Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
Like Tree16Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hey everyone..I decided to put down my iphone 4 and give the Pre 3 a go so I purchased a VZ pre 3 on ebay...here it goes

    Hardware:

    Top notch. The phone feels solid, heavy (in a good way), and nothing creaks ( no oreo effect). I had some android and ios people hold it and they were all impressed. Feels solid in the hand and the rubberized back feels like butter. One thing that i noticed that im not thrilled about. Instead of the orea effect I have what i call a sea-saw effect. When the phone is closed...the edges of the screen push in when you use it. Its slight but noticeable. Mostly annoying in landscape. That being said I learned to hold the phone tighter with my holding hand and you dont notice it anymore. Small gripe in an otherwise perfect build.

    Screen:

    Sharp bright nice. Its all you need but nothing more. Its not going to be up to IOS or Android quality but if your a webos fan, you didnt expect that anyway. For what it is its crisp and colorful.

    Keyboard:

    Ive heard everything from it being the best keyboard on a phone, to being small and cramped. In my opinion its a good keyboard for most and a great one for webos fans. Its not as good as the BB 9300 or maybe some other blackberries but that being said, its spacious and responsive and if your a webos fan you will be more than thrilled.

    Software:

    Its webos...which is a double edged sword. Its the best OS on the planet by far, but i think subconsciously i expected it to be a little more polished to match the hardware. I KNOW it wouldn't be buying this phone, but my eyes said "wow this looks dated on this new hardware and thats sad"....if you can understand that you will get very little extra from webos when buying this phone...then go for it....but dont expect to find new options in the menus or features in the stock apps. If it wasn't there on your Pre2 its not there now.

    Performance:

    Im not ging to lie, things worked smoother on my Pre 2. I assume its because the screen was much smaller requiring less processing power and the software was better optimized. THe pre 3 takes single tasks like a champ but as you start adding cards there are rough edges. Add flash in the web browser and you'll get too many card errors in no time. Overall its fine...most users will have no issues with the speed. Power users might want to take note.

    Camera:

    Good for a pre owner. Autofocus (no zoom) Still takes very fast pics...great pics in high lighting...bad fuzzy wasted out pics in low lighting. Another huge upgrade for pre owners but not great if your coming from IOS or android.

    Apps:

    as expected many dont work on pre 3 or dont work well. I managed to get everything i need, but some apps id like to add just wont work. Theres surprisingly a lot of apps fixed for pre3 use, if a lot of apps means like 100. To a webos fan, that should be a big number! Apps not optimized can still work fine, some however wont even launch. Few new apps are coming out of webos land these days, so if apps are a concern id do a little research before buying the phone.


    Notes:

    I like that it supports wireless N 5.0gz

    Theres some rough edges with the software. SOmetimes cards launch with the last image on screen showing for a split second. Small things like that that didn't happen on my Pre 2. Not a deal breaker but its noticeable.

    I noticed my pre 3 doesn't switch in and out of 3g well. Takes a bit to recoup from switch. Dont think its a big deal or might all be in my head. But being a train traveler it could be annoying.

    Overall if your a webos fan looking to finally get solid hardware on a reasonably modern phone. Look no further.This is a great choice and if you wanna take a chance i would say its worth it. You will feel happy having this in your pocket. If you are considering another OS vs this, then you might want to do some soul searching. Staying webos these days will be tough. These annoyances wont be fixed, and if the apps not there now it most likely wont ever be there. So make sure you REALLY love webos before making the leap.

    And if you do, thats great, because I do too!
  2. #2  
    Good review. Thanks. I've debated on picking up a Pre3 if my Pre2 dies, i think i will probably stick with a Pre2 in the event. Hopefully, i won't have to make that choice if someone picks up the open source in Sept.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Good review. Thanks. I've debated on picking up a Pre3 if my Pre2 dies, i think i will probably stick with a Pre2 in the event. Hopefully, i won't have to make that choice if someone picks up the open source in Sept.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Thanks dude...if it means anything I demoed the phone to a solid IOS ****** and he was floored by just type quick actions and the quick launcher gesture..amazing how such old features are sill webos exclusive...sad to see it in such a bad place

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Vistaus likes this.
  4. #4  
    Thanks. Very clear and helpful. Because of the issues you said, I will advise my non-techie biz power user friend to stick with Pre2 for which he has had absolutely no complaints over the past 1 1/2-its run like a champ for him.

    I might try buying the Pre3 ATT with Straighttalk if I can find one for cheap. I have a few veers as spares and they run like a champ so I'm in no rush.
  5.    #5  
    One thing I want to add about the verizon pre3.. Its oddly doesn't seem to carry beats audio. The logo is not on the box or in the settings menu in webOS. Weird because I'm pretty sure its in all the other pre3s. Overall sound was crisp and bassy but like older pres I wish it was a bit louder. Esp at gym when I need that extra punch.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    One thing I want to add about the verizon pre3.. Its oddly doesn't seem to carry beats audio. The logo is not on the box or in the settings menu in webOS. Weird because I'm pretty sure its in all the other pre3s. Overall sound was crisp and bassy but like older pres I wish it was a bit louder. Esp at gym when I need that extra punch.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    touchvol app should let you change some settings to near enough the same as beats, it was just mostly EQ settings anyways rather than hardware, i think touchvol works on phones as well as touchpad.
  7. #7  
    Touchvol works on Pre3 and touchpad only. Volume works on Pre2 but eq has no effect
  8. #8  
    Good review. Glad I'm not the only one that seems to have software problems (e.g. TMC errors) with it. Otherwise, I love it... definitely the best webOS phone out there and hopefully not the last. =(
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    One thing I want to add about the verizon pre3.. Its oddly doesn't seem to carry beats audio. The logo is not on the box or in the settings menu in webOS. Weird because I'm pretty sure its in all the other pre3s. Overall sound was crisp and bassy but like older pres I wish it was a bit louder. Esp at gym when I need that extra punch.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I haven't seen anything about beats audio on my Pre 3 (GSM QWERTZ German version). Not on the packaging and nowhere in the software. It's basically only an equalizer setting anyway. I doubt the Pre 3 has an especially insulated audio pathway or anything.
  10. Balooz's Avatar
    Posts
    271 Posts
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    #10  
    The beats audio was only available on the touchpad not the phones.(none of the phones offered it or advertised it) only Touchpad. (darnit) It would be nice to have on HPre³.

    Sent from HPTP Communities
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Balooz View Post
    The beats audio was only available on the touchpad not the phones.(none of the phones offered it or advertised it) only Touchpad. (darnit) It would be nice to have on HPre³.

    Sent from HPTP Communities
    Right...I think I remember reading this ...ahh the good old days of webOS hardware rumors

    http://www.webosroundup.com/2011/06/...t-beats-audio/

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  12. pflaume's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #12  
    Good old rumors :>

    I'm very excited what will happen to the Pre3 when open webOS is released, since i'm using it for months now and I'm very satisfied with the phone, but also think it could may use a little refresh / upgrade. Very sad that HP dropped webOS so fast...
    PREcurser likes this.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by pflaume View Post
    Good old rumors :>

    I'm very excited what will happen to the Pre3 when open webOS is released, since i'm using it for months now and I'm very satisfied with the phone, but also think it could may use a little refresh / upgrade. Very sad that HP dropped webOS so fast...
    From what I understand..open webOS is for webOS 3.0 only..that means ..as of now..touchpad only. So I don't know for sure if you'll see a pre3 update. If you havnt installed preware, do so asap! Its awesome!



    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  14. Balooz's Avatar
    Posts
    271 Posts
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    From what I understand..open webOS is for webOS 3.0 only..that means ..as of now..touchpad only. So I don't know for sure if you'll see a pre3 update. If you havnt installed preware, do so asap! Its awesome!



    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Yeah, my impression as well it being for the 3.0 version of webOS. . I would of liked version for the Pre³ as well, but you never know what can be accomplished by the people working their tails off for the open webOS. I'm looking forward to the effects and accomplishments of its debut. I whole heartedly want webOS to continue flourish and expand as much as any user of the system, but as I've been using it from its release my optimism and hopes have been through the roller coaster rides from he'll and I'm getting tired of all the bs webOS has gone through. For such a top notch user friendly highly effective is its such a shame what everyone has gone through over the years just to have to start all over again and again and again! I am all for webOS and its contributers, but g'damn when are they gonna catch a positive break?! (damnit.).
    PREcurser likes this.
  15. pflaume's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    From what I understand..open webOS is for webOS 3.0 only..that means ..as of now..touchpad only. So I don't know for sure if you'll see a pre3 update. If you havnt installed preware, do so asap! Its awesome!


    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I think that some of the devs out there may be able to port it to the Pre3 - I mean the even got Ubuntu work on an HTC HD2 so why not?

    Preware is great, installed it as soon as i got my Pre3 (the guy I bought it from had 4 or 5 Pre3 and told me to install it right away) and with all the patches and modifications webOS gets even better.
    But what I noticed is that most apps aren't compatible to the Pre3 (as the threadstarter mentioned in his review already) and that many apps are being released to TP only. We only can hope that the big community around webOS doesn't turn it's back at it - as HP did.
    I still can't understand what HP did there and how the people out there treated webOS. When you compare a topclass android smartphone (like galaxy s2 / s3) to our "old and rusty" (in hardware specs) Pre3 with webOS and only look at the fluidity of the animations, the android phone would lose - and thats only one of the specs to compare, list could go on and on. I can't understand why nobody (of the great mass) saw the potential of this OS.
    Last edited by pflaume; 06/18/2012 at 12:46 AM.
    PREcurser likes this.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by pflaume View Post
    I think that some of the devs out there may be able to port it to the Pre3 - I mean the even got Ubuntu work on an HTC HD2 so why not?

    Preware is great, installed it as soon as i got my Pre3 (the guy I bought it from had 4 or 5 Pre3 and told me to install it right away) and with all the patches and modifications webOS gets even better.
    But what I noticed is that most apps aren't compatible to the Pre3 (as the threadstarter mentioned in his review already) and that many apps are being released to TP only. We only can hope that the big community around webOS doesn't turn it's back at it - as HP did.
    I still can't understand what HP did there and how the people out there treated webOS. When you compare a topclass android smartphone (like galaxy s2 / s3) to our "old and rusty" (in hardware specs) Pre3 with webOS and only look at the fluidity of the animations, the android phone would lose - and thats only one of the specs to compare, list could go on and on. I can't understand why nobody (of the great mass) saw the potential of this OS.
    I can answer this easily..its because webOS excelled in one area..usability..and the problem with usability is that you can't tell people what it is, or why they need it..you have to learn it for yourself..try to explain to someone why they need Just Type..they would say..I can do that in google..tell them why they need cards...they will say just go back to the launcher...tell them why they need synergy...they say can't the phone person transfer my contacts?

    Its not until you use a webOS device that you understand just how amazing these features are. And why its worth giving up the high rez screen and the dual core for it. It was tough for palm to explain and HP didn't do much better. Then one stroke of bad luck Leo canned webOS and at that point it was doomed. Meg wouldn't be able to revive it. Carriers bailed and it was over. Only hope is that other manufacturers sick of the patent wars and competing with their liscencers give webOS a chance.

    Sad sad story..but hey, maybe blackberry can keep ripping webOS off and we will have a second chance!!

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  17. #17  
    Co-sign. Except for the bb part, want authentic webos devices
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Co-sign. Except for the bb part, want authentic webos devices
    Hehe the BB part was kind of a joke..but its so sad how no other OS out there now excites me. Its so over saturated with slab iphone wannabes ... Sad


    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    PREcurser and RumoredNow like this.
  19. pflaume's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #19  
    Yeah I know what you mean, wasn't able to get used to another system on the market (except BB OS). But I think BB is going to put something very interesting on the market with their new QNX-system - we'll see.

    A colleague of mine (loyal iphone user) tried my Pre3 for about 5 mins and was excited about the features webOS has - like just type and the gestures. Sad that theres no phone or os that can compete with this...
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by pflaume View Post
    Yeah I know what you mean, wasn't able to get used to another system on the market (except BB OS). But I think BB is going to put something very interesting on the market with their new QNX-system - we'll see.

    A colleague of mine (loyal iphone user) tried my Pre3 for about 5 mins and was excited about the features webOS has - like just type and the gestures. Sad that theres no phone or os that can compete with this...
    Same here..my coworker flat out laughed at my Pre3 purchase..then I showed it to him..he wants one now..unbelievable how all these new high tech smart phones don't even have something as simple as just type or gesture areas or message waiting indicators

    .something tells me HP might reconsider webOS one day. With Google and Microsoft's now in the hardware biz .. It kind of changes HP's look on things..

    And if they dont..BB really seems to be serious about QNX .. I own a playbook also and it really is well done for what it is..just lacks a lot of features ...

    Who knows..only time will tell..thank god I got a new Pre 3 to hold me over

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions