Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I am getting ready to deploy to Afghanistan and I am wondering if I got an unlocked Pre3, could I purchase a local Sim card over there, and be able to call and text back to the States? And email? If so do I need to activate it first in the States? I've been on Sprint my entire smart phone life, so I'm new to the GSM world.
    Treo 650, Sprint Pre-, Sprint FrankenPre2, AT&T Pre3 and Touchpad X 3
    You should unlock it in the US, you have easy internet access. Need downloads and some instructions, so internet is needed.

You can put any gsm sim card inside. At least a 2G connection should work, dont expect edge or 3G in afghanistan.

As far as I know, Roshan is the most reliable gsm network with the best coverage. Probably in such areas more then three services are listening to your cell phone calls.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nichtwirklich View Post
    You should unlock it in the US, you have easy internet access. Need downloads and some instructions, so internet is needed.

You can put any gsm sim card inside. At least a 2G connection should work, dont expect edge or 3G in afghanistan.

As far as I know, Roshan is the most reliable gsm network with the best coverage. Probably in such areas more then three services are listening to your cell phone calls.
    thank you for your answer. And just so I understand, to unlock it here in the US, do I need to get phone service first through one of the carriers like AT&T or can I unlock it just through the internet?
    Unlocking is totally separate from AT&T now. You can do it through online sites or Sanaking on here does it for a more modest price. I recently got a pre 3 and he unlocked it for me. Now I use it on tmobile.

The process is easy to do and doesn't take long.
    I've seen Dogbert's method for unlocking recommended, but I've not used it yet...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfishbein View Post
    Unlocking is totally separate from AT&T now. You can do it through online sites or Sanaking on here does it for a more modest price. I recently got a pre 3 and he unlocked it for me. Now I use it on tmobile.

The process is easy to do and doesn't take long.
    I have just bought an AT&T Pre3 off ebay. It is supposed to come with an unlock code, so that should make it even easier, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor987 View Post
    I have just bought an AT&T Pre3 off ebay. It is supposed to come with an unlock code, so that should make it even easier, right?
    Yup. Shouldn't have to do anything besides enter that code once another sim card besides AT&T is in there on startup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk