1.    #1  
    Background:

I have an unlocked Pre3 o T-Mo USA. Although my fiance's N8 can allow her to manually select a network, I cannot. However, I came across this thread:

unlocled ATT Veer Not on ATT

Now, I tried applying the patch, but it failed. Further looking into it, it seems the files it modified were either renamed or moved (find / -name can't find them). Does anyone know if this patch will be updated for 2.2.4? If not, can anyone give some advice on what files to modify and what lines to alter?
  2. g7
    webOS 2.2.x has an entire new phone application.

The only thing that I suggest is to go with the EU firmware, as it supports Manual Network Selection.
    You should use impersonation to accomplish this Pre 3 Impersonation - WebOS Internals

(Note: the script name are changed as now webOS 2.2.4 is out, so you'll need to use ./scripts/meta-att-pre3-impersonate-wr-2.2.4)

Eugenio
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by g7 View Post
    webOS 2.2.x has an entire new phone application.

The only thing that I suggest is to go with the EU firmware, as it supports Manual Network Selection.
    You should use impersonation to accomplish this Pre 3 Impersonation - WebOS Internals

(Note: the script name are changed as now webOS 2.2.4 is out, so you'll need to use ./scripts/meta-att-pre3-impersonate-wr-2.2.4)

Eugenio
    Yeah, I saw the posts with the vanilla AT&T scripts (and I guess that's another way to the end goal) but I'm not looking to doctor unless there's no other way (already did it last week and I don't really have the time to restore everything right now). For the now, I'd prefer to just modify the files. If I listed the specific file that I believe has the locks in place, would anyone be willing to post an EU/ROW version of that file?
  4. g7
    I have an EU pre3, glad to help Or you can just get it from the EU doctor.
    Maybe, to be sure what is changed, you can download both the EU and ATT doctors, and perform a diff on the com.palm.app.phone directory. That will list the differences with the two applications.

Eugenio
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    Background:

I have an unlocked Pre3 o T-Mo USA. Although my fiance's N8 can allow her to manually select a network, I cannot. However, I came across this thread:

unlocled ATT Veer Not on ATT

Now, I tried applying the patch, but it failed. Further looking into it, it seems the files it modified were either renamed or moved (find / -name can't find them). Does anyone know if this patch will be updated for 2.2.4? If not, can anyone give some advice on what files to modify and what lines to alter?
    Is this an Att Pre3? Is it on 2.2.3? I can try to put something together for you.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    Is this an Att Pre3? Is it on 2.2.3? I can try to put something together for you.
    Yes, an AT&T Pre3 but I'm already on 2.2.4. You think the change to 2.2.4 changed the files? If you want, I can try finding them for you if they did change.
    Yes, an AT&T Pre3 but I'm already on 2.2.4. You think the change to 2.2.4 changed the files? If you want, I can try finding them for you if they did change.
    It's ok. I just wanted to be sure.

You can try the attached version. All I did was enable the controls. You will have to test whether the changes actually get saved if you switch networks.

If the changes don't stay, that means there are deeper settings somewhere stopping it, possibly the sim itself not allowing the change.

install patch, restart Luna.

let me know if it works.

edit: patch removed because of an error in it. see later post.
    Last edited by frantid; 07/11/2012 at 03:10 AM.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
  8.    #8  
    It's ok. I just wanted to be sure.

You can try the attached version. All I did was enable the controls. You will have to test whether the changes actually get saved if you switch networks.

If the changes don't stay, that means there are deeper settings somewhere stopping it, possibly the sim itself not allowing the change.

install patch, restart Luna.

let me know if it works.
    Wow, talk about service! I'll post my results once I get a chance to install and test.
  9.    #9  
    OK, so that everyone knows, the file we're playing with is /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/shared/phoneprefs/controls/NetworkPref.jsjsjs.

Now, I couldn't get the patch to work. Here's what WOSQI said:

The test leading up to this was : (then it lists the header of the patch).

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with any patches I have installed or if maybe the patch had an error in it. Ideas on which may conflict?

However, seeing the lines that need modifying, I figure I stroll through the file. Here's what I found:

These lines were commented out (56-63):

/*{layoutKind: "HFlexLayout", name: "voiceRoamingRow", align: "center", tapHighlight: false, components: [
    {flex: 1, className: "greyed-out", content: "Voice Roaming"},
    {kind: "ToggleButton", name: "VoiceRoaming", onChange: "toggleVoiceRoaming"}
    ]},
    {layoutKind: "HFlexLayout", name: "ratRow", align: "center", tapHighlight: false, components: [
    {flex: 1, content: "RAT", className: "greyed-out"},
    {kind: "ToggleButton", name: "toggleRat", onChange: ""}
    ]},*/

(lines 135-136)
    //this.$.searchNetworklistItem.hide();
    //this.$.networkdetails.hide();

(lines139-140)
    //this.$.voiceRoamingRow.hide();
    //this.$.ratRow.hide();

(line 319)
    //if(!this.$.networkDetailsdrawer.collapsed) {//close drawer (there's a few of these for different situations it seems)

Now, this else I found on line 398 (around the area where the patch starts):
    else {
    this.manualNetworkAvailable = false;
    this.$.networkAutoSelectRow.hide();
    this.$.reading_networklist_row.hide();
    this.$.networknameContainer.show();
    }

The if statement before it does not need to be changed by the patch, as it's true already. Also, if I read the patch correctly, I think you used the wrong line number (you're off by 1-3 lines).

(lines 498-500)
    /*toggleVoiceRoaming: function() {
    this.voiceRoamingSelect();
    },*/

Now, I don't know if these commented lines have anything to do with this, but it appears that from my simple knowledge of C ad Java, those lines are the lines that enable the function and show areas where you can set those functions. I'm also attaching the actual file on my phone for you to go through to see if that helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Why not change a System Preference?

Use Impostah and change showUpdateNetworkSettings from false to true?

You can also use command line and use sqlite3 to change the System Preferences, much easier and is the better way.

You can also change the file system_customization.json it is located in usr/lib/luna/customization/ and change it from false to true, but then you must do a full erase for that to take effect.
    We have different versions of the file. I grabbed the wrong one from the wrong doctor. I'll look at your file. Makes me wonder what else is commented out.

OK, so that everyone knows, the file we're playing with is /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/shared/phoneprefs/controls/NetworkPref.jsjsjs.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with any patches I have installed or if maybe the patch had an error in it. Ideas on which may conflict?

However, seeing the lines that need modifying, I figure I stroll through the file. Here's what I found:

/*{layoutKind: "HFlexLayout", name: "voiceRoamingRow", align: "center", tapHighlight: false, components: [
    ]},
    {layoutKind: "HFlexLayout", name: "ratRow", align: "center", tapHighlight: false, components: [
    ]},*/

(lines 135-136)

(lines139-140)
    //this.$.ratRow.hide();

(line 319)
    //if(!this.$.networkDetailsdrawer.collapsed) {//close drawer (there's a few of these for different situations it seems)

else {
    }

The if statement before it does not need to be changed by the patch, as it's true already. Also, if I read the patch correctly, I think you used the wrong line number (you're off by 1-3 lines).

(lines 498-500)
    /*toggleVoiceRoaming: function() {
    this.voiceRoamingSelect();
    },*/

Now, I don't know if these commented lines have anything to do with this, but it appears that from my simple knowledge of C ad Java, those lines are the lines that enable the function and show areas where you can set those functions. I'm also attaching the actual file on my phone for you to go through to see if that helps.

My apologies, it was a simple mistake in how I typed the name of the file. (I added an 's' -- doh)

It turns out the files across the different doctors are the same.

Try this one, it's the same with the 's' removed from the name on the headers.
    Attached Files Attached Files

]},
    ]},*/

(lines 135-136)

(lines139-140)
    //this.$.ratRow.hide();

(line 319)
    Seems like they changed the interface design, but left the older pieces in as comment text. I don't think we have to worry about those.

else {
    }

I force the "enabled" variable to true above. So it will only do the true portion of the if statement. Those lines should not run.

The patch line numbers include the reference lines that occur before the lines that are to be modified. (3 lines of text, including white space, where possible.). All done automagically, by Jason's UnifiedDiffCreator.

Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post

You can also use command line and use sqlite3 to change the System Preferences, much easier and is the better way.

You can also change the file system_customization.json it is located in usr/lib/luna/customization/ and change it from false to true, but then you must do a full erase for that to take effect.
    It's a valid question. Personal preference???

I suppose I default to patching because it has been made so easy by webOS Internals and Jason R's tools. Using EPR from Preware, quickly puts my device back to stock.

I did edit the customization.json for my ATT veers though.

15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post

Didn't think of it. Unfortunately, I tried it and it yielded nothing. I even tried over riding hide rat selection to no avail. I'll try the new patch when I get a chance to give that a go.
  16.    #16  
    My apologies, it was a simple mistake in how I typed the name of the file. (I added an 's' -- doh)

It turns out the files across the different doctors are the same.

Try this one, it's the same with the 's' removed from the name on the headers.
    Alright, I tried the patch and low-and-behold the settings appeared! However, on restart, I did notice the following:

-If I select AT&T, the phone app menu tab disappears. Tapping it still brings up the menu, but it's a blank space. However, this isn't a problem when the home carrier is selected. I guess there's a setting which prevents non-home carrier strings from displaying.

Other than that, If I left manual selection on prior to restarting, it sticks.
    Alright, I tried the patch and low-and-behold the settings appeared! However, on restart, I did notice the following:

-If I select AT&T, the phone app menu tab disappears. Tapping it still brings up the menu, but it's a blank space. However, this isn't a problem when the home carrier is selected. I guess there's a setting which prevents non-home carrier strings from displaying.
    I believe it queries the sim or network for what to display in the menu.

On my unlocked French Pre3, I can manually search for networks -- it shows all the network names. I can choose one, it stays in the settings. However the menu tab, still lists my carrier, "Vodafone". I think it has agreements with all the other carriers, because I don't get the roaming indicator either.