Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By therealnabster
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  1.    #1  
    So i have t-mobile prepaid sim card, which originally came off a $10 t-mobile phone, transferred and activated on an iphone 3g. This was done over the phone w t-mobile, w/ the iPhone's IMEI number.

    So i have a brand spanking new att branded unlocked pre3 in my hand, just came in today from Amazon. My problem is i didn't anticipate that i couldn't buy a StraightTalk sim physically @ walmart. You have to order it online. I just did, and from my calculations it won't be here till at least Wednesday. So that's my plan, to use it on StraightTalk's $45 plan.

    But can i use the t-mobile sim i have to activate the phone so i can at least play with it till wednesday/thursday. When i get the StraightTalk sim, i was going to transfer my current T-mobile # anyway. Does popping in the t-mobile sim card during first activation somehow hardcode something, making it difficult for the StraightTalk sim swap a few days later?

    I hope i was able to express my question. I am new to the Palm world completely, coming from the iOS world, long time iPhone user, i had the original, and then the 3g which i've been using till now. WebOS has tempted me for years, and i finally bit the bullet, and now i'm just so impatient to play around with it. Hello to all you webOS lovers.
  2. #2  
    First off, Welcome to webOS... It's good to hear that you are making the plunge. We need all the new influx we can get.

    To answer your questions: Go ahead and activate/set up your profile with the T-Mo SIM. That will be fine. Just be careful about using a micro SIM adapter. There are a few reports that people have trouble with them. So long as you are aware and use caution it should be OK. If it appears to get stuck or be difficult, back up from pulling it out and make sure the micro is seated well...

    Make sure you have the APN setting you need for T-Mo in case your Pre 3 doesn't read it off the SIM. There is a chance to enter it manually if you don't get data during first use. When I went through first use with my GSM unlocked Pre 2 I used a T-Mo SIM I borrowed from a friend. It read the APN and I had no problems setting up a profile. But with my unlocked AT&T Veer, I needed to input the APN manually.

    The only thing you will be "setting in stone" during first use is the profile you will have on HP's servers that will do cloud back-up of your account info... And even that can be changed down the road, if you want.

    It won't lock your phone to T-Mo or use up your unlock in any way... You can then go back to the iPhone or run the Pre 3... Once your profile is established you could just use the Pre 3 in WiFi mode until your ST SIM comes in. Your choice.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
    pinoyrepn1124 likes this.
  3.    #3  
    ok so after waiting days and weeks for all the shipments to come in, and missing my sim card at the door from fedex twice, i finally figured everything out, and i am now on the straight talk network, with H+ showing up frm time to time.

    loving the pre3 so far, such a beautiful device, both visually and aesthetically.

    so where do i go from here, i found the pre3 compatible apps list thread on this site, and will be following that closely.

    -my question is about preware, what is that?
    -also, how do i change the network name on the phone, as it always says HOME for straight talk?
    -how do you do that cool squiggly dock that pulls up from the bottom, that i used to see on videos?
    -and how does Skype work? When i installed the 2.2.4 update, it said that Skype was now integrated. but its also available on the app catalog, which i downloaded. but no actual app for it shows up on the pre3. how do i Skype someone?

    i'm a palm newb, go easy now.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by therealnabster View Post
    ok so after waiting days and weeks for all the shipments to come in, and missing my sim card at the door from fedex twice, i finally figured everything out, and i am now on the straight talk network, with H+ showing up frm time to time.

    loving the pre3 so far, such a beautiful device, both visually and aesthetically.

    so where do i go from here, i found the pre3 compatible apps list thread on this site, and will be following that closely.

    -my question is about preware, what is that?
    -also, how do i change the network name on the phone, as it always says HOME for straight talk?
    -how do you do that cool squiggly dock that pulls up from the bottom, that i used to see on videos?
    -and how does Skype work? When i installed the 2.2.4 update, it said that Skype was now integrated. but its also available on the app catalog, which i downloaded. but no actual app for it shows up on the pre3. how do i Skype someone?

    i'm a palm newb, go easy now.
    Welcome to webOS, (again)! Now to answer your questions:

    1. Preware is the best application capable of installing wonderful homebrew applications. There are several ways to get preware on your device. I would recommend webOS Quick Install, by Jason Robataille, a java program you'll be able to access hundreds of quality patches and apps. Info: http://forums.webosnation.com/canuck...-v4-4-0-a.html Follow the instructions on that thread, and that will get you up and running. More info: How To: Install Homebrew on your Pre

    2. The cool squiggly dock? Just have your phone at the wallpaper(launcher closed) and gently drag your finger from the bottom up and you'll be able to launch an app from there.

    3. I've never skyped on my pre 2 before, but I think it's available from the phone app. (I don't know much else.)

    4. As for the network saying HOME, ask RumoredNow about it. (This might get you network to not say home) He gave me an add-on the the carrierdb.json file. Info here: HOWTO: Edit your carrierdb.json file If this doesn't work for you, you could also intall the HP webOS carrier line patch from preware, (once you install it). Good luck!
    "The best way to get something done is to begin" ~ Author Unknown
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by AwesomePalmPre127 View Post
    Welcome to webOS...
    Yep, Welcome and glad you're activated.


    Quote Originally Posted by AwesomePalmPre127 View Post
    2. The cool squiggly dock? Just have your phone at the wallpaper(launcher closed) and gently drag your finger from the bottom up and you'll be able to launch an app from there.
    Erm... Not from the wallpaper... That's when you see the static launcher bar on the bottom of the screen and can edit it. (Throw an App Icon Up to remove it from the bar... Open Launcher and hold an Icon - drag it to the bottom of the screen to add it to the launcher bar... You can place it in the order you want it. Up to 5 Apps can be on the launcher bar and one of them must be the Launcher button) {Side rant: The Launcher Button being mandatory on the bar makes no sense to me as a sweep up from gesture opens the launcher when on wallpaper [desktop] and when in an app I'd rather have one more assignable choice for my Wave Launcher.}

    The squiggly dock you're asking about is the Wave Launcher. When you have an App open and you want another one... Drag your finger up from the gesture area onto the screen (not too fast - a quick sweep up minimizes open Apps to card view) and you will see a flexible "Ribbon" or "Wave" that has your preset icons on it. Hold on one, then release to open that App.


    Quote Originally Posted by AwesomePalmPre127 View Post
    4. As for the network saying HOME, ask RumoredNow about it. (This might get you network to not say home) He gave me an add-on the the carrierdb.json file. Info here: HOWTO: Edit your carrierdb.json file If this doesn't work for you, you could also intall the HP webOS carrier line patch from preware, (once you install it). Good luck!
    Home is a bit annoying. Editing the Carrier Long/Short Name entries in carrierdb.json does not change how it displays. I tried.

    There are a few Top Bar Patches by Jason Robataille that will change it: Palm Carrier String and HP WebOS Carrier String are two faves. There is also Date as Carrier String...

    See my post Over Here to replace your AT&T logo with a ST logo on boot and Luna restart. There are also some cool images in there by immovablesoup and geekpeter for substituting webOS nation images for standard bootup images.
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 07/15/2012 at 01:56 PM.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  6. #6  
    Skype is integrated in the phone already, no need to install app. Open up messaging app and then swipe down from top left corner and select "Preferences & Accounts" from there you can add your Skype account along with any others, AIM, Google Talk, etc.

    Or you can go to "system" menu and "Accounts" and achieve the same thing.

    once your done you can open your messaging app and click up top right where it says "Buddies" and log on from there or view who's online.

    Also once all is good you can then open up the dialer app and swipe down top left corner and see your how much Skype credit you have if you use it to call phone numbers.

    To make Skype calls you can just go to contact like regular and there will be a Skype option within the contact. Providing they are "linked" already. If not just manually link them like you would a Facebook contact.

    Just incase you don't know how to link contacts, open up contact, tap up top where their name is and it should slide open. Then you should see a lil paper clip icon that says "link more profiles..." hit that and then search for your Skype contact or whatever you want to link, Fb, Google Talk, AIM, etc..
    Last edited by Rookie4sho; 07/15/2012 at 03:39 PM.
  7.    #7  
    thanks for the prompt replies guys. awesome community, i hope to develop some day. So it seems i'm stuck again. Is there a known issue with not being able to install Preware if one is on a Mac, using OSX Lion, seems like there is, anyone know anything about this?
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by therealnabster View Post
    thanks for the prompt replies guys. awesome community, i hope to develop some day. So it seems i'm stuck again. Is there a known issue with not being able to install Preware if one is on a Mac, using OSX Lion, seems like there is, anyone know anything about this?
    Are there any errors with webOSQI? If so post back with the errors. (If there are any) (BTW, you will need java and novacom installed to connect to your device.)
    "The best way to get something done is to begin" ~ Author Unknown
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by therealnabster View Post
    thanks for the prompt replies guys. awesome community, i hope to develop some day. So it seems i'm stuck again. Is there a known issue with not being able to install Preware if one is on a Mac, using OSX Lion, seems like there is, anyone know anything about this?
    I use a mac with lion and have no issues, two big things first make sure have a good doctor (use touchpad 3.0.5) and install the latest novacom drivers (or the SDK), second make sure the USB cable is connect directly not thru a port/hub device.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookie4sho View Post
    Skype is integrated in the phone already, no need to install app. Open up messaging app and then swipe down from top left corner and select "Preferences & Accounts" from there you can add your Skype account along with any others, AIM, Google Talk, etc.

    Or you can go to "system" menu and "Accounts" and achieve the same thing.

    once your done you can open your messaging app and click up top right where it says "Buddies" and log on from there or view who's online.

    Also once all is good you can then open up the dialer app and swipe down top left corner and see your how much Skype credit you have if you use it to call phone numbers.

    To make Skype calls you can just go to contact like regular and there will be a Skype option within the contact. Providing they are "linked" already. If not just manually link them like you would a Facebook contact.

    Just incase you don't know how to link contacts, open up contact, tap up top where their name is and it should slide open. Then you should see a lil paper clip icon that says "link more profiles..." hit that and then search for your Skype contact or whatever you want to link, Fb, Google Talk, AIM, etc..
    FYI Verizon's Pre3 Dr, has a broken Skype by default, in the carrier apps their is a skype-download_1.0-2_armv7.ipk which breaks Skype if one ipkg removes it or removes the ipk from the carrier app then it will work, otherwise Skype has to be download from the app catalog.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    FYI Verizon's Pre3 Dr, has a broken Skype by default, in the carrier apps their is a skype-download_1.0-2_armv7.ipk which breaks Skype if one ipkg removes it or removes the ipk from the carrier app then it will work, otherwise Skype has to be download from the app catalog.
    Ha! Just another reason why I'd never get anything Verizon. I hear they break a lot of features from all their phones, and not just this Pre3 incident.

    Since the OP is moving over to Straight Talk and has an AT&T branded Pre 3, I assume he has GSM version . But then who really actually has a Verizon one? Aren't they more rare and more $$

    That's good to know though!
    Last edited by Rookie4sho; 07/15/2012 at 06:46 PM.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by therealnabster View Post
    thanks for the prompt replies guys. awesome community, i hope to develop some day. So it seems i'm stuck again. Is there a known issue with not being able to install Preware if one is on a Mac, using OSX Lion, seems like there is, anyone know anything about this?
    I believe your phone has to put into dev mode first also before it will install, can't remember.

Posting Permissions