Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    note: i put this under Pre3 because i thought that was the rarest phone.

    OK, so i just realized i'm probably one of the few crazy people who currently have a Pre1, Pre2, and Pre3. And no, I'm not affiliated, or really know anything about, cell phones or their associated companies. I just always thought the WebOS was great, and I like how the smaller round phone fit in my pocket.

    So, I've had my Pre1 overclocked to 1Ghz with the kernel that's available. That really woke the phone up! Everything seemed "snappier", although my reception was still bitey, and i felt i had to do an 'airplane mode' a little too often. and i wanted newer hardware.

    so i bought a Pre3 at a decent price. i took the plunge, and after much research went with Straighttalk. Two mos using it, I do have H+ all over the metro area but streaming Pandora pauses occasionally. It is larger though.

    So i bought a Pre2, supposedly already "franken pre'd" to Sprint. DON'T EVER BELIEVE THAT UNLESS YOU KNOW THE BOARD IS STILL ACTIVE. otherwise, you have to remove the board and activate it in a Pre 1. i spent 5 days trying. if you know a way, please PM me just to let me know what i missed.

    But I've used the Pre2 for phone calls and wifi, just not data, and i guess it was ok, but not impressive other than being a nice merge of small size and newer hardware. no 4G (faux G), but to get that 4G i'm dealing with ATT mvno data limits, whatever they may be, to have a price point better than sprint. $45 on ST vs. $60 my 1/3 of the SprFamily plan.

    SO: ONE PHONE:

    1. Pre1, overclocked to 1Ghz, leaving at 1.4.5
    2. Pre1, bumped to 2. something.
    3. Pre2, vzn model with Sprint commboard at 2.something
    4. Pre3, on ST, which i haven't yet ported my # to, because i'm afraid of losing it for too much Pandora streaming. which interrupts. but has much better camera. the higher res isn't a bonus, it actually makes things harder to read, requiring more zoom/scroll action. maybe a better mvno?

    or something i haven't thought of.

    which version? 1.4.5 vs. 2.0.1 vs. 2.1.0; or 2.2.3 vs. 2.2.4 (which i have now on Pre3)
    which can handle some more speed with overclocking?
    which will allow me google maps and navigation, even if they're 3rd party, just GOOD apps?


    PLEASE, NO SPECULATORS. i can guess all by myself. If you've used them all, I'd appreciate some honest feedback, because i can only afford one active phone and i have to choose. Pre1 on Sprint, VzPre2 with Sprintboard on Sprint, or Pre3 on STalk or other mvno.

    functionality, not COOL is key. i want uninterrupted Pandora, navi/google maps, and fast web searching with no lag. don't care about tv or lots of apps.

    thank you in advance for your experienced opinion and observations!
    Tj
    Last edited by TJs4thPre; 06/18/2012 at 05:37 AM. Reason: added note why it's in this forum section
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs4thPre View Post
    i want uninterrupted Pandora, navi/google maps, and fast web searching with no lag. don't care about tv or lots of apps.
    Tj
    Sounds like an easy decision to me. Whoever has the faster data speeds. You probably know about the new Google Maps homebrew app, which is great and gets improved constantly. I think it only works on 2.x but i don't know for sure. Can't say anything about navi since I don't drive.
  3. #3  
    I know right...what a decision. But based on what you want to do and all the options you listed, your best bet is a FrankenPre2 on Sprint. This was you can have your webOS 2.2.4 (latest phone version) fix along with the faster more solid hardware. You will be able to stream Pandora just fine (I do it all the time), and also you can get Sprint Navigation to work also.

    Though the Pre3 is just kicks with its retina-like display, to get the best bang for your buck and everything you could need, the FrankenPre2 on Sprint is the only way to go.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/20/2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: circumventing language filters


    Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
  4. #4  
    If you are planning on streaming over network, Pandora, Sprint all the way for the data.

    If you are planning on streaming over WiFi, still Pre2 as the WiFi on the Pre3 is maddening.

    Your other option would be Pre3, but pricey data. The one thing I didn't see in your OP is what your current data usage is, this would be key to the thought of leaving Sprint. We left sprint when I realized even when I was abusing data I wasn't using that much.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  5.    #5  
    so far it appears the VZPre2 on Sprint is the preferred choice, and was the sneaking suspicion in my mind.

    I've been using the Pre3,and I dig it, but the Faux G soaks battery dry, and the StraightTalk serviced is a little glitchy.

    I was worried that the Pre 2 would also be glitchy. But I don't need Faux G as much as I need the Ram increase over the Pre1, and I can overclock either of them to whatever, i think.

    so far, Pre2 franken'd to Sprint correctly has the most support.

    by the way, on sprint i'm using about 1G data a month. I've never gone over 2G which is why i went with ST instead of another. But i do stream pandora a lot and i'd like uninterrupted svc.

    my Pre2 is idle right now; my Pre1 is on Sprint completely restored, i could Preware overclock it anytime. But i'm carrrying the Pre3 on ST for now since that's the new # i've given out. we'll see.

    MORE FEEDBACK FROM EXPERIENCED USERS WELCOME. is the Pre2 glitchy at all once you get it on Sprint?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs4thPre View Post
    so far it appears the VZPre2 on Sprint is the preferred choice, and was the sneaking suspicion in my mind.

    I've been using the Pre3,and I dig it, but the Faux G soaks battery dry, and the StraightTalk serviced is a little glitchy.

    I was worried that the Pre 2 would also be glitchy. But I don't need Faux G as much as I need the Ram increase over the Pre1, and I can overclock either of them to whatever, i think.

    so far, Pre2 franken'd to Sprint correctly has the most support.

    by the way, on sprint i'm using about 1G data a month. I've never gone over 2G which is why i went with ST instead of another. But i do stream pandora a lot and i'd like uninterrupted svc.

    my Pre2 is idle right now; my Pre1 is on Sprint completely restored, i could Preware overclock it anytime. But i'm carrrying the Pre3 on ST for now since that's the new # i've given out. we'll see.

    MORE FEEDBACK FROM EXPERIENCED USERS WELCOME. is the Pre2 glitchy at all once you get it on Sprint?
    Not sure why you are having such a problem with ST, if you never go over 2 gigs data, ST or ATT w Pre3 or GSM Pre2 would be my suggestion. I get much better service from ATT then I had gotten with Sprint, I don't get dinged $10 a line for having a smartphone, and I can switch phones whenever I want.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  7. #7  
    I have had a Pre Plus, Pre 2, and Pre 3 on AT&T and I prefer the 2. I like the extra size of the 3 but hate the curved screen. I leave my 2 face down all the time since it has the bumper edging around the screen and 18 months later, the screen is still in great shape. The 3 has the same curved screen as the Veer and I am afraid of damaging the center of the screen. I suppose I could get a screen protector for a never released phone...

    I would say get the Franken Pre 2 working and enjoy it.
  8. #8  
    HAHA I still need to get screen protectors for Pre3 and the TouchPads... especially since I carry my Pre3 daily.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  9. #9  
    I own and have used all three, so I'll give you my opinion on it. As for the pre-, just forget about it. I love it for the getting me into webOS but the hardware has become extremely outdated at this time. Now between the pre2 and the pre3, it is rather tough considering your situation. The biggest plus with the pre3 for me is the keyboard and the screen (in comparison to the pre2 of course). For me I would not switch back to my pre2 since I would still carry the same phone/data plan, but considering your case sticking with the pre2 would be a good idea. The hardware on it is still very solid, and overclocking it will make it just that much better. Anyways, I find the pre2 works better with the touchstone so you can have that as a plus :P
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    I own and have used all three, so I'll give you my opinion on it. As for the pre-, just forget about it. I love it for the getting me into webOS but the hardware has become extremely outdated at this time. Now between the pre2 and the pre3, it is rather tough considering your situation. The biggest plus with the pre3 for me is the keyboard and the screen (in comparison to the pre2 of course). For me I would not switch back to my pre2 since I would still carry the same phone/data plan, but considering your case sticking with the pre2 would be a good idea. The hardware on it is still very solid, and overclocking it will make it just that much better. Anyways, I find the pre2 works better with the touchstone so you can have that as a plus :P
    you are all beginning to point out the + and - of the 2 vs. the 3.

    For me, the two biggest sacrifices of sticking with the 2 are the awesomely improved camera focus ability (you can drag to aim where it focuses) and the bigger keyboard. i really need that bigger keyboard for my fat fingers. dang.

    but the Pre2 will work better with the 5 touchstones i have, all the extra batteries from the Pre1, and it will fit in my pocket as well as the original, but with gorilla glass, so i'm not bothering with a screen cover. i've had a screen cover on my 1 until last week, and it looks brand new, but it was plastic. i'm going to trust the glass is durable enough for me.

    so it's just a matter of time before i put my active board in the pre2 and see what happens. i'm still unclear what process to run after the hardware swap, but i'll re-read some stuff to figure out which is best Dr. for a: VZN PRE2 WITH ACTIVE SPRINT COMM BOARD FROM PRE1, TO CONTINUE RUNNING ON SPRINT. last thing i want to do is put that board in and doctor it wrong and the thing tries calling verizon to activate, which is what it wants to do now even though it says Sprint and *2 calls Sprint CS.

    i'll keep yas posted when i eventually SUCCEED at bringing my Frankenpre to life! thank you VERY much for the support, fellow webOS fans!

    Tj
  11.    #11  
    wow.

    i have swapped comm boards 2x now. i've learned the hardest part is the keyboard slide tabs on the sides. you really can flex them into position, one side at a time even.

    i found out the scary way that it's easier to "stand up" the comm board to reconnect the pins if the antenna wires are disconnected. the metal cover hinged open,and the antennas press on like a snapfit coax cable. much easier to work with the case when those wires aren't the umbilical cord.

    but i really am having difficulty with the part after running the dr. it activates and synchs up with backups, then functionality goes in the toilet. i have to get one running better than either are now.
    advice welcome. anyone in atlanta?
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs4thPre View Post
    wow.

    i have swapped comm boards 2x now. i've learned the hardest part is the keyboard slide tabs on the sides. you really can flex them into position, one side at a time even.

    i found out the scary way that it's easier to "stand up" the comm board to reconnect the pins if the antenna wires are disconnected. the metal cover hinged open,and the antennas press on like a snapfit coax cable. much easier to work with the case when those wires aren't the umbilical cord.

    but i really am having difficulty with the part after running the dr. it activates and synchs up with backups, then functionality goes in the toilet. i have to get one running better than either are now.
    advice welcome. anyone in atlanta?
    worked thru the night last night and the night before.

    end result: I DID IT. the ATT Pre3 is running perfectly on Straight Talk; the VZN Pre2 with my Sprint Pre1 comm board is running perfectly on Sprint. And the Pre 1 is in airplane mode where it will replace my Z22 as my bedside alarm. And it has all my contacts from before I pulled the board. I didn't let the profile data get wiped.

    SO, YES IT'S POSSIBLE. TWO WEEKENDS OF WORKING STRAIGHT THRU THE NIGHTS, but i did it.

    i will post what my hurdles were and how i got thru them. there's a lot of info missing and obsolete, and you have to scramble around for it like building a jigsaw puzzle after dropping the box on the ground.

    but i did it. AND THEY'RE BOTH RUNNING WEBOS 2.2.4.

    thanx for the support everyone. i'll write up what i did (no pics, they got doctored to oblivion) and i'll write soon on my experience between the two:

    VZN Pre2 on Sprint 3G, overclocked with uberkernel to 1200, vs. ATT Pre3 on ST HSPA+ (fauxG).

    which will have less interruptions in streaming pandora? which will suck up the battery faster?

    i'll write it up when i have some free time. after a long nap. laundry will wait.
  13. #13  
    Check out Apollo (Pandora Radio for Pre 3): http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...tionid=1000876
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    Check out Apollo (Pandora Radio for Pre 3): http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...tionid=1000876
    ahh, good tip.

    i think i have the standard Pandora app on all 3 Pre's, and i still have (don't jinx myself here) no commercials and i don't think a limit on skips. definitely no commercials.

    same on this other app?
  15. Rugdr's Avatar
    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #15  
    so how are things? what did you decide to use everyday?

    I had a launch day pre from sprint it was great was a little upset when the plus came out but waited for the 2 which never came so when the 2 came out i got a vz plus for cheap and franken pre'ed it to sprint with no problem. then the keyboard started missing and double typing so i got a vz 2 and franken pre2'ed that with no issue and it worked great loved it a lot only problem was sprint service went in the ****ter, not because of the phone just in general. got a good price on a pre3 so i got it and tried it on h20 wireless and had the sprint line still just to see which I wanted. h20 was crap too im sure straight talk is the same. you get h+ but its throttled horribly it would be quick initially then slow to a crawl. So I finally took it in to AT&T and setup an account with no contract and that was the best thing I could have done. Got the far better hardware of the pre3 vs the pre2 and much much better service with AT&T even though Im capped at 2gb i never hit that. still have pandora with no comercials but it was stopping in the middle of songs for a while. i deleted and reinstalled and it fixed that. apollo is cool though. had sprint for 10 years and loved it never an issue untill the evo came out and around that time the 3g was non existent. i would do speed tests before and would get decent 300-500k most of the time. then it dropped to 10-50k if i was lucky nowhere near 3g speeds. I liked sprint so much i talked a few of my friends into getting it and now they hate me, stuck with an evo and iphone with"unlimited" 30k speeds. with AT&T i have h+ everywhere and get speeds from 1.5m - 7m never less and never throttled.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs4thPre View Post
    ahh, good tip.

    i think i have the standard Pandora app on all 3 Pre's, and i still have (don't jinx myself here) no commercials and i don't think a limit on skips. definitely no commercials.

    same on this other app?
    I suggested this app to you about a few weeks ago. "For your Pandora needs, try installing this: http://db.tt/qqUavZBG" I even suggested instructions for a skip free patch. Are you still having Pandora problems?

Posting Permissions