1.    #1  
    I'm looking to come back to the Pre3 after having gone to Android almost a year ago. Allow me to quickly describe my phone usage and plan, because that's going to be key to my questions.

- I almost never talk on the phone. Something like 100-200 minutes a month. I do use the data for email, web browsing.

- I left my Sprint Pre- because it was clear that it would be webOS dead end. There was no need to pay $70 a month when I could get a Motorola Triumph on Virgin Mobile for $25. Since I don't use my phone that much, price of the plan is a key consideration. I wouldn't consider even paying $50/mo just to use a Pre3.

- I'm looking at the T-mobile/Wal-Mart $30 plan which is 100 minutes of talk plus 5GB of data on a pay as you go plan. I realize that is only officially EDGE speed because the Pre3 doesn't have the T-mobile 4G frequency. However, in my area, northern California, there are reports that T-Mobile is refarming 1900mhz spectrum and transitioning over to it everywhere in the next year or two. There's no official word on this from T-mobile though.

- Driving force for the change is that I can give my wife my Virgin Mobile grandfathered plan and phone when her contract exits (she's going pre-paid too) leaving me with the need for a new phone.

Questions:

- Does anyone know of a place where one can look up T-Mobile 1900mhz spectrum? (No I don't have any friends with T-mobile or the right phone to check in my area.) Has anyone else looked into this or is everyone going with AT&T MVNOs?

- What are my navigation options on the Pre3? I used Sprint navigation extensively and I use the built-in Android one as well. It occurred to me that if I'm getting an unlocked Pre3 and put in a Tmobile sim in it (it would be my first non-CDMA phone) I might not necessarily have a turn-by-turn navigation option. I know there's some solutions out there that you download the maps to the device, but I am pretty spoiled by just having it ready to go when I need it, without any prep work.

Are there any other gotchas with going to a Pre3? I hadn't even considered the navigation issue until just recently. It's the kind of thing that I figured would be stock on every phone with every carrier, but in this case, it might not. So I wonder if I missed anything else.
    I switched off Virgin's $25 a month plan about 2 1/2 months ago. It definitely is a great deal and it is smart to pass that along...

Do you or will you tether? If the answer is yes, I doubt you will be so happy with Edge speeds. My GF has a T-Mo plan including hotspot because it was free on sign up. Great around town. But when we go out in the country to visit her folks her service drops to Edge. That is where she wants the tether to work and she is frustrated every time: both with tethering and phone speeds. Nothing she can do but wait for the local towers to upgrade.

Maybe there is a chance your area will get switched to 1900, but no telling when.

I'm on Straight Talk since the switch and am very pleased so far. With Pre 2 I have solid 3g in town and out in the sticks. I just picked up a Veer and have H+ in town. I have not tested speeds out in the country so I don't know yet if it is H+, but it will be at least 3g.

Granted, at $45 a month it is more than you were paying and more talk than you need, but still a good deal. The $45 option is the only one you can use with bring your own phone and comes with unlimited everything including 411.

If you rely on Navigation that much it makes me think:
    A) you need that much data worry free
    B) you don't want constant bumps in data speed levels as you drive due to spotty coverage

I think ST will address both those issues adequately depending on your area. Naturally, you will check their coverage maps before deciding.

So far as preconfigured Navigation goes, I don't think you can get that outside a contract and/or a monthly surcharge. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Lots of people on this board swear by Ndrive (in the beta feed) plus purchased maps. Others love the open source Navit...

Welcome home and good luck. I hope you find the value options that make you happy.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    I just installed Navit and it seems to work, but I haven't tested it extensively.

Run a search in these forums for Ndrive, because they recently announced that they are abandoning webOS support, but I don't remember the details.

I love my Pre3, but there are some bugs here and there. Be aware that you're going into this with no warranty and no support.

Otherwise, welcome back!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  4.    #4  
    It's a good point about the Edge speeds. I currently have Evdo (I think) with Virgin Mobile and that isn't too bad. I would like to tether, but getting tethering to work with the Motorola Triumph that I have now was just so difficult that it wasn't worth it. I tend to not use it that often.

I read about N-Drive and them leaving. That's one of the triggers that made me think about the traffic solutions. I think I have to assume that they won't be around.

It looks like I could try Navit on my TouchPad. I do have an external bluetooth GPS if it works with that in the TouchPad to try.

I'm aware that I'd be getting in without warranty or support. That's essentially what I have with my prepaid Motorola Triumph from Virgin Mobile. Well, I might have some warranty, but after months of using it, there isn't a problem that I care about the warranty... except for breakage, which the warranty wouldn't cover.

I think it comes down to finding out, somehow, if Tmobile has the 1900mhz spectrum in Northern CA like people are reporting. With the high speed data, I can probably deal with the open source navigation solution. If it's a tradeoff of spending another $20 a month for Straight Talk or dealing with Edge speeds in my area, and figuring out navigation, it's not going to work.

It's really a tough call.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland View Post
    ...I would like to tether, but getting tethering to work with the Motorola Triumph that I have now was just so difficult that it wasn't worth it...
    Tethering with a webOS phone could not be easier. Install Preware, then get freeTether. It works for WiFi tethering very well right out of the box. Add Netstat to keep track of how much data you are using.

I read about N-Drive and them leaving. That's one of the triggers that made me think about the traffic solutions. I think I have to assume that they won't be around.
    My understanding is that Ndrive has left the Beta 6 version in the feeds and that it still works well and supports v11 maps. As jlamb0 said, search this forum.

It looks like I could try Navit on my TouchPad. I do have an external bluetooth GPS if it works with that in the TouchPad to try.
    Please post back on how this goes... I think there are many reading these forums who would like to hear more about installing, setting up and using Navit.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Welcome back!
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks RumoredNow,

I was a day one Pre- owner standing in line. I am pretty good with webOS having overclocked that Pre- and putting Android on my TouchPad (just for the MLB.TV app, I stay in webOS the rest of the time).

I enjoyed tethering on my Pre-, but that was with my $70 Sprint plan. I save enough money on my $25 Virgin Mobile Android that I didn't miss tethering that much.

I was about to say that I think I'm going to take the plunge and try it this week, but it looks like T-Mobile is just starting to roll out the 1900mhz (T-Mobile Blog). The good news is that their test area in San Francisco was 20 miles from my house. I think I'll just monitor the situation because it seems like it is coming at some point this year.
  8.    #8  
    Okay, I got my Pre 3, now I'm just waiting for my Straight Talk sim chip. I got sold on the paying $10 a month from the $30 T-Mobile/WalMart plan to have unlimited minutes and not have to tell people to call the landline. I didn't say $15 more a month, because if you pay a year up front you can get it for close to $40.

Are there any tips for a new Pre 3 owner like the new TouchPad guide. I have used a Pre- for a couple of years and a TouchPad, so I'm familiar with Homebrew and Uberkernal and all that. I was just wondering if there are any basic Pre 3 things that I should look to doing.

For example, I noticed that the font is really small in browsing the web and there seems to be a increase minimum font size patch that I'll want to enable.