Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    The chrome piece that makes up the middle of the "P" in HP fell off of my Pre3's battery cover. Today, I took tweezers and pried off the rest of the chrome and washed the glue residue off with some alcohol.

I don't think it looks half bad!
    Last edited by jlamb0; 05/25/2016 at 02:07 PM. Reason: fixed picture link
    Pics or it didn't happen!
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Mmm, so that means we could add the chromed "palm" letters from an old pre cover??? Tempting...

And pictures please... At least put your pre on a mirror and take the pic, lol...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Sorry, I thought I had attached a picture. Here's another try:

I'm not sure we could get the palm chrome to fit, since there's still an "HP" shaped indentation in the plastic. I would love to have a Palm branded Pre3, though.
    cujoq37, xandros9 and GLa'DOS like this.
    MY 'P-middle-bit' fell off last week!
    Looks like chrome lettering has a 10 month lifespan
    I think I'll follow your example and remove the lot (especially as I still have a pristine 'backup' Pre3 if I really want to gaze upon the shiny logo)
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    I think I'll follow your example and remove the lot (especially as I still have a pristine 'backup' Pre3 if I really want to gaze upon the shiny logo)
    I work in a university lab, so I was able to use 70% ethanol to clean off the glue residue that the larger chrome piece leaves behind. I'm not sure how well drugstore rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) will work, but that's what I would try. It should be plenty safe for the plastic.

Oh ok, got it... Definitely the palm logo wouldn't fit...

But doesn't look bad at all with just the HP indentation... as in the picture... I like it...

You did a clean job there, no scratches or marks... I like it...

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    Center of my P fell off randomly last week..... wife got to listen to me rant for a good couple hours. I might have to yank the rest of mine off too, looks nice and clean
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    You know you are old when...

The middle of your P just falls off...

*cue rimshot*

Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chav1to View Post
    Oh ok, got it... Definitely the palm logo wouldn't fit...

But doesn't look bad at all with just the HP indentation... as in the picture... I like it...

You did a clean job there, no scratches or marks... I like it...

Thanks, I definitely don't hate it. I wouldn't mind finding a source for a replacement battery door, though. I can see it wearing out fairly quickly, and if the part was available it would be a trivial matter to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by jlamb0 View Post
    I work in a university lab, so I was able to use 70% ethanol to clean off the glue residue that the larger chrome piece leaves behind. I'm not sure how well drugstore rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) will work, but that's what I would try. It should be plenty safe for the plastic.

I have some Isopropyl alcohol I got the chemist to give me once, however I've always used WD-40 to get off sticky residue as it works beautifully. I'll let you know how it goes.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    WD40 will never come clean off the back of the phone
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    So... I have actually considered attaching the old palm logo that I yanked off of a Pre/Pre2 back on my Mugen extended battery back... except... I am not sure how to go about attaching it. I am thinking using tweezers and some super glue to attach the pieces, and then letting that dry and coating the pieces in a sort of super glue protection. They're really thin pieces of metal, so they are fragile...
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    If you're handy with a rattle can, you could try some clear coat. Not sure what the finish is on the mugen cover
    Anyone want to go into a bit more detail on how to get that logo off? The centre of my P fell off too, and it looks so silly.

Plus the scratches the chrome logo has picked up over just about 6 months, is ridiculous! Looks horrible.

The logo looks much better off, but i want to do it right...assistance?
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    I was just looking at mine last night... I'm gonna do mine with my super small screwdrivers that my wife bought me for crazy electronics work.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I was just looking at mine last night... I'm gonna do mine with my super small screwdrivers that my wife bought me for crazy electronics work.
    Wouldn't that cause a lot of scratching? Let me know how it goes, any pointers
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    Wouldn't that cause a lot of scratching? Let me know how it goes, any pointers
    These are MICRO, part of the set is the torx drives you would use to take apart the phone.... just enough to pull up an edge... we shall see
    The inside of my P fell off about 4 months after getting the phone. I used an exacto knife to get the rest of the HP logo off and it looks great.

OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    You know you are old when...

The middle of your P just falls off...

*cue rimshot*

Looks like everybody's "middle of P" eventually falls off!
    Me too...
    Palm III> Visor> Visorphone> Treo 180> 270> 600> 650> 680> Centro> HTC Tilt> BB-8310> Pixi-Plus> Pre 3
    Touchpad 16GB
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast