1.    #1  
    Like many folks, I have been having some of my Google calendars periodically and unpredictably "disconnect" from my Pre 3 calendar app, resulting in their events becoming "Undefined." I think that the reason might be that I have terrible reception (even no reception at times, in certain places) while I am at work. My current theory is that the phone tries to autosync, but cannot find a connection, and so the calendar ends up getting disconnected.

I don't know if there is a way to do this, but does anyone know how to disable the autosync feature, such that I could then manually prompt my phone to sync?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated...

Thanks!
  2.    #2  
    Bump.

I was really hoping that someone might know something about this, or could offer some ideas...nothing?

Thanks in advance...
    Why disable the auto sync. Just manually sync it whenever you wish.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the reply...

I do use the manual sync option quite a bit...but I believe that the disconnected/Undefined Google calendar problem stems from the phone trying to sync when it doesn't have a signal (which is much of the time and in most places when I am at work). So, my hope was to disable autosync and only manually sync the calendar when I have a good signal.

Right now the "poor signal leads to Undefined calendars" idea is only a theory, and I am trying to find a way to confirm it--and hopefully eradicate this issue for me and all the other folks who have had their on-phone calendars "broken."

So again I ask...does anyone have any ideas about how to accomplish this?

Thanks again...
  5.    #5  
    Bump again...

Anybody? Does anyone know if it is possible to disable calendar sync, and only sync manually?

Thanks...
    I don't know about auto-sync, but I've seen a "Sync Now" option in the menu...

IIRC, at least in the original Pre, the calendar synced every 15 minutes. I think that might be controllable through a patch, but where that number could be, I have no idea.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    I only know about google sync. It currently tries to sync every 20 minutes. I'm not sure how you would go about stopping it. I've never tried though.

You might try using AgendaZ, it has a method to delete orphaned events -- I hope this will take care of undefined events. You might have to contact MetaView to see how it works, I've not used it. I don't know why you would keep getting those undefined events. Do you sync 1.4.5 devices as well as 2.x or TP? Maybe it is an interaction between 1.4.5 and the updated calendar.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    I don't know about auto-sync, but I've seen a "Sync Now" option in the menu...

IIRC, at least in the original Pre, the calendar synced every 15 minutes. I think that might be controllable through a patch, but where that number could be, I have no idea.
    Thanks for your reply...I use the "Sync Now" menu option frequently, to be sure that my new events are sync'ed back and forth. I worry about losing them (or, more likely, the events losing their calendar association).

I've not seen a patch to control sync'ing...do you know of one?

Thanks again...

treodoc755
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    I only know about google sync. It currently tries to sync every 20 minutes. I'm not sure how you would go about stopping it. I've never tried though.

You might try using AgendaZ, it has a method to delete orphaned events -- I hope this will take care of undefined events. You might have to contact MetaView to see how it works, I've not used it. I don't know why you would keep getting those undefined events. Do you sync 1.4.5 devices as well as 2.x or TP? Maybe it is an interaction between 1.4.5 and the updated calendar.
    Thanks for your reply...I just saw the Tip about using AgendaZ to delete undefined events; I was intrigued by that--it seemed a whole lot easier than doctoring, which is what I've been doing to fix the problem.

I am using a Pre 3 (2.2.4) and Touchpad (3.0.5) only--although I had this problem with my Pre 2 (2.1), but not with my Pre+ (1.4.5).

Thanks also for telling me the frequency for Google sync; it's nice to know. I haven't been able to come up with any resources for controlling that. Even if you don't know of any way to control or limit that per se, you certainly have a boatload more experience working with the calendar than I have (plus, I really love all the functionality that you and MetaView have added to the rather anemic stock calendar).

Can you think of anything I might try, any paths I can explore, that might help me figure this out? I haven't coded in years (used to program on PCs, back in the days before Windows, when all screens were black and green), but I'm hopeful that I could figure out something if I knew where to look...

Thanks again...

treodoc755
    I looked over some of the sync files. I'm not sure it can be stopped. There are 2 types of sync besides the manual: periodic and database change. All the calendar sync activities are hard coded as both of these.

You could manually stop database change syncs by not making any changes to the calendar, but that's not very practical.

The sync interval can only be set up to a maximum of 24 hours. If you try anything longer, it considers it an error and will default to 24 hours.

However, sync does require an Internet connection and tests for it. If your phone does not receive data service or wifi, it won't sync. It must be something else causing your problems.

You don't have your google account configured both as exchange and regular google do you? That can get the system confused.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Since I am developing a synergy connector right now (that is what the google stuff basically is), I have played around a lot with calendar, events and accounts... and from what I found, it is quite to "orphan" an event due to bad reception or communication loss during a sync. It does not make so much sense...

I can try to explain how the stuff works... basically the calendar app get's all database entries that are in some database which inherits the "calendarevent" database thing. That is some db8 magic... so all the events you see are in that database.
    Now there is a second database that stores "calendars". Those entries all have an id and each calendarevent stores the id of the calendar to which it belongs. That is the way the calendar app figures out which event belongs to which calendar... that is something that happens on the device itself. So it is very unlikely that a bad reception can break that....

I for myself have managed to get orphaned events, if I fiddle around with accounts and enabling/disabling calendars. Then I have calendarevents with an id that refers to a calendar that does not exist anymore. Usually disabling the calendar "should" delete all the events associated with it... but that does not seem to be true always. You could have a look with impostah in which database the orphaned events are and what the calendar-id is set to (or even the account id, which refers to the account, i.e. google account)

Anyway I'm quite sure the issue with orphaned events comes from somewhere in webOS itself and is not so much a sync issue...

The sync processes are started using the activity manager. You can also see the activities in impostah and it also tells you, when they were run the last time. There might also be a way to disable the activities using luna-send on the command line (although I found the activity manager to be very rude and unhelpful. He either not accepts my inquiries or does not find anything... ).