Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Apologies if this is a FAQ, but most of the discussions I can find on Open Source WebOS relate to porting it onto non HP/Palm hardware, or on the TP.

Now that used Pre prices have dropped to the "unwanted" level I'm thinking of getting one again as a second phone and nostalgic plaything.

What I would like to know is people's opinions as to whether there is any chance of upgrading existing hardware like the Pre3 to the new OS (if.when it is released), or is it forever stuck with 2.2.4? Are any of the devs or WebOS Internals looking to do this, or is it a non-starter?

Would a Pre3 be worth hanging onto for geek value, just in case?
    Sure, hang onto it. Although official plans only mention the tablet, people for sure will try to extend it to phones.
    kataran likes this.
    I would hope that the Pre3 would be one of the first pieces of hardware that open webOS would show up on.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    I would hope that the Pre3 would be one of the first pieces of hardware that open webOS would show up on.
    Agreed.
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Me too
    Excuse me but if the phone keeps wanting to shut down or reboot on its own is that something we need to be concerned about or is a sign of failure. I understand some of this behaviour is Tower related or modem firmware related. If new software cant fix these problems then really , what is it going to matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by pepebuho View Post
    Me too
    The Problem with the Pre3 and Open webOS, first Open webOS is based on the linux kernel 3.3. The Pre3 is based on linux kernel 2.6.32, unless hp/palm releases a doctor for the pre3, seem webosinternals will only build kernels for the device once the kernel and patch show up on open palm's web site. So unless you get some magic from HP/Palm no kernel for Pre3.

FYI I have asked if any one can take the palm pre2 kernel webOS 2.2.4 and compile it for the preplus, it has been asked to take the pre/pre2 webOS 2.1.0 and compile it for pixi, and webOS 2.2.3/2.2.4 for the veer. Nobody has taken those on. I assume the same for the Pre3.
    I remember when angry birds got pulled from webos 1.4.5 on the Plus. Too many performance issues to continue. I would expect those same issues are there with webos 2.0 on a 500mhz processor. Maybe good for the kids but I wouldnt want it.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Would the Pre2 stand a chance of getting the openwebOS update? I just got it, and I'd be disappointed if 2.2.4 is the LAST update it will ever get... such a good wasted OS
    Samsung Slyde/Rant -> BlackBerry Bold 9700 -> Palm Pre2

I love my Palm Pre2 )))
    kataran and xandros9 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead777 View Post
    I remember when angry birds got pulled from webos 1.4.5 on the Plus. Too many performance issues to continue. I would expect those same issues are there with webos 2.0 on a 500mhz processor. Maybe good for the kids but I wouldnt want it.
    But that's not a problem for the Pre 3 as the Pre 3 has 1,4 GHz processor (with the possibility to overclock w/o affecting battery life) so OpenWebOS would run good on it.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Excuse me but if the phone keeps wanting to shut down or reboot on its own is that something we need to be concerned about or is a sign of failure. I understand some of this behaviour is Tower related or modem firmware related. If new software cant fix these problems then really , what is it going to matter?
    ???

I have 2 pre3s and neither has spontaneous reboot or shutdown issues.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    The Problem with the Pre3 and Open webOS, first Open webOS is based on the linux kernel 3.3. The Pre3 is based on linux kernel 2.6.32, unless hp/palm releases a doctor for the pre3, seem webosinternals will only build kernels for the device once the kernel and patch show up on open palm's web site. So unless you get some magic from HP/Palm no kernel for Pre3.
    The kernel sources are available, the patches to the kernel are available (due to the GPL). The only possible problem are modules and the only ones the Pre 3 seems to be using are ar6000, ramzcompress and xvmalloc where only the first one seems to be non-trivial.

Besides, as Open webOS is supposed to be open you will certainly be able to patch out everything that uses 3.3 stuff (though I highly doubt that there will be a lot of that, the kernel doesn't change that much in time).

It's just interesting if it will be a phone and/or tablet OS, I don't know if there was any specific information on that.

Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    FYI I have asked if any one can take the palm pre2 kernel webOS 2.2.4 and compile it for the preplus, it has been asked to take the pre/pre2 webOS 2.1.0 and compile it for pixi, and webOS 2.2.3/2.2.4 for the veer. Nobody has taken those on. I assume the same for the Pre3.
    You should just try it yourself, kernel compilation is not witchcraft (and in fact quite straightforward if you have a kernel configuration given).
    Quote Originally Posted by filmor_ View Post
    You should just try it yourself, kernel compilation is not witchcraft (and in fact quite straightforward if you have a kernel configuration given).
    Clarke's Three Laws are three "laws" of prediction formulated by the British writer and scientist Arthur C. Clarke. They are:

1) When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
    2) The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
    3) Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

I'm just sayin'. For some of us it IS hoodoo.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Vistaus likes this.
    Are you sure you aren't simply sitting on the power button? This happens to me when it's in my pocket sometimes :P
    Vistaus and xandros9 like this.
    Would an original palm pre- be getting the open webOS update? Or is it a lost cause?
    "The best way to get something done is to begin" ~ Author Unknown
    I most certainly believe that open source will be running on mostly all current palm and hp products.....including your clock radio.....dreams do sometimes come true

that said I want it on my hardware please
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    RumoredNow likes this.
    I think it'll be for both the Pre 3 and the TP and possibly the Veer, with the community picking it up for the Pre 2 (and the Veer when HP lets it down). I suspect everything <Pre 2 a dead cause. webOS 2.x doesn't even run like it should on those devices.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    I've got to concur with Vistaus...

I don't imagine the Open Source project will go back more than one hardware generation... And Homebrew more than two. I grudgingly agree that most hobbyist efforts will focus on porting, not upgrading.

Grudgingly because I feel bad for all those who will be left behind. It amazes me how many are clinging to Pixi + and Pre - models and still getting carriers to replace them. Such device loyalty should be rewarded. Wil it be is another question entirely.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by AwesomePalmPre127 View Post
    Would an original palm pre- be getting the open webOS update? Or is it a lost cause?
    Lost long ago

We don;t know if it will be an outright update, or just tossed out there for hackers and stuff.

Heck, we dont know if its even going to be improved IIRC
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    The webkit base for Open webOS was last merged with the webKit main in February, I think it stands to reason that at least some parts of the platform are going to be hugely improved.

Now that I'm no longer contracting to some people, maybe I'll take some time to setup a Linux VM that can run Isis.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast