see you guys here talk about doing it. But I've also read some threads here from people who have lost all their data in their profile and contacting Palm and they tell the person they cannot recover their data. I would prefer to have my contacts and calendar on both phones, but the Pre 3 instructions say that you can only use your profile on one phone. I'm afraid of signing into my profile on the Pre 3 and for who knows what reason, none of it transfers over, and then it's all lost on both phones and Palm won't help me either.
    This is true, you can only use one profile on one phone. So if you sign into your profile on your Pre3, your Pixi data will be erased as it is signed out of your profile. However, if you put your Pixi in airplane mode and leave it there -- it won't be signed out. The minute it gets Internet access it will sign out, though.

My Pixi in Backup (which is turned On) says that "Your data is backed up automatically every day" but also lists the Last Backup date as January. It's July!!! What gives?! I don't know what to think. I'm about to start writing down all my contacts on paper just in case. (I pretty much only have name and numbers, and only about 30-40 contacts not hundreds like most people probably do) but why should I have to do that?
    Theoretically, if your backup is current your profile data in your Palm profile(calendar, contacts, etc) should transfer over to your Pre3 ---- IF you use the same profile. Personally, I would continue to write everything down just to be safe. Then push "Backup Now" in the backup app on your Pixi. It should tell you if it was successful. If it is successful, you should have less to worry about.

If it isn't and you haven't setup your Pre3 yet, turn backup off (it won't erase the data on your Pixi), wait, then turn it on (as a way to force it to backup your data). Of course you do run the risk that backup won't work and thus there won't be and calendar or contact data in your profile to transfer. You just have to make the call whether to do this or not.

I went from a Pre to a Pre2 and all my data did transfer. However there are others that have problems.

Or I'm thinking about creating a whole other profile on the Pre3 and then manually entering my info from the Pixi..
    If you do this none of your apps or data will transfer, but on a positive side your Pixi won't be automatically signed out.

3. I do have gmail, so I've seen people talk about syncing their info to their gmail, but my contacts in gmail are totally different, and I don't want them to merge. (Ok, I've never signed into gmail on my pixi and haven't done email on my pixi yet...) This seems to me probably the easiest way to make sure the contacts and calendar aren't lost, but i don't know how to do it. Also, if you can get your calendar into gmail, can you then get it into printable form as well?
    To add gmail, all you have to do is put the account info into your Pixi in the email app. If you choose a google type account it will add it to the calendar and contacts app. If you are thinking of transferring your current data on the Pixi in the palm profile, you will have to go into each record and calendar event and switch if from your Palm profile to the google account.

Someone was nice enough to give directions on how to put the phone in dev mode to check which version it has, but then how do you get it out of dev mode?
    Just do the same thing to bring up the dev mode app and turn the switch to off. With any luck you won't need dev mode, and things will just go as they are supposed to go. Good luck.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Where do you live?

It would be safest to have another Palm member in that area help you. I too have read the posts that say a Pre3 VZW needs to be on 2.2.4, I'm about to get a phone next week.

If not, perhaps someone will do a chat or skype with you to walk thru the steps
    NYC area
    I have heard the terms doctor, overclock, preware, homebrew, etc but don't really know what they are and why and how and will want help with that later

Everyone else answered the rest AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK..

the webOS Doctor is a utility with the purpose of reinstalling webOS onto a device. (equivalent to iTunes restoring an iPhone)
    It's usually used for recovery.
    Meta-doctors are hacked together doctors for:
    A) devices that don't officially exist - (hacked together Sprint Pre 2's)
    B) devices that don't officially have a more recent version of webOS (e.g. 2.1 on Pre+'s)

Overclocking is speeding up the processor.
    Typically speeds up the device at the cost of battery life and increased heat usually.
    It's super-easy, install Uberkernel (the core) and Govnah (the control panel), however, it requires sufficient common sense and better yet, reading the help section. (there's more to it also, like Underclocking (opposite of overclocking), different governors (kinda like the personality of the processor in regards to speed changes), and lots of other parameters are there.

Preware is the unofficial app store,but it carries more than just homebrew apps. There are patches (which can change parts of the OS to your liking) and themes (pretty pictures!).

This is from memory, so if I'm wrong in anything, feel free to correct me.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive