webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Chess Clocks for the Pre 3
Chess Clocks for the Pre 3

Old 06/27/2012, 10:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hi, there are two free chess clock apps that appear in the Pre 3 app catalog, Simple Chess Clock and Game Clock, but neither work and both dev's sites (www.arkandos.de and www.unlimitedjuice.com appear to be offline. I would have purchased a paid app "Game Chess Clock" (yep - crazy app naming, huh?) but it only shows up with App Tuckerbox, but I can't seem to purchase it ("this is not a valid webOS app") because (1) I have a Pre 3, (2) I am in France, (3) the app has been pulled or all of the above.

Can anyone help me get either working? I'd prefer the second above (Game Clock), but both seem to require not to much to get them functioning:

- Simple Chess Clock miscalculates the screen, so the graphics are distorted
- Game Clock just flashes the app's icon on the app boot screen.

I'm not asking for a full ipk (both apps are free, but I don't know under what kind of licence), but just for someone to show me what to change in the app so they'll work. I've had a bit of success in Simple Chess Clock when I hardcoded screen dimensions, but it was still a bit ugly.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06/27/2012, 10:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

First, you'd need to find another Pre 3 owner that purchased both titles and happens to be a webOS developer. That's a tall order right there.

Then you have to ask them to pull the app off their device and spend a good number of hours digging through another developer's code in order to (maybe) fix it. That's a much, much taller order to ask of someone.

Based on what you're saying about Simple Chess Clock, it sounds like was built for a very specific resolution (Pre/Pre2) and unless you redesign the assets and probably a significant amount of code, it just wasn't meant for the Pre 3.

On the second title, that could be a whole bag of suck in its own right. Could be something dead easy, but it could also be fundamentally incompatible with the Pre 3 for one reason or another.

If you're really interested in getting this fixed, track down the original developer (you can even use http://web.archive.org to look at older versions of a website and find an email address or other means of contact) and ask if they'll open source the code. Life's a lot easier when that's readily available for anyone to look at.

/former webOS developer

Last edited by dignitary; 06/27/2012 at 10:46 PM.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2012, 10:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Here's the app page for Simple Chess Clock, by the way (it's online): arkandos.de – Einfache*Schachuhr

I was right: It was made for the Pre and Pixi, and never meant to accommodate the Pre 3 screen resolution. A lot of webOS developers simply checked the "Compatible with Pre 3" box when it became available in the Developer Portal whether it actually used the full screen or not.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2012, 01:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

@dignitary
Thanks for the response: please note that I wrote that both apps are free and available (in the app cataloh and on their aapp pages). The developers websites and support pages no longer exist.

I mentioned a third app that was a paid app, and only appears (with broken image links) in the web feed, but not my app catalog.

So...for the first two, I was talking about tweaks to code using Internalz. From what I've seen, it's not that tall an order, if you know what you're doing. I could be wrong.

I've seen the community do moree in the face of bigger problems. I know the community is much smaller these days, so there's probably hella less chess enthusiasts.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Goyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2012, 07:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Odd...I had installed the 2nd free one I listed above: Game Clock by UnlimitedJuice from the App Catalog. It was version 1.2.0 and didn't go further than the boot screen.

However, once I refreshed Preware feeds, a 1.2.1 version appeared that let me update. This version worked. According to the "last updated" field this was from Sept 4, 2010!

It works now on the Pre 3.

Can anyone tell me why this is? I would've thought that the App Cat would hold the latest version where possible.
Old 10/25/2012, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
Odd...I had installed the 2nd free one I listed above: Game Clock by UnlimitedJuice from the App Catalog. It was version 1.2.0 and didn't go further than the boot screen.

However, once I refreshed Preware feeds, a 1.2.1 version appeared that let me update. This version worked. According to the "last updated" field this was from Sept 4, 2010!

It works now on the Pre 3.

Can anyone tell me why this is? I would've thought that the App Cat would hold the latest version where possible.
HI,
this app is not available in preware.
Can you give me a solution?

Thanks
mitweeeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2012, 08:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hi, do you have App Tuckerbox? I see through Preware that the app isn't available in France.
Old 11/08/2012, 05:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks, it works!
i hadn't tuckerapps installed.
mitweeeeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0