• 1 Post By rmausser
  • 7 Post By rmausser
  • 1 Post By cwgtex
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

In the Meta-Doctor I noticed a script called:

meta-att-pre3-vanilla-2.2.3

For the Pre 3.

What is it? What does the "Vanilla" signify, and why is there no 2.2.4?

Thanks!
    Balooz likes this.
    It removes all the ATT bloatware from the Pre3, including ATT specific apps, ATT contacts and ATT bookmarks while keeping all the phone and data radio compatibility. I used it before 2.2.4 and it runs very smooth. In fact, one of my symptoms for a redoctor is when my battery starts to have insane battery drain (about every 3-5 weeks) and it looks like I'm due. Even after deleting cookies, clearing cache and history, my battery starts to get stepped on from some kind of buildup. I full secure wipe (backing up everything of course) then run a doctor about every 4-6 weeks and restore. Since the 2.2.4 upgrade really doesn't have any significant upgrades for the Pre 3 I'm going to run this again tonight and let it ride for a few weeks to see if there is any significant benefit to removing the ATT bloatware. Of course removing the bloatware from 2.2.4 can be done manually, but Rod's script makes it real easy running 2.2.3. It doesn't look like he has any plans to make one of these for 2.2.4, so I'll try posting back here in a few weeks to give feedback if this "seems" faster, since I don't really have any reliable way to tell outside of feel and battery life.
    skype seems to run faster/smoother on 2.2.4
    I just attempted to run the script again and got this:
    mkdir -p downloads
    Please download the correct version of the webOS Doctor .jar file
    and then rename and move it to downloads/webosdoctorp224manta-wr-2.2.0.jar (i.e. the downloads directory that was just created under the current directory).
    make: *** [downloads/webosdoctorp224manta-wr-2.2.0.jar] Error 1
    I pm'd Rod to see if he could possibly provide some insight and also asked about a 2.2.4 version. I think I still have the copy that worked before; I'm wiping right now and redoctoring shortly. Since I rarely use skype (pretty choppy even in 2.2.4) I decided to give this another try.
  5.    #5  
    I actually am in the works of creating a "Clean Up" Homebrew app for webOS.

Basically it will delete all your cookies, cache, messages etc at timed intervals.

You will be able to select what items you want to auto clear.
  6.    #6  
    wow, didnt expect such a response for this.

Aight, let me get some other projects out of the way, then I will get started on this homebrew app.

Im HOPING that all of the browser, email, phone, messaging, etc apps have open source documentation, and I can just find the code that is responsible for clearing the cache OR I can just find where that information is held on the device and wipe it off the drive.

If anyone knows either of these tidbits of info PM me. Thanks

Also I will put an option to delete the libnotify and browsercache files.

Heres hoping its easy cuz I dont have much time lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    wow, didnt expect such a response for this.

Aight, let me get some other projects out of the way, then I will get started on this homebrew app.

Im HOPING that all of the browser, email, phone, messaging, etc apps have open source documentation, and I can just find the code that is responsible for clearing the cache OR I can just find where that information is held on the device and wipe it off the drive.

If anyone knows either of these tidbits of info PM me. Thanks

Also I will put an option to delete the libnotify and browsercache files.

Heres hoping its easy cuz I dont have much time lately.
    This is something that is strongly needed. I manually delete all my cache, cookies and history DAILY and would love it if you could figure this out. Maybe with an app I won't have to redoctor once a month. Immediately following a dr, my device stays cool, battery lasts all day, everything is snappy. After 4-6 weeks, device heats up randomly, battery drain is extremely high (up to 60-70% in 12hrs standard use) and starts slowing down. This is ATT Pre3, 2.2.4 on ATT network.
    Stay thirsty, my friends
    BTW, the bloatware I manually removed via Internalz can be found in /usr/palm/applications/ I deleted anything that said ATT. I also found an NFL app, Nascar, SprintTV and Amazon Store in there that might have been restored by save/restore, but no app icons ever appeared and forgot to check right after I doctored before I restored; they might have been there the whole time. Anyway, removed those too. I'm pretty sure that's what the Vanilla Dr is supposed to do automagically.
    Stay thirsty, my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    BTW, the bloatware I manually removed via Internalz can be found in /usr/palm/applications/ I deleted anything that said ATT. I also found an NFL app, Nascar, SprintTV and Amazon Store in there that might have been restored by save/restore, but no app icons ever appeared and forgot to check right after I doctored before I restored; they might have been there the whole time. Anyway, removed those too. I'm pretty sure that's what the Vanilla Dr is supposed to do automagically.

You SERIOUSLY need to install a terminal on your pre3 and run top to see what is using all the extra cpu cycles. There is something amiss.
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    You SERIOUSLY need to install a terminal on your pre3 and run top to see what is using all the extra cpu cycles. There is something amiss.
    I ran "top" and have a giant grid of stuff. Any clues as to what I should be looking out for?
    Stay thirsty, my friends
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    To erase packages, do not just delete folders you find with Internalz. WebOS uses the ipkg package management tool. In any Linux system that uses a package manager, bad things can happen if you skip using it. Here is a better way to delete packages on webOS.

First, you need the exact package name. Lets look for the AT&T Navigation app. This first command lists all installed apps, and then filters the results to only lines containing the word "navigation".

Code:
    root@Pre3:/# ipkg list_installed | grep navigation
    com.telenav.attnavigation - 1.0.2-38 - Telenav App and Service
    The first field is the name we need. Now we delete it with this command.

Code:
    root@Pre3:/# ipkg remove com.telenav.attnavigation
    Removing package com.telenav.attnavigation from root...
    Here is another example with the yellowpages app.

Code:
    root@Pre3:/# ipkg list_installed | grep yellow
    com.yellowpages.ypmobile.preload - 1.0-15 - YPmobile App
    root@Pre3:/# ipkg remove com.yellowpages.ypmobile.preload
    Removing package com.yellowpages.ypmobile.preload from root...
    Jonnie likes this.