Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By mrhargett
  • 1 Post By kb7sqi
  • 1 Post By kb7sqi
  1.    #1  
    I've seen this question asked numerous times and I was even one of those struggling with how to do it, so I'm posting a thread which I hope helps others who are trying to figure this out:

INTRO
    I won a Pre3 a few months back in a drawing, and I was super excited, but I couldn't justify the expense of an AT&T phone plan, so when I read about the Straight Talk deal - $45/mo for unlimited talk/text/data - I was excited and cautious. I figured it would be like every other time I've tried to save money and ended up costing myself more time (and usually more money) than I would have otherwise.

To be clear, I've used Straight Talk for a few weeks and haven't had any *major* issues, but I wouldn't call the signal I get the strongest, and I've had complaints from people saying that my calls were breaking up. But I had many of the same issues with my ancient BlackBerry 8830 on Verizon. I have not tried using Straight Talk in rural areas (that's my next test), but throughout the large midwestern city in which I live and in the outlying suburbs it seems to work just fine.

THE STEPS
    The purchase was kind of a pain in the neck: you have to order your SIM online as they don't sell them in stores and you need to buy an airtime card to activate, but they occasionally offer shipping deals where they'll offer free overnight (they didn't, in my case, so it cost all of $80 for the SIM, the first month's airtime card and the shipping + tax). To make matters worse, I decided to do my activation over the phone rather than using the internet - I sat in queue for 30 minutes before speaking to a representative, the connection wasn't very strong (it may have been my old phone) so I had to repeat myself several times and I was placed on hold for lengthy stretches - oh, and the hold music is really bad. Still, for the price, I can't complain much.

After activation, the telephone line was ready to go, but the data won't work until you modify your APN settings. Here's what I had to do:

1. Click the "phone" icon as if you were making a call. When you click the menu in the top-left, you'll see the following:

2. Click "Preferences and Accounts" and the next screen will appear:

3. You'll have to scroll down until you get to this section:

4. Make sure your data settings match what is shown in step 3's screenshot and then click "Edit Network Settings" to open the screen shown here:

5. Punch in the settings shown in step 4's screenshot and click "change settings," then click "MMS APN" to open the MMS settings:

6. Modify these settings to match what is shown in step 5's screenshot and scroll down to click "Change Settings."

The phone may require a reboot after this, but otherwise, it should work just fine. I've been able to do everything from checking my bank balance at the grocery store to letting my kids watch old episodes of Reading Rainbow on YouTube while I drive to visit family.

Good luck!
    Have you tried MMS? (A text with a picture attachment)

I ask because all my research indicates Max size should = 600... Not 800 like you have it set.

This has been working for me on Pre 2 and now Veer:

Also, if you are feeling daring I have this add on to the carrierdb.json file... StraightTalk carrierdb.json entry.docx

I've been using it tacked onto the carrierdb.json file on my Pre 2 with no problems for over a month now. See this thread: Pre 2 / Straight Talk / Data Speed / carrierdb.json I haven't added it to Veer as I have had that phone less than 24 hours.

The how to on editing carrierdb.json with WOSQI is here: HOWTO: Edit your carrierdb.json file
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Have you tried MMS? (A text with a picture attachment)

I ask because all my research indicates Max size should = 600... Not 800 like you have it set.

This has been working for me on Pre 2 and now Veer:

Click to view quoted image

Also, if you are feeling daring I have this add on to the carrierdb.json file... StraightTalk carrierdb.json entry.docx

I've been using it tacked onto the carrierdb.json file on my Pre 2 with no problems for over a month now. See this thread: Pre 2 / Straight Talk / Data Speed / carrierdb.json I haven't added it to Veer as I have had that phone less than 24 hours.

The how to on editing carrierdb.json with WOSQI is here: HOWTO: Edit your carrierdb.json file
    From what I can tell the MMS works fine for me with 800, but I'm not a big MMS user, anyway. As for the rest, what's the benefit of updating the carrierdb.json file?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhargett View Post
    From what I can tell the MMS works fine for me with 800, but I'm not a big MMS user, anyway. As for the rest, what's the benefit of updating the carrierdb.json file?
    I can't say conclusively it helped anything... I did it in hopes that it would help ST recognize/handle my phone. It didn't break anything.

The file does say MMS Max Size = 600.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhargett View Post
    I've seen this question asked numerous times and I was even one of those struggling with how to do it, so I'm posting a thread which I hope helps others who are trying to figure this out:

INTRO
    I won a Pre3 a few months back in a drawing, and I was super excited, but I couldn't justify the expense of an AT&T phone plan, so when I read about the Straight Talk deal - $45/mo for unlimited talk/text/data - I was excited and cautious. I figured it would be like every other time I've tried to save money and ended up costing myself more time (and usually more money) than I would have otherwise.

To be clear, I've used Straight Talk for a few weeks and haven't had any *major* issues, but I wouldn't call the signal I get the strongest, and I've had complaints from people saying that my calls were breaking up. But I had many of the same issues with my ancient BlackBerry 8830 on Verizon. I have not tried using Straight Talk in rural areas (that's my next test), but throughout the large midwestern city in which I live and in the outlying suburbs it seems to work just fine.

THE STEPS
    The purchase was kind of a pain in the neck: you have to order your SIM online as they don't sell them in stores and you need to buy an airtime card to activate, but they occasionally offer shipping deals where they'll offer free overnight (they didn't, in my case, so it cost all of $80 for the SIM, the first month's airtime card and the shipping + tax). To make matters worse, I decided to do my activation over the phone rather than using the internet - I sat in queue for 30 minutes before speaking to a representative, the connection wasn't very strong (it may have been my old phone) so I had to repeat myself several times and I was placed on hold for lengthy stretches - oh, and the hold music is really bad. Still, for the price, I can't complain much.

After activation, the telephone line was ready to go, but the data won't work until you modify your APN settings. Here's what I had to do:

1. Click the "phone" icon as if you were making a call. When you click the menu in the top-left, you'll see the following:

2. Click "Preferences and Accounts" and the next screen will appear:

3. You'll have to scroll down until you get to this section:

4. Make sure your data settings match what is shown in step 3's screenshot and then click "Edit Network Settings" to open the screen shown here:

5. Punch in the settings shown in step 4's screenshot and click "change settings," then click "MMS APN" to open the MMS settings:

6. Modify these settings to match what is shown in step 5's screenshot and scroll down to click "Change Settings."

The phone may require a reboot after this, but otherwise, it should work just fine. I've been able to do everything from checking my bank balance at the grocery store to letting my kids watch old episodes of Reading Rainbow on YouTube while I drive to visit family.

Good luck!
    Great post. Love the speeds I get on straight talk pre 3
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I figured I'd post this here. If you've noticed you don't have working data any longer, here's the fix. I noticed it today & saw several posts on the net.

Change your mms proxy to mms2.tracphone.com. Reboot your phone. It worked for me.

Hope that helps.

Steve
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    I had to follow these settings, except set MMS Size to 600. http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.p...ht_Talk_iPhone

Just changing the mms proxy blew up my entire APN settings. YMMV.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I had to follow these settings, except set MMS Size to 600. http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.p...ht_Talk_iPhone

Just changing the mms proxy blew up my entire APN settings. YMMV.
    I saw this thread on Howard Forums. New updated APN information for BYOD AT&T Users given by CS Rep

It was the only change I made to both my Veer/Atrix 2. Once I made the change & rebooted, I had data working again. Thankfully, I only use the StraightTalk sim for testing stuff, after seeing all the posts on the Howard Forums. Take care.

Steve
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kb7sqi View Post
    I saw this thread on Howard Forums. New updated APN information for BYOD AT&T Users given by CS Rep

It was the only change I made to both my Veer/Atrix 2. Once I made the change & rebooted, I had data working again. Thankfully, I only use the StraightTalk sim for testing stuff, after seeing all the posts on the Howard Forums. Take care.

Steve
    I'm going to give this info a try (including power down, SIM removal, SIM insert, power up) and if it clears up my problems I'll spread the word.

Thank you.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Hello. I am trying to setup my Veer on StraightTalk. I have used the settings as described above with the :80 as part of the proxy and 600 as max size. When I tried to save the settings the phone said invalid but I saved anyway. I rebooted and don't get any data symbol on my phone. I think I am missing something. In the Straight Talk instructions there is a proxy field proxy.mvno.tracfone.com . I don't see where to enter that in the veer. Any help greatly appreciated! StraighTalk user support is not so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB Jon View Post
    Hello. I am trying to setup my Veer on StraightTalk. I have used the settings as described above with the :80 as part of the proxy and 600 as max size. When I tried to save the settings the phone said invalid but I saved anyway. I rebooted and don't get any data symbol on my phone. I think I am missing something. In the Straight Talk instructions there is a proxy field proxy.mvno.tracfone.com . I don't see where to enter that in the veer. Any help greatly appreciated! StraighTalk user support is not so good.
    For internet no Proxy needed... Only for MMS.

Veer is known to need a few tries to take hold. Double check that your settings are still in there... Save again... No reboot needed either. I believe I put in the info 3 times with my Veer before it "stuck."

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I also spoke with StraightTalk and they said they were going to push out new settings. I guess they can do that now. Somewhere between me resaving as per instructions above maybe Straight Talk doing something, the phone works great now. The settings in the phone are what people recommended with a max size of 600.

I was running a t-mobile SIM in the Veer on the Edge network. I'm now on Smart Talk/ATT HSPA+ network. Went from 175kbps to 1.1 mbps. And saving money. Sweet!
    Quote Originally Posted by SB Jon View Post
    I also spoke with StraightTalk and they said they were going to push out new settings. I guess they can do that now. Somewhere between me resaving as per instructions above maybe Straight Talk doing something, the phone works great now. The settings in the phone are what people recommended with a max size of 600.

I was running a t-mobile SIM in the Veer on the Edge network. I'm now on Smart Talk/ATT HSPA+ network. Went from 175kbps to 1.1 mbps. And saving money. Sweet!
    Glad you got it up and running. I don't know why Veer needs to be coaxed into taking the settings. As for ST pushing out new settings I have heard they are updating things. If new settings are needed that would be big news. There was an alt named MMS proxy going around but it seems to translate to the same number string IP as the old name...

Mobile Nations Devotee