webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Removed the chrome from my battery cover
Removed the chrome from my battery cover
Like Tree6Likes

Old 06/11/2012, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

The chrome piece that makes up the middle of the "P" in HP fell off of my Pre3's battery cover. Today, I took tweezers and pried off the rest of the chrome and washed the glue residue off with some alcohol.

I don't think it looks half bad!

jlamb0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2012, 11:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Pics or it didn't happen!
Old 06/12/2012, 07:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mmm, so that means we could add the chromed "palm" letters from an old pre cover??? Tempting...

And pictures please... At least put your pre on a mirror and take the pic, lol...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
chav1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2012, 08:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry, I thought I had attached a picture. Here's another try:

I'm not sure we could get the palm chrome to fit, since there's still an "HP" shaped indentation in the plastic. I would love to have a Palm branded Pre3, though.
Liked by xandros9, cujoq37 and GLa'DOS like this.
Old 06/12/2012, 10:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

MY 'P-middle-bit' fell off last week!
Looks like chrome lettering has a 10 month lifespan
I think I'll follow your example and remove the lot (especially as I still have a pristine 'backup' Pre3 if I really want to gaze upon the shiny logo)
Old 06/12/2012, 11:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
I think I'll follow your example and remove the lot (especially as I still have a pristine 'backup' Pre3 if I really want to gaze upon the shiny logo)
I work in a university lab, so I was able to use 70% ethanol to clean off the glue residue that the larger chrome piece leaves behind. I'm not sure how well drugstore rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) will work, but that's what I would try. It should be plenty safe for the plastic.

Old 06/12/2012, 11:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Oh ok, got it... Definitely the palm logo wouldn't fit...

But doesn't look bad at all with just the HP indentation... as in the picture... I like it...

You did a clean job there, no scratches or marks... I like it...

chav1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2012, 11:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
Center of my P fell off randomly last week..... wife got to listen to me rant for a good couple hours. I might have to yank the rest of mine off too, looks nice and clean
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2012, 01:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

You know you are old when...

The middle of your P just falls off...

*cue rimshot*

RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2012, 02:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1to View Post
Oh ok, got it... Definitely the palm logo wouldn't fit...

But doesn't look bad at all with just the HP indentation... as in the picture... I like it...

You did a clean job there, no scratches or marks... I like it...

Thanks, I definitely don't hate it. I wouldn't mind finding a source for a replacement battery door, though. I can see it wearing out fairly quickly, and if the part was available it would be a trivial matter to replace.

Thanked By: netwrkr9
Old 06/12/2012, 05:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlamb0 View Post
I work in a university lab, so I was able to use 70% ethanol to clean off the glue residue that the larger chrome piece leaves behind. I'm not sure how well drugstore rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) will work, but that's what I would try. It should be plenty safe for the plastic.

I have some Isopropyl alcohol I got the chemist to give me once, however I've always used WD-40 to get off sticky residue as it works beautifully. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 06/12/2012, 05:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

WD40 will never come clean off the back of the phone
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 06/12/2012, 06:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

So... I have actually considered attaching the old palm logo that I yanked off of a Pre/Pre2 back on my Mugen extended battery back... except... I am not sure how to go about attaching it. I am thinking using tweezers and some super glue to attach the pieces, and then letting that dry and coating the pieces in a sort of super glue protection. They're really thin pieces of metal, so they are fragile...
Old 06/13/2012, 10:46 AM   #14 (permalink)

If you're handy with a rattle can, you could try some clear coat. Not sure what the finish is on the mugen cover
Old 09/30/2012, 03:18 AM   #15 (permalink)

Anyone want to go into a bit more detail on how to get that logo off? The centre of my P fell off too, and it looks so silly.

Plus the scratches the chrome logo has picked up over just about 6 months, is ridiculous! Looks horrible.

The logo looks much better off, but i want to do it right...assistance?
Old 10/01/2012, 11:59 AM   #16 (permalink)

I was just looking at mine last night... I'm gonna do mine with my super small screwdrivers that my wife bought me for crazy electronics work.
Old 10/01/2012, 04:21 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
I was just looking at mine last night... I'm gonna do mine with my super small screwdrivers that my wife bought me for crazy electronics work.
Wouldn't that cause a lot of scratching? Let me know how it goes, any pointers
Old 10/01/2012, 08:53 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
Wouldn't that cause a lot of scratching? Let me know how it goes, any pointers
These are MICRO, part of the set is the torx drives you would use to take apart the phone.... just enough to pull up an edge... we shall see
Old 10/02/2012, 02:40 PM   #19 (permalink)

The inside of my P fell off about 4 months after getting the phone. I used an exacto knife to get the rest of the HP logo off and it looks great.

Vent Mounted Touchstone for Pre3 DIY!
vasekvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 10/13/2012, 12:05 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
You know you are old when...

The middle of your P just falls off...

*cue rimshot*

Looks like everybody's "middle of P" eventually falls off!
Me too...

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0