Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by filmor_ View Post
    The kernel sources are available, the patches to the kernel are available (due to the GPL). The only possible problem are modules and the only ones the Pre 3 seems to be using are ar6000, ramzcompress and xvmalloc where only the first one seems to be non-trivial.

Besides, as Open webOS is supposed to be open you will certainly be able to patch out everything that uses 3.3 stuff (though I highly doubt that there will be a lot of that, the kernel doesn't change that much in time).

It's just interesting if it will be a phone and/or tablet OS, I don't know if there was any specific information on that.

You should just try it yourself, kernel compilation is not witchcraft (and in fact quite straightforward if you have a kernel configuration given).
    I have compiled a PrePlus webOS 2.2.4 kernel mashed from Pre2 (omap 3630) webOS 2.2.4 bits and PrePlus (omap 3430) webOS 2.1.0 bits. It was not easy as the HP/Palm did not release a webOS 2.2.4 patch for the PrePlus. It is witchcraft when you do not know what the changes HP/Palm changed in the kernel in relation to the different omap processors. I have my PrePlus stable up to 7 days, but it locks/freezes still. The bigger ones there is no official webOS source (patch in your words "if you have a kernel configuration given") for the Pixi or Veer. I can mash Pre2 kernel on a PrePlus, but cross compiling with no source, if it was easy then it would be done.

If you think it is easy please produce a kernel? I will help anyone who tries...
    Well I bought a Pre 3,unlocked it and got Preware installled on it mostly based on the idea that the new Open WebOS would be availible for the Pre3. So should I consider just selling it off while i can still get sone decent money for it?
    Don't see why you would want to do that, you already have a device with webOS on it.... a brilliant device at that.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Jozz likes this.
    My biggest worry there, is "will there be any kind of phone support in open webos?". I mean, hopefully at the very least, we'll maintain our bluetooth abilities, but will the other phone stuff be there? If it is, I would tentatively propose, that once we have a build system that can build a complete Open webOS, that it then be ported to work with the existing kernels that we have. I THINK that would be the easiest way to do it. I have no idea how "easy" that would be, though.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Don't see why you would want to do that, you already have a device with webOS on it.... a brilliant device at that.
    I dont really want to,but im just thinking that if i dont sell it right now while its still popular,that itll end up being junk like the Treo. Idk,i really like the phone,but lack of support will seriously suck.
    Depends on what you want...

Lots of android devices vary on level of support.

Apple sooner or later has to cut support for older models.

The Lumia 9 isn't getting WP8
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by TabascoTX View Post
    I dont really want to,but im just thinking that if i dont sell it right now while its still popular,that itll end up being junk like the Treo. Idk,i really like the phone,but lack of support will seriously suck.
    tbh nothing stays "current", use it till it cant do what you want, then think about whats next, im still using my touchpad more than my android tablet and ipad3, for me the novelty of funky games/other stuff eventually wears off on ios/ics, and what your left with is the OS/core apps you use, and being a linux/ubuntu geek that likes to browse the web here and there and frequent forums the touchpads fine as i have a lot more stuffed into the touchpad than the others can provide.

Tho i suppose i can at least use all 3 if one single one cant do something but the others can, and tbh atm the single only reason i "have" to swap to ios/ics is to use netflix or watch tv on tvcatchup, and erm thats about it tbh, if i could watch tv nativly on the touchpad i could happily shelv the other tablets which woudl be downgraded to the role of a psp/vita for teh odd game.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12