Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi I've currently got a Nokia Lumia 800, but I reallly miss WebOS after having both Pre & Pre2 and also Pixi Plus. I Just wanted to know if it was worth me selling my Lumia and getting a Pre 3 or whether I should steer clear???

I've heard that games like Angry birds don't fit the screen properly could anyone take a pic to show me?/

And am I also covered for basic apps like Facebook, Twitter & Foursquare? if so what are good ones its been a while since having a Pre2 so haven't used a WebOS device after HP made the decision.

Any Help would be gratefully
    Currently using HP Pre 3

Some of my previous phones include:
    HTC: Sensation XE, HD7, Mozart, HD2 & Legend. Sony Ericsson: Xperia X10 & Xperia X10 Mini Pro
    Motorola: Dext Palm: Pre, Pixi Plus & Pre2 Nokia: Lumia 800
    Apple: iPhone 3G: BlackBerry: Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Bold 9650, Storm 9500, Torch 9800, Curve 8900 & Curve 9300
    Yes I love the Pre 3's hardware. The software is a bit buggy but hopefully open webOS will provide opportunities for new software to make it much better.

All these are from my Pre 3.
    I can tell you how to modify foursquare's source code to fit the bottom of the screen, as there is a white space at the bottom.

I can't screencap the PDK game, but Angry birds is like in the center of the Pre 3 and it looks like a low resolution game. Not unplayable but it just looks kinda bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  3.    #3  
    hmmm thanks for your help is carbon still available?
    Currently using HP Pre 3

HTC: Sensation XE, HD7, Mozart, HD2 & Legend. Sony Ericsson: Xperia X10 & Xperia X10 Mini Pro
    Apple: iPhone 3G: BlackBerry: Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Bold 9650, Storm 9500, Torch 9800, Curve 8900 & Curve 9300
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    I can tell you how to modify foursquare's source code to fit the bottom of the screen, as there is a white space at the bottom.
    Note: To avoid the letterbox bar that will show on the Pre3 if your app retains it's Pre/Pre2-based aspect ratio, add the following to your index.html:

Code:
    <meta name='viewport' content='height=device-height'>
    from https://developer.palm.com/content/r..._download.html (at the very bottom)

You can do this with Internalz for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingcartwright View Post
    Hi I've currently got a Nokia Lumia 800, but I reallly miss WebOS after having both Pre & Pre2 and also Pixi Plus. I Just wanted to know if it was worth me selling my Lumia and getting a Pre 3 or whether I should steer clear???

I've heard that games like Angry birds don't fit the screen properly could anyone take a pic to show me?/
    There's a few black pixels to each side - biut you only notice that if you look for it. Angry Bird Works fine.
    Same goes for many of the older Pre Apps that weren't updated for the Pre3. There's a tip here somewhere on the forum with a workaround.

And am I also covered for basic apps like Facebook, Twitter & Foursquare? if so what are good ones its been a while since having a Pre2 so haven't used a WebOS device after HP made the decision.
    I'm not using FB myself - but there's many reports here on the forum that it is a fine app.

The Pre3 hardware is great. I like it so much - I got a second one as backup - just to make sure I'm covered for a couple of years. ;-)

Things are not perfect though. Updates have crawled to a halt more or less. The web browser will need an update sooner or later - or get increasingls outdated (web standards are not standing still). A replacement is in the making (ISIS) - but will probably not be available before the end of the year.

There's still an occasional app coming out/getting ported to the Pre3 and there's a few updates here or there for older apps. But not much.

But only you can know whether replacing your Lumia with a Pre3 is worthwhile for you. Tastes difffer. I don't like WP7 - so it was never an option for me.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Yes I love the Pre 3's hardware. The software is a bit buggy but hopefully open webOS will provide opportunities for new software to make it much better.

All these are from my Pre 3.

Click to view quoted image

I can't screencap the PDK game, but Angry birds is like in the center of the Pre 3 and it looks like a low resolution game. Not unplayable but it just looks kinda bad.
    That is weird. Foursquare on my Pre 3 was already optimized for the Pre 3 screen when I bought my Pre 3 about 8 months ago...
    if not a pre 3 wait for bb 10
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    the pre 3 is absolutely worth it. I have been using one as my only phone for several months now and I absolutely love it. Webos really flies on this hardware, the screen is gorgeous, and the hardware is much more solid than the old palm pres. It also feels really great in the hand.

the only thing I don't like is that because it is so good, it gives me occasional pangs of sadness that hp f****ed it up
    PREcurser likes this.
    While I love my Pre 3, I can't whole-heartedly recommend it. I upgraded from my Pre 2 (which I was very happy with) because of the:

*bigger screen (webOS finally moves up a bit!)
    *Auto-focus camera (finally!!)
    *Higher screen resolution (which provides a nice PPI)
    *Beefier processor
    *Front-facing camera for Skype
    *Touch-to-Share with my Touchpad
    *Hardware is rock solid (no slider problems (though I never had any with my Pre Plus or Pre 2)

It also has a nicer, larger keyboard, but I was also happy with the Pre 2's.

However, I feel it has plenty of cons...
    *I have the Verizon version, so while it is a World phone, I would have much rather they made it 4G like the AT&T version (as I don't think I'll ever leave the country any time soon)
    *It is no longer officially supported (and I'm surprised we got the update we did...) and the software feels very buggy and in need of some optimization. Some days it has no problems at all and it is just super slick and everything webOS should be... other days it just bogs down and can't seem to do anything without stuttering. I am also in Tucson, AZ and our temp is higher than most (we've hit 105 F quite a few times so far this Summer) and I feel like that has something to do with the lag.
    *Doesn't sit well on the old Touchstones
    *And it way overheats on the touchstone (again, my climate may play a large part in that)

All-in-all, I love my Pre 3 for the advantages it does have (and I feel like I'd better for paying $400 for it. The AT&T version goes for around $200-250 and has 4G, so I think it's the better deal).
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    make sure you turn off all logging and install uberkernel... It makes a big difference on the pre3.
  11.    #11  
    Is the Carbon twitter app still available?
    Currently using HP Pre 3

Carbon is no longer avaliable in the App Catalog, however if you have purchased it previously on your Palm Profile you can use App Tuckerbox and Preware to install it.

Also, there are several other really good Twitter apps such as Project Macaw, Phnx, Sparrow, etc. You can see this article for my information on webOS Twitter Clients:

http://www.webosnation.com/webos-apps-twitter

As far as angry birds goes here is a screenshot of it on the Pre3:

You really don't notice the black bars when playing it however as they blend into the rest of the phone. Interestingly Angry Birds Rio and Seasons are sized perfectly for the Pre3 even though regular Angry Birds isn't.

I'm not sure if you have a TouchPad but if you do then you can use App Tuckerbox and Preware to expand your game and app selection quite a bit. A lot of the PDK and Enyo apps that are marked in the App Catalog as being compatible with the TouchPad only scale perfectly on the Pre3.

You might want to check out webOS Nation's review of the Pre3 (http://www.webosnation.com/review-hp-pre3) as it goes into a lot of detail on the pros and cons of the phone. (Keeping in mind 2.2.4 has since been released for the Pre3 smoothing out the software a lot.)

I think it's a great phone and if you love webOS I couldn't recommend it more. It's the best phone (so far) to run webOS. The hardware is very good with it having a front-facing camera, autofocus 5MP rear camera, TouchStone/TTS support, and 800x400 resolution. The app selection could be better but isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I have 76 apps and 54 games on my Pre3 and only find myself wanting about a dozen apps/games total that aren't avaliable on webOS (I use CM9 on my TouchPad for those). It should be getting Open webOS and ACL this fall giving the phone a bright future with a very expanded app selection.
    Last edited by cbosdell; 06/10/2012 at 07:55 AM.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koiji412 View Post
    While I love my Pre 3, I can't whole-heartedly recommend it. I upgraded from my Pre 2 (which I was very happy with) because of the:

*bigger screen (webOS finally moves up a bit!)
    *Auto-focus camera (finally!!)
    *Higher screen resolution (which provides a nice PPI)
    *Beefier processor
    *Front-facing camera for Skype
    *Touch-to-Share with my Touchpad
    *Hardware is rock solid (no slider problems (though I never had any with my Pre Plus or Pre 2)

It also has a nicer, larger keyboard, but I was also happy with the Pre 2's.

However, I feel it has plenty of cons...
    *I have the Verizon version, so while it is a World phone, I would have much rather they made it 4G like the AT&T version (as I don't think I'll ever leave the country any time soon)
    *It is no longer officially supported (and I'm surprised we got the update we did...) and the software feels very buggy and in need of some optimization. Some days it has no problems at all and it is just super slick and everything webOS should be... other days it just bogs down and can't seem to do anything without stuttering. I am also in Tucson, AZ and our temp is higher than most (we've hit 105 F quite a few times so far this Summer) and I feel like that has something to do with the lag.
    *Doesn't sit well on the old Touchstones
    *And it way overheats on the touchstone (again, my climate may play a large part in that)

All-in-all, I love my Pre 3 for the advantages it does have (and I feel like I'd better for paying $400 for it. The AT&T version goes for around $200-250 and has 4G, so I think it's the better deal).
    Check your WOSN inbox for a message.
  14.    #14  
    thanks alot for the info guys

I don't have a touchpad, I did try to get one in the firesale but was unsuccessful. Was quite ****ed off cause ppl where just buying them to make money on them or put Android on them, they didn't even know what WebOS was.... Why you would Android when you could have WebOS is beyond me

OS's in order of awesomeness
    1, WebOS
    2. Windows Phone
    3. iOS
    4. Android
    5, BlackBerry

I remember buying the original Palm Pre not long after it came out from CEX for around 400
    Currently using HP Pre 3

pinoyrepn1124 likes this.
  15.    #15  
    I've just got a Pre 3, anyone know how to use the front facing camera and also what apps should i be downloading???
    Currently using HP Pre 3

Congrats!
    The front facing camera is primarily for Skype video calling.
    First app you should install is Preware!
    There are a lot of great apps... just two of them are Forums and Music Player Remix.
    I've just got a Pre 3, anyone know how to use the front facing camera and also what apps should i be downloading???
    Along with Preware and all the patches and stuff you normally would have (Dr Battery, App Tuckerbox, Save/Restore, Govnah, Internalz Pro, Freetether, etc.) try these:

Send to webOS AKA Datajog... Paid app found in the App Catalog. Huge benefits... Prep maps in your desktop browser, send to phone and they are ready for your trip... See a phone number you need to call when online? Send it to your phone and it is ready in your dialer... Send web addresses ready to open with one tap by your phone's browser... Send contacts, calendar event and notes too...

I'm using it on Pre 2 and Chrome on my PC. It couldn't be easier to do or more simple to set up and operate....

The Google Maps App... Found in Preware. The developer, 72ka, is constantly tweaking and updating it. Beats Bing maps (default) all to heck and back. New Google Maps for WebOS - native javascript API

Gas Buddy to Go... App Catalog... If it doesn't find all the gas prices in my area, I can't tell what is missing... Accurate as heck, never caught it being off.

AP Mobile... App Catalog... Nice customizable front page and an easy, quick news fix.

Accuweather... App Catalog... Works great for me except no alert notifications (free version) that you would get with the paid app

Netstat... Preware install... Tracks your data usage over phone, WiFi and Bluetooth. Resets when your plan month does with easy configuration.

Box.net client... The abesapps version from the App Catalog. A paid app that lets you use Box.com quite easily and painlessly.

These are the ones that, if they disappeared, I would be crying no end over.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Love my Pre3 with my TPad. IMO, the best front-facing cam app is Photo Me.

Depending on your needs there's a bunch of must-have apps, but yes, Preware should be at the top of that list.

Enjoy!
    I love the phone and the community but knowing the hardware is not going to have any warranty and the fact that each day it gets older I start to realize there will be fewer and fewer new things happening with apps, etc., I can't say I would but a new one now if I didn't already have.

If you have a Bluetooth issue with your car for instance there is no support. If you want a new battery there are no deals. These things will become more and more frustrating as time goes by I fear.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    I love the phone and the community but knowing the hardware is not going to have any warranty and the fact that each day it gets older I start to realize there will be fewer and fewer new things happening with apps, etc., I can't say I would but a new one now if I didn't already have.

If you have a Bluetooth issue with your car for instance there is no support. If you want a new battery there are no deals. These things will become more and more frustrating as time goes by I fear.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    battery problem isnt an issue atm, palm euro store still has or had them and mugen provide vanilla/slightly beefier ones (no way id sacrifice touchstone for the biggest battery tho), i aquired a spare battery not long ago just incase.

Everything gets older tbh, doesnt make them obsolete or useless, fair one if your an app addict but dont forget, old(er) or not, its a phone, and even when it was abandoned 1 day after launch in europe etc, it still makes/recieves phone calls and will continue to do so, its not bad for what it is, certainly isnt bad, far from it.
    RumoredNow likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast