Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. trillexer's Avatar
    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
       #1  
    I have a Pre 3 for Straight Talk and a Pre 2 on Sprint (it was a Verizon phone in its past life) and, out of curiosity, I pondered, "Can you pair two Palm Pres together?" So I gave it a try and something magical happened: they detected each other and gave the "Allow" option (thus pairing). I was excited, but then something very UN-magical happened: they act like the other is not available.

    It does look like it’s possible because they both, on the Pre 2 and Pre 3 come up with an option not available when doing standard Touchpad pairing. Instead of just offering “Mirror Phone Calls” and “Mirror SMS”, the new options are “Phonebook Access” and “Message Access”.



    The problem is, I can’t get the Pres to go black instead of the “Out of Range/Inactive” grey. The picture below shows a Touchpad which has the black text showing that it's available to be connected to.



    This is important because I'm still under contract with Sprint for a few more months and I don't really want to pay for two plans. My hope was to pair the devices and have one just act as the antenna for the other. The goal may not be possible because a phone call option is not available, but I'd still like to actually get them paired and connected. Who knows what kind of goodies might come out of it?

    Any ideas out there in the WebOS Nation?
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by trillexer View Post
    It does look like it’s possible because they both, on the Pre 2 and Pre 3 come up with an option not available when doing standard Touchpad pairing. Instead of just offering “Mirror Phone Calls” and “Mirror SMS”, the new options are “Phonebook Access” and “Message Access”.
    This tells me they are viewing eachother as BT audio devices. The problem is, sounds like they both see the other as a BT audio device, meaning no function because they are paired in a manor that will not allow what you are attempting to do.

    There is one way you could kinda do what you want to do. Buy GVoice for the Pre3, get a google voice number, use free tether to tether the Pre2 to the Pre3 then the Pre3 could technically function as a phone (sorts).

    Your other option, check and see what your early termination is on sprint. If it's just one line, you are probably looking at $50. We terminated 3ish months early and paid $50 per line last year.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  3. trillexer's Avatar
    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    This tells me they are viewing eachother as BT audio devices. The problem is, sounds like they both see the other as a BT audio device, meaning no function because they are paired in a manor that will not allow what you are attempting to do.
    That's probably the case. It would be nice if there was some kind of sharing through this though. I heard of an old Sony MP3 player that would act like a phone when paired to an actual phone. It's kind of an interesting idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    There is one way you could kinda do what you want to do. Buy GVoice for the Pre3, get a google voice number, use free tether to tether the Pre2 to the Pre3 then the Pre3 could technically function as a phone (sorts).
    Currently, I'm already using Google voice, but not everyone has my number. I got it a few years ago and have been elusively giving it out, but those, pre-gVoice people still use my Sprint one. Regardless, I'm already dialing out with my gVoice number as I don't want anyone seeing my Straight Talk number (I don't know how long I plan on using it). I usually just dial from the gVoice website when dialing out. As for texting, most of my friends use gTalk anyway, so there's no issue there.

    Once my trial month with straight talk is up, I'll probably be using free tether too. Though, I'll be sad to lost HSPA+ in the mean time.

    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Your other option, check and see what your early termination is on sprint. If it's just one line, you are probably looking at $50. We terminated 3ish months early and paid $50 per line last year.
    I may just end up biting the bullet and doing that. At least I have options right?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions