1.    #1  
    Every time I re-start or switch off my PC while the Pre3 is charging via USB, the phone completely shuts off, only way to get it back to life is removing the battery, is that normal?
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    That sounds like you are cutting the connection without a safe disconnect of a USB device. You certainly didn't mention that step... Or do you mean when the phone is in Charge Only mode?

At any rate, I wouldn't power down my PC with my phone slaved via USB in any mode. What is the point of leaving it connected after the PC shuts down?
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  3.    #3  
    By charging I meant exactly that, simply charging no USB.

You're quite right, but it does happen quite often with my old PC that it just gets stuck and won't recognise any input from mouse, that's where the restart comes into it.
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    Can you test on another PC? Or try the other USB ports on the system.
    Maybe its a temporary surge on the USB port at motherboard POST? If its old as you say, its possible that some capacitors and other components are no longer functioning within spec. Check for swollen or leaking capacitors on the motherboard.

It could also be a faulty power supply (capacitor issues again) but I wouldnt suggest opening your PSU... really, dont.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Yeah you do not open PSU,s or monitors. There is a thing about those two devices that causes them to hold enough electric charge even unplugged for long periods of time that can and have caused electrocution and death after being unplugged and grounded.
    It is a problem with one of your USB ports malfunctioning or shorting out and or other part on motherboard not functioning properly, not you PSU. (if it is your PSU, only replacing it will work. You shouldn't ever open a PSU for the chance of electrocution remains even after being unplugged.)Chances are your gonna burn your pre out by continueing to use a faulty USB port or short on the computer. Highly advise you leave the phone off your USB , and find an alternative way to charge, like the a.c. Adapter?

Sent from HPTP Communities
    Last edited by Balooz; 06/19/2012 at 03:32 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Balooz View Post
    Highly advise you leave the phone off your USB , and find an alternative way to charge, like the a.c. Adapter?
    Just to be on the safe side I'm charging it via the AC adapter, but it's very unfortunate as it was very convenient for me to get it charged on my desk, now I can't hear if it's ringing while it's charging.. not being my PC but the one I use at work, I can't possibly have it open solely for my own personal use.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    You can also try another USB port, I've had one of my ports faulty when my phone or USB network adapter was plugged into it , but if I plugged my mouse into it, it was fine. You may just want to switch around some of the other USB ports and see if that may be the quick fix. The phone may just be pulling to much juice from that port or a combination of numerous USB devices plugged in at the same time. If you disconnect a couple of the other ports and maybe free up more resources for when the phone is plugged in.

Sent from either my Pre, Pre˛, Preł, or TP's.*