Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    Wasn't sure I was ready to, but I just won an auction on Ebay for a Pre3 for $290! I have been on Sprint for over 15 years, so now it looks like I may have to switch carriers! (Currently on FrankenPre 2)

So all of you in non-Sprint United States - what is your recommendation to get this activated? I plan on using it like my Sprint Pre - navigation, phone calls, internet, games, etc. I live in SW Florida, so 4g isn't really an option.

I appreciate your responses.
    I was an original June, 2009 Sprint Pre user and last October I purchased a Pre 3 and signed up month to month on at&t's 450 minute roll over plan with unliimited text and 2GB of data. I travel a lot for work so I also pay for the optional navigation ($9.95 a month extra) and with taxes everything comes out to $98 dollars a month. Even with using FreeTether for around a month when I was having problems with my home internet and also using Slacker Radio and the Navigation in my car, I have never gone over ,5 GB a month in data useage. I live in SoCal and travel for work in the tri-state area of Cal/Az/Nv and so far the coverage for me has been good and I have been very satisfied with at&t. The faux G works very well for me, much faster than Sprints 3G, it seemed to me with Spints unlimited data plan the network was really getting bogged down so I was glad to switch carriers.

So far I really love using my Pre 3, just an awesome phone IMO, great battery life and no problems with freezing, lagging or reboots. If you don't need the Nav and money is an issue, many people in here have reported being happy with Straight Talk which BTW, uses the at&t network and is much cheaper than at&t. I am sure some Pre 3 owners using Straight Talk can chime in and give you more info on it.
    I'm a Pre 2 owner...

Straight Talk, bring your own phone plan, Unlimited everything (talk, text, data, 411) @ $45/month is a solid deal.

Take the savings and invest in NDrive (it's in the Beta feed) and purchase their maps to solve your navigation concerns...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  4.    #4  
    How do I get in touch with Straight Talk - web site?
    Or is there a Mall kiosk?!?
    Wow, you really do pay through the nose over there don't you? I didn't realise it was quite that bad if you supply your own phone.

Over here in the UK I pay 10 a month (pay as you go, no phone, no contract) for unlimited data and text with 250 minutes (GiffGaff with monthly 10 goody bag). I could get something for less but the data would be limited to maybe 1 or 2G and it would be harder to administer (topping up is automatic with GiffGaff). Even my daughter's subsidised android thing on contract is only 20 a month (includes 1G data).
    There's been some long discussions done on Straight Talk already. Just search for it....it's somewhere.

Also, Straight Talk discussion in general (not just for Pre 3).
    Straight Talk to Allow Any GSM Phone on the $45 Unlimited Plan - Slickdeals.net

Like H2O, it appears that with more popularity, the worse service. Data usage is the particular area all MVNOs either come down on you hard or if they advertise as "unlimited", eventually they'll change their policy on you to a limited plan. So do your homework before switching to them.
    45 a month for unlimited everything sounds fishy imo , but it would be awesome !!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    There's been some long discussions done on Straight Talk already. Just search for it....it's somewhere.

Also, Straight Talk discussion in general (not just for Pre 3).
    Straight Talk to Allow Any GSM Phone on the $45 Unlimited Plan - Slickdeals.net

Like H2O, it appears that with more popularity, the worse service. Data usage is the particular area all MVNOs either come down on you hard or if they advertise as "unlimited", eventually they'll change their policy on you to a limited plan. So do your homework before switching to them.
    Thanks for the link -

In order to purchase the SIM card from Straight Talk, they ask if you want a regular or micro SIM. From what I could read on their site, the micro is for Apple.

They also seemed to have come out with a new program - $60 for a SIM and unlimited data, instead of just $15 for the SIM.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    Wow, you really do pay through the nose over there don't you? I didn't realise it was quite that bad if you supply your own phone.

Over here in the UK I pay 10 a month (pay as you go, no phone, no contract) for unlimited data and text with 250 minutes (GiffGaff with monthly 10 goody bag). I could get something for less but the data would be limited to maybe 1 or 2G and it would be harder to administer (topping up is automatic with GiffGaff). Even my daughter's subsidised android thing on contract is only 20 a month (includes 1G data).
    I guess it's all relative, eh?! Here I was reading the post & wishing I had service that cheap here! (Canada)
    I would like to hear real world testing done. Anyone using ST right now ? How long ? And any issues?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Wasn't sure I was ready to, but I just won an auction on Ebay for a Pre3 for $290! I have been on Sprint for over 15 years, so now it looks like I may have to switch carriers! (Currently on FrankenPre 2)

So all of you in non-Sprint United States - what is your recommendation to get this activated? I plan on using it like my Sprint Pre - navigation, phone calls, internet, games, etc. I live in SW Florida, so 4g isn't really an option.

I appreciate your responses.
    I had the same feeling early on, but have not looked back with my Pre 3. I am now on straight talk with no complaints, except there isn't call by call navigation, I am using bing and have adopted to it when I am not in my vehicle.

I am using the $45 unlimited plan.
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    I would like to hear real world testing done. Anyone using ST right now ? How long ? And any issues?

I used them for about 3 months. No major issues. They use the AT&T network, so coverage is the same.

There is no roaming. IIRC, I did have trouble sending and receiving texts that included a photo.

I think with tax, it is more like $50/month.

The one big gotcha: Rumor has it that if you exceed some threshold data amount, I think daily and monthly?, they will cut off your data. I think people thought it was around 100MB/day or 2GB/month. So, it is not really 'unlimited.'

Ended up putting the phone back on my at&t family plan, because it was actually a little cheaper, and if I exceed the data cap, they just ding me for an extra $10 rather than cutting me off.

Hope that helps.
    Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> Sprint Centro --> Sprint Pre- --> AT&T Veer/ Pre 2/ Pre 3, Touchpad
  13.    #13  
    Thanks - I should be getting my Pre3 next week. I will look at the ATT family plan, since there are three others in my family on our current Sprint plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    I've been using Straight Talk for several months, and I love it. It's faster than Sprint, cheaper, and the call quality is just as good. The initial setup took a little figuring out (I had trouble setting up the APN settings and MMS settings). Once I got past that, it was smooth sailing, and I don't think I'd go back to Sprint or any other contract-based service

Edit: After tax, if you buy a refill "card" from Walmart.com, it's just over $48. Buying a refill direct from Straight Talk seems to be slightly more expensive for some reason.
    RoverNole likes this.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Straight Talk seems a bit shady when it comes to use of data. Some people seem to get outright banned for what don't seem like crazy data use (but it's always hard to tell online!)

I purchased myself a Red Pocket (GoRedPocket.com) sim card and have been VERY happy.

Full ATT coverage (no roaming but where does ATT roam?) Unlimited Talk/Text/MMS and 2GB of 4G unthrottled data for $60/month...

Thus far, I am very very happy with the service.
    I'm ending my second month with ST...

Everything works including the finicky MMS which took me just a bit of effort to configure. Like any "Unlimited" plan they look for abusers and cancel them.

I had a home internet problem this month and tethered a bit more than I normally would have. Netstat has me logged at 979mb over my phone radio with just over a week to go in the plan month. No slow down. I even got a courtesy call asking if everything is working correctly and if I liked the service.

If you pay ahead on their site you save some money. 3 months saves $5 overall... 6 months shaves off $15... and if you buy 12 months service they take off $45.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I've been using the T-Mobile $30 Monthly'4G' plan on my Pre3 since I got it in October. I've generally been pretty happy, but the data is really slow (2G Edge only until T-Mobile changes their network frequencies to be AT&T compatible). The slow data is probably what lets me get by on 30MB per month. I really only use data for e-mail and a map every now and then.

I'm seriously contemplating switching to Straight Talk at the end of the month... it'd be nice to have real data again.
    We've been on ST for 4 months with Veers. Moving from Sprint speed is WAY up!!! Don't pay more then you have too
  19.    #19  
    Does the Pre 3 tether on Straight Talk? Will Freetether still work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Does the Pre 3 tether on Straight Talk? Will Freetether still work?
    I don't know of a reason it wouldn't. I use Freetether on my Pre 2 with Straight Talk...

Mobile Nations Devotee
    pinoyrepn1124 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast