1.    #1  
    Hi all,
    The other day my Mic stopped working on my pre3 (well on a reboot it would work for a minute or so), so I had planned on doing a full backup, doctor then restore. However, as I had literally been working around the clock (yesterday was a 24hr day), I hadn't had time to do it yet.
    When I finally got to bed, I threw my pre3 onto the touchstone and fell unconscious, and when I woke up in the morning, the phone was dead. No way to power on or anything. I tried swapping batteries, ringer x3 booting, plugging in to pc etc, but nothing.
    I had save/restore backing up every night, but hadn't actually backed up that data OFF the phone in ages (months and months). Arrrggghhhh.

If anyone knows if there is a way to recover the data I'd love to know how, but in the I interim I've just bought a new pre3 on ebay (I know a glutton for punishment but I can't bring myself to use any other phone as webOS is sooo good).

So lesson to learn, is to off-device backup when you can, as you never no when your device will just die.

Baldric

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    hopefully someone can let you know what happened so you can sell the broken phone for parts on ebay.
    What happens when you plug the phone in to your PC via USB?
    I've just sent my Pre3 off to the Palm Repair Centre to be looked at - missing it already! I too ordered a 2nd one off of ebay as I don't want any other phone or OS.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
  4.    #4  
    What happens when you plug the phone in to your PC via USB?
    I've just sent my Pre3 off to the Palm Repair Centre to be looked at - missing it already! I too ordered a 2nd one off of ebay as I don't want any other phone or OS.
    It doesn't do anything - no connection sound on the pc, and no life on the pre3.
    Which country do you live in? The pre3 that died (I have other ones that are gsm), is a Verizon cdma pre3, and as it was never officially released, I'm doubting will be able to be sent in and repaired, but I'd love at least to be able to recover the data on it, even if the phone can't be made to work again.

Thanks
    Baldric

try charging for awhile and then see if WOSQI wakes it up
    Have you tried charging it using the USB cable, actually plugging it into the wall, rather than by using the TouchStone?

My understanding is that, once the charge falls below a certain level, it will not charge up using the TouchStone--but MAY using the USB cord. I believe that I read that it has to do with how the charging circuitry works.

Best of luck!
  7.    #7  
    Have you tried charging it using the USB cable, actually plugging it into the wall, rather than by using the TouchStone?

My understanding is that, once the charge falls below a certain level, it will not charge up using the TouchStone--but MAY using the USB cord. I believe that I read that it has to do with how the charging circuitry works.

Best of luck!
    I plugged directly into the wall and pre3 (no touchstone), and let it charge for a couple of hours but still no luck. Also switched batteries with another pre3 and that didn't work (but original battery from dead pre3 worked fine in the other pre3.

Baldric

Quote Originally Posted by treodoc755 View Post

Best of luck!
    They are both wired into the same circuitry. As long as the Pre3 gets 5V and 1A, it should charge.

I believe that the memory board on the Pre3 is swappable. You could probably swap it with another Pre3 and continue on.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by baldric View Post
    It doesn't do anything - no connection sound on the pc, and no life on the pre3.
    Which country do you live in? The pre3 that died (I have other ones that are gsm), is a Verizon cdma pre3, and as it was never officially released, I'm doubting will be able to be sent in and repaired, but I'd love at least to be able to recover the data on it, even if the phone can't be made to work again.
    I'm in the UK so lucky in that my Pre3 is still under warranty and supported by HP UK.
    As far as I'm aware, the pre should still generate an 'Add new hardware' message on your PC even without a battery. So sounds like something has failed inside the unit

I found a new boxed Pre3 on ebay for 200 so ordered that as my 'backup', I'm sure there are more available if you don't mind paying carriage from the UK?
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    shouldn't you be able to access the USB drive?

are you using the same cable with the touchstone and the charger block?
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by baldric View Post
    Hi all,
    The other day my Mic stopped working on my pre3 (well on a reboot it would work for a minute or so), so I had planned on doing a full backup, doctor then restore. However, as I had literally been working around the clock (yesterday was a 24hr day), I hadn't had time to do it yet.
    When I finally got to bed, I threw my pre3 onto the touchstone and fell unconscious, and when I woke up in the morning, the phone was dead. No way to power on or anything. I tried swapping batteries, ringer x3 booting, plugging in to pc etc, but nothing.
    I had save/restore backing up every night, but hadn't actually backed up that data OFF the phone in ages (months and months). Arrrggghhhh.

If anyone knows if there is a way to recover the data I'd love to know how, but in the I interim I've just bought a new pre3 on ebay (I know a glutton for punishment but I can't bring myself to use any other phone as webOS is sooo good).

So lesson to learn, is to off-device backup when you can, as you never no when your device will just die.

Baldric

Might be too simplistic an answer but plug Pre 3 with charger directly and charge. When touchstone doesn't have perfect contact with phone,the phone drains to zero and touchstone is too slow to charge. Re : microphone being a problem, did you use a wired headphone recently? Sometimes on Pre + and Pre 2, the contact with headset jack and plug registers the headset still in even if the headset is removed and so the phone is in speakermode. There are some hints about resetting the jack in this forum. I think I put the plug back in and removed it quickly and the problem was resolved. I think Palm/HP had cheap headset jacks.
  12.    #12  
    Might be too simplistic an answer but plug Pre 3 with charger directly and charge. When touchstone doesn't have perfect contact with phone,the phone drains to zero and touchstone is too slow to charge. Re : microphone being a problem, did you use a wired headphone recently? Sometimes on Pre + and Pre 2, the contact with headset jack and plug registers the headset still in even if the headset is removed and so the phone is in speakermode. There are some hints about resetting the jack in this forum. I think I put the plug back in and removed it quickly and the problem was resolved. I think Palm/HP had cheap headset jacks.
    howdy,
    Yes I tried all of the above but alas no luck.

Baldric