1.    #1  
    So I am new to the community, and a new owner of a Palm Pre 3 for Verizon, an upgrade from my Pixi Plus. My problem is I went to a Verizon store new phone in hand, to have a representative activate it. He had difficulties getting it to speak to the data base, tried some manual programming to the phone to get it to communicate to the data base and get it activated. It was left unfinished (end of business day), but the phone itself appeared to shut off during the process, for no reason, and now all I have on the screen when I plug it in is a large battery icon with a question (?) mark inside of it. Not responsive at all. Looking for assurances he did not make a brick out of my phone right out of the box, and how to proceed to fix this. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
    Try taking out the battery for a minute or so.

If that doesn't work, hold the volume up button while switching on the phone until you see the USB icon and run the webOS Doctor. That might solve it.

When I had this with my Veer once it was the battery, but the Doctor doesn't do harm either anyway to try.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by SE360 View Post
    So I am new to the community, and a new owner of a Palm Pre 3 for Verizon
    A Pre 3 will not lock onto a base station fresh out of the box. You have to WebOS Doctor it first to fix up the software. You should have signal strength bars displaying in the upper right corner of the display if your software is updated.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the replys. I am still having trouble getting the phone to restart. I've pulled the battery multiple times, and tried the power + volume trick to no avail. I spoke with the Verizon agent to see EXACTLY what he did, and all that he said he tried was a manual programming code; ##626#. I am trying to charge the phone but not getting any response or feedback from it, even though it charged fine right out of the box.

The phone blacked out in the middle of trying to authenticate the activation. It had cycled through a few times and kept coming up with 'programming error'. I am assuming the WebOS Doctor would address the programming errors, but stumped as to why it won't respond at all, it responded completely normally when I initially charged it. Not dropped, not damaged, brand new phone, and don't know how to get WebOS Doctor to load on to it without being able to see anything on the screen. Help!
    The ? means that the device is not able to communicate with the battery.
    This communications is done by a chip in the battery and a chip (A9) in the device.
    If the problem is the A6, there is no known way to repair it.
    EDIT: sometimes it repairs by it's self after some time (I had this). Try again battery pull for 1/2 hour. Try charging for hours.
    Get a different device or send it to HP.
    Try a different battery.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks again for all the feedback. Will an aftermarket Mugen battery (or similar) fix this issue? I'm at a loss as to how this started up just fine, and then this communication error occurred. As I mentioned, the only actions taken were to initially charge it, and try and get it to authenticate on the network. Just odd to me.
    Thanks again for all the feedback. Will an aftermarket Mugen battery (or similar) fix this issue?
    Nobody knows as said above.
    EDIT: Maybe you can find a member of this forum (with pre3) near where you live and test it.
    Thanks again for all the feedback. Will an aftermarket Mugen battery (or similar) fix this issue? I'm at a loss as to how this started up just fine, and then this communication error occurred. As I mentioned, the only actions taken were to initially charge it, and try and get it to authenticate on the network. Just odd to me.
    I have this problem with my Pre 3 and nothing has been able to help so far.

According to Palm Support
    Palm Support : TouchPad (Wi-Fi) - My AC charger does not charge my device
    "If you see a large plug icon or a large battery icon without a lightning bolt, continue to step 2. If you see a large battery icon with a question mark, contact HP Support."

It seems this problem really is a warranty claim.
  9.    #9  
    So I'm going to ask two very obvious questions. Did you try a new battery? And there is no warranty for any of us, is there?