Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I've actually had this problem before about a year ago on this phone (UK Pre 3 8Gb on O2) - when I call people I can hear them but they can't hear me. I doctored the phone a couple of weeks ago which seemed to solve it (and the battery life improved immensely) but today it's come back and worse - not even a full device restart is working now, and the phone is useless as a phone.

When it happened before, lengthy calls to HP support resulted in the "solution" of creating a new Palm profile. I wasn't happy with that because it meant all the apps I'd bought were lost - including some nice freebies that would never be available again. Since the original problem was solved I've bought quite a few more apps and don't really want to see that investment go down the drain. I'm also running out of email addresses I can use!

I do have quite a few patches on the phone - I have all sconix's advanced patches as well as all the various patches for trying to minimise the Too Many Cards issue. And I have uberkernel. Oh and in case anyone asks, I never use a headset and haven't used headphones on it to listen to music in ages.

As I'm sure other webOS fans will recognise, I'm getting a lot of pressure from friends and relatives to get rid of my "stupid toy" and get a "proper phone" instead. It's especially depressing when they shout it down the phone at me in no uncertain terms when they get one of my ghost calls. I really love webOS, but when it's acting up like this I have zero arguments about how superior it is because the phone doesn't work as a phone!

I have considered getting a 16Gb AT&T Pre 3 from ebay in the US (with eye-watering P&P costs, and gawd knows what Her Majesty's Customs will demand I pay on top), but I don't know if it will work in the UK or if the same problem will appear on that phone too, meaning more wasted money.

I *really* don't want to leave WebOS. Please help!
    do you ever use a wired headset? Bluetooth? A touchpad? Last time I had that issue it was because the calls were being answered by the touchpad that was in my back pack.

also once got stuck in headset mode. Removing the battery solved it, and it never happened again.
    BTW, creating a new profile would seem to me to work for you only because it wouldn't carry your Bluetooth profiles, so that's my best guess. You shouldn't have to remove the battery (it's a pain). I forgot to try holding the volume while flipping the mute switch rapidly 3 times, which should have the same effect.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    BTW, creating a new profile would seem to me to work for you only because it wouldn't carry your Bluetooth profiles, so that's my best guess. You shouldn't have to remove the battery (it's a pain). I forgot to try holding the volume while flipping the mute switch rapidly 3 times, which should have the same effect.
    Thanks for the swift reply. No, as mentioned above I never use a headset and so I never use bluetooth. I do have a touchpad and did experiment with touch-to-share and other things when I first got it, but the novelty quickly wore off and I couldn't really see the advantage of having the phone and tablet linked so the touchpad is used as a standalone device. In any case, all bluetooth profiles were wiped when ages ago with the 2.2.4 update.

If I have to create a new profile I guess so be it, but seeing all the money I've spent on apps go down the plughole wouldn't exactly make my day, so I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

The thing that gets me is that this happened before on a different profile. If I'm going to have to create a new profile every few months, I'm just chucking money into a black hole when I buy apps. To be honest, removing the battery is much less of a pain than creating a new profile! I'm sure it's Leo's fault somewhere down the line..... ;-)

Something I did notice though when I doctored the phone - all the files on the usb partition remained intact and I thought doctoring was supposed to wipe and set the phone back to factory settings?
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyBoy View Post
    Something I did notice though when I doctored the phone - all the files on the usb partition remained intact and I thought doctoring was supposed to wipe and set the phone back to factory settings?
    That is now normal behaviour. I can't remember when that changed, it might have been as far back as 1.4.5
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    That is now normal behaviour. I can't remember when that changed, it might have been as far back as 1.4.5
    Ah right. Nothing to worry about then. It's been quite a while since I've had to doctor so I guess I forgot. Although I was kinda hoping it might have given someone an idea (I know, clutching at straws).
    FS: Hp Pre 3 - Unlocked

$300USD, AT&T model and used....so you might get away without paying customs...not sure how it works exactly with used items.

Besides doctoring, I'm not sure what other courses of action you could take to solve your problem. Have you run the diagnostic test found under Device Info/Preferences/Tests/Interactive Tests/Audio/Phone?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  8.    #8  
    FS: Hp Pre 3 - Unlocked

$300USD, AT&T model and used....so you might get away without paying customs...not sure how it works exactly with used items.

Besides doctoring, I'm not sure what other courses of action you could take to solve your problem. Have you run the diagnostic test found under Device Info/Preferences/Tests/Interactive Tests/Audio/Phone?
    I just performed the tests and it passed, although when it was playing the piano chords both on the phone tests and the speakerphone tests the chords became distorted towards the end. I don't know if that means anything. It passed the microphone tests though. After multiple reboots the phone is now working as a phone, although obviously I can't tell for how much longer. It's clear that I can't trust this phone any more, and i'm on-call next thursday night so I'll have to dig out an old phone for that *sigh*

I re-read the AT&T pre3 entry I saw on ebay and the guy has said the usb port has a crack on it, so I think i'll avoid having had such a hairline crack eventually destroy my pre-. I've not had a lot of luck have i? lol. And thanks for your offer, but while having the extra 8Gb storage would be lovely, I'm suddenly a bit scared that either the import won't fully work with our GSM spectrum, or the same problems would return on the new device.
    I'm pretty sure it works in ROW, at 2100 Ghz, as outlined here:
    ATT Pre3 2100 GSM Radio Band
    and the wiki here:
    HP Pre 3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I understand the hesitation though.
  10.    #10  
    I'm pretty sure it works in ROW, at 2100 Ghz, as outlined here:
    ATT Pre3 2100 GSM Radio Band
    and the wiki here:
    HP Pre 3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I understand the hesitation though.
    I'll have to see how it goes. When it happens again I'll have to perform the tests again and if that turns up nothing then I'll have to try the new profile.

One thing though - I've got mode switcher restarting luna every night to prevent all the gunk building up in RAM. Is there any way I can schedule a full phone restart instead, which might help? (anything's worth a try!)
    "One thing though - I've got mode switcher restarting luna every night to prevent all the gunk building up in RAM."

Do you have data on - automatic backup on ?
    I think I remember reading that someone said that if you schedule restarts, and they happen by chance when the US servers issue the daily backup, there could be some issues.... dunno if this could be somehow related.
    But given that the profile is written and updated with the backups ( I suppose )....

Since now is back working, why not disabling the backup service before sleeping.. or alternatively why not turning off data totally before sleeping (and keeping the luna restart scheduled)? Just to see if it changes things
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    "One thing though - I've got mode switcher restarting luna every night to prevent all the gunk building up in RAM."

Do you have data on - automatic backup on ?
    I think I remember reading that someone said that if you schedule restarts, and they happen by chance when the US servers issue the daily backup, there could be some issues.... dunno if this could be somehow related.
    But given that the profile is written and updated with the backups ( I suppose )....

Since now is back working, why not disabling the backup service before sleeping.. or alternatively why not turning off data totally before sleeping (and keeping the luna restart scheduled)? Just to see if it changes things
    Data is off most of the time anyway,,, my house is in a bit of a data black spot and I can barely get 2G until I go out my front door. I also make wifi turn off at night too as i was finding exchange server was sapping the battery overnight, even though i've expressly made it manual (except for two minutes every hour with modeswitcher). I do recall that when I was talking to HP support previously they expressly asked me to turn on 3G saying that performing data restore from 2G was unstable, but I said I couldn't without physically leaving the house.

However, I will force a backup now over wifi and then switch it off and then see how the phone is tomorrow.

You know, it's responses like all of the above that make me glad I'm part of this community. It's just a shame we have to support each other.....
    Hi,
    I had the same problem on Pre2 (unlocked). When somebody called me - he/she did not hear my voice. Then usually he/she disconnected and called again - we were able to talk. I figured out that this happened only when network type was set to 3G/Auto. When I set it up to 2G - problem was resolved. I'm afraid this is another bug of 2.2.4 ...
  14. vrs
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I have a Pre 3 on Verizon with several Preware apps. Usually my phone works perfectly fine. Several times however, though not regularly, I have discovered that my voice can no longer be heard by others. When that happens, I simply do a device reboot and the problem is solved. Not the most convenient thing when it happens, but the simple reboot makes it go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by vrs View Post
    I have a Pre 3 on Verizon with several Preware apps. Usually my phone works perfectly fine. Several times however, though not regularly, I have discovered that my voice can no longer be heard by others. When that happens, I simply do a device reboot and the problem is solved. Not the most convenient thing when it happens, but the simple reboot makes it go away.
    I once had similar issue too. Thought that it was problem for couple of calls. But that happened for more calls that followed on. Once I rebooted the phone and everything was fine.
  16.    #16  
    It happened again yesterday, and in a near-emergency situation and I didn't exactly have time to sit and wait for the phone to restart. I had the friend I needed help from thinking I was doing some kind of prank call. Fortunately I had another phone in my car so disaster averted, and even more fortunately she answered the unknown number which she'd usually ignore.

When I got home I was able to do the interactive tests and it completely failed the microphone test - even tapping the mic directly produced no audible results. A luna restart doesn't fix it - only a complete reboot, which, as you all know takes ages.

I need to find a way of fixing this, because the phone just isn't reliable as a phone like this and carrying around backup devices ruins the point. I'm no expert, but maybe it's some kind of driver issue? As mentioned above, when it happened before, creating a new profile fixed it, but what's happening to make it return again?

Failing being able to fix the mic problem directly, is there any way I can schedule a full phone restart while I'm asleep so there's a chance the mic might be working when I need it? I already schedule a luna restart with modeswitcher, but that does nothing more than clear out the RAM really.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by TOMA52 View Post
    Hi,
    I had the same problem on Pre2 (unlocked). When somebody called me - he/she did not hear my voice. Then usually he/she disconnected and called again - we were able to talk. I figured out that this happened only when network type was set to 3G/Auto. When I set it up to 2G - problem was resolved. I'm afraid this is another bug of 2.2.4 ...
    This is interesting. I shall try this as I'm getting desperate, although for me the problem persists until the phone is fully restarted - and sometimes it needs more than one restart. Fingers crossed though. Maybe I can control it with modeswitcher.
    If you want to try the ultimate trouble shoot I would completely doctor the phone and don't restore anything. Even create a new profile and run it absolutely stock for a few days. If this solves your problem you can then start adding back software, patches, etc.

Because it works intermittently I would guess it is not a hardware problem but it could be a bad wire or connection that moves around.

This is a pain but the only true way to eliminate other variables.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    If you want to try the ultimate trouble shoot I would completely doctor the phone and don't restore anything. Even create a new profile and run it absolutely stock for a few days. If this solves your problem you can then start adding back software, patches, etc.

Because it works intermittently I would guess it is not a hardware problem but it could be a bad wire or connection that moves around.

This is a pain but the only true way to eliminate other variables.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I don't want to hear it, but I know you're right.

I'll just try the 2G possible solution above and see if that has any effect first. If not then i'll do that and resign myself to having to carrying around two phones for a few weeks.
  20.    #20  
    I hope I'm not speaking too soon, but changing the network to 2G seems to be working so far.

However I've taken it a stage further. I've set the default data to 2G but I have a "Data On" mode in modeswitcher which when invoked by one of the various triggers (apps in foreground, every hour) changes the data to 3G/Auto. It's not perfect and opening a YouTube video can be painful as it opens a new card, but so far, touch wood, I've not had any problems with the phone. I'll report back in a few days.
    TOMA52 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast