Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Paulscarbs
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  1.    #1  
    I have been searching for an affordable sync program. I have read pages of questions, answers and have seen the high prices charged for some software that enables syncronisation to and from Outlook to WebOS.

Surly there is a small program that operates with ActivSync and WebOS?

If there isn't one how hard could it be for some of the Homebrew gang?

I welcome your thoughts.
    RumoredNow likes this.
  2.    #2  
    How about integrating Palm Desktop 6.2.2 to syncronise with WebOS?

Is it too much bother?
    I use pocket mirror. Works well. Yes it does cost, but remember the old palmOS apps weren't exactly all $1 either. I think you can do 6.2.2 with echo. There's 2 3rd party vendors I believe.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    I use pocket mirror. Works well. Yes it does cost, but remember the old palmOS apps weren't exactly all $1 either. I think you can do 6.2.2 with echo. There's 2 3rd party vendors I believe.
    $39.95 US is sort of steep... and by looking up both Pocket Mirror and Echo I see they are both from Chapura. So that makes 1, not 2, third party vendors.

I agree with the OP that there should already have been a reasonably priced solution. The history of handheld has always included desktop sync. It is only lately that such function has not been automatic, free and built into the OS/hardware by the OEM(s) with a simple install of a desktop client.

Apparently MissingSync used to fill this void, but have pulled their webOS support.

I would suggest to the OP (Paulscarbs) that he try posting a request in the Homebrew Apps forum. I, for one, would join my voice to the thread and feel confident that many others would as well. It might get more notice from Developers over in the appropriate forum.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Companion Link is the other company, of which I was thinking. Of course when I bought it, it was 30 - didn't know they raised the price.

Pocket mirror lets you use your TP and your phone without charging for each device.

Maybe someone can create one, perhaps the dev doing the syncML work.
  6.    #6  

Apparently MissingSync used to fill this void, but have pulled their webOS support.

I would suggest to the OP (Paulscarbs) that he try posting a request in the Homebrew Apps forum. I, for one, would join my voice to the thread and feel confident that many others would as well. It might get more notice from Developers over in the appropriate forum.
    I am afraid I do not the the privileges!

Can anybody else do it for me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulscarbs View Post
    I am afraid I do not the the privileges!

Can anybody else do it for me?
    You do have the power, my friend...

It is an open discussion forum farther down the main page from this Pre 3 forum:

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-homebrew-apps/

Anyone can post there... If you start the thread title with [App Request] it will be seen and discussed. Maybe someone will take up the cause and start development. If you are hesitant, I will start a thread, but it is your idea first that it come from Homebrew.

Mobile Nations Devotee
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    You do have the power, my friend...

It is an open discussion forum farther down the main page from this Pre 3 forum:

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-homebrew-apps/

Anyone can post there... If you start the thread title with [App Request] it will be seen and discussed. Maybe someone will take up the cause and start development. If you are hesitant, I will start a thread, but it is your idea first that it come from Homebrew.
    I have little power I'm afraid and am unable to post. Please go ahead and post the info.
    Many thanks.
    OK I guess it isn't an open forum... I suppose only Developers can start threads there. I did not know until just now... My apologies, Paulscarbs.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Paulscarbs likes this.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    OK I guess it isn't an open forum... I suppose only Developers can start threads there. I did not know until just now... My apologies, Paulscarbs.
    No worries. Can I assume you will post it for me?
    I can't. I'm not a developer...

Mobile Nations Devotee
  12.    #12  
    Back where we started - unless developers are reading this? I'm attempting to configure Hotmail with Outlook sync to overcome the issues. Not having much luck though :-| I have read that Hotmail is able to sync what I need for free so if there's info on how to do it I'd be very greatful :-)

Are there any developers reading these threads?
  13.    #13  
    I have discovered GO sync mod:

GO Contact Sync Mod | Free Communications software downloads at SourceForge.net

IT'S FREE!

It syncs Outlook with Google and therefore, if a WebOS account is also synced with Google - hey presto!

I've been using it for a while now with success - particularly to keep contacts synced.

It's a start non-the-less.
    This... probably isn't the answer to your problem, but...

I use MS SyncToy to back up files to the phone. It has three basic sync modes. I've set up a number of pairs including a selective back up of the phone system as suggested here. This program can be automated by task scheduler. I use USB mode, but I think I've successfully tested with WiFi File Sharing.

Depending on how data is stored in the calendar, contacts app, etc., it may be theorectically possible to sync specific folder pairs that contain the relevant data. However, this would require developer mode to access the full file system. Even if that works, I'd be surprised if data in a desktop program was stored in the same format as on webOS, though these days it might be possible. Failing that, you'd need some kind of conversion program. I assume palm desktop was built to offer data to hotsync in a form simplified for the handheld. With webOS being a Linux based system, it might be simple to sync to a Linux desktop (big maybe) or even a MAC or Windows system if common formats are used (unlikely?). Of course, outside of Windows you'd need other sync programs.

Summary:
    1. (Common type) File sync & transfer = Easy
    2. WebOS system access for the sync program = Possible with Dev mode?
    3. File type compatibility = ? I expect unlikely.
    4. Data conversion options? I have no idea, but there exists the Data Transfer Assistant which offers a one time, one way conversion and transfer service from Palm Desktop & I think Outlook. If the code can be examined (Is it OSS?) it might be possible to work the same process in reverse, giving two way conversion prior to synchronisation.

That's it. Optimistically, a developer who knows webOS might read this and confirm it's possible to do all this with a script or batch file to run exisitng tools. Or maybe someone could write or adapt a program to perform conversion if the data files are not compatible.

Or maybe not!