Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    So... I just purchased a "New in Box" At&t Pre3 on ebay and there are some strange things going on with it.

- The box wasn't the US At&t box that I've seen in unboxing videos and pictures from this forum. It is the EU style box with the slip cover. However, the instructions/documents inside seem to be the US versions (as far as I can tell). The box has the standard At&t barcode sticker on the side.

- The box wasn't sealed. It had obviously been opened, but everything looks new inside (removable screen protector on the Pre3, etc).

- The Pre3 is a 16GB model and works perfectly with my At&t SIM card. I updated it to 2.2.4 and everything went perfectly. However, there is no At&t logo on it anywhere. In two locations (on the edge next the the screen and on the back above the HP logo) most of the serial number has been laser etched into the phone. I say "most" because it's missing a couple letters in the middle.

- Also on the back is a sticker that gives some details about the phone. It is a two column grid and gives this information:

SKU - ATT1
    Main Board - NA (8255)
    Mirror - Dongming Non Etched
    Reciever Flex - Production
    Keyboard - Magma(Qwerty)
    Pack Out - Bellmo Box
    SIM Card - N/A
    eMMC Bd - 16GB
    Display - Production

Just to check... what does a normal Pre3 serial look like? This one is MDVPN and then some additional letters and numbers. Is there anything else I should look at on this thing? Has anyone ever seen something like this before?

Thanks.
    Last edited by BrianES; 05/15/2012 at 07:42 AM.
    Not sure what you have on your hands. But, my twelve-digit ATT Pre3 S/N is X#XX##XX###X where X equals a letter and # equals a number.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianES View Post
    So... I just purchased a "New in Box" At&t Pre3 on ebay and there are some strange things going on with it.

- The box wasn't the US At&t box that I've seen in unboxing videos and pictures from this forum. It is the EU style box with the slip cover. However, the instructions/documents inside seem to be the US versions (as far as I can tell). The box has the standard At&t barcode sticker on the side.

- The box wasn't sealed. It had obviously been opened, but everything looks new inside (removable screen protector on the Pre3, etc).

- The Pre3 is a 16GB model and works perfectly with my At&t SIM card. I updated it to 2.2.4 and everything went perfectly. However, there is no At&t logo on it anywhere. In two locations (on the edge next the the screen and on the back above the HP logo) most of the serial number has been laser etched into the phone. I say "most" because it's missing a couple letters in the middle.

- Also on the back is a sticker that gives some details about the phone. It is a two column grid and gives this information:

SKU - ATT1
    Main Board - NA (8255)
    Keyboard - Magma(Qwerty)
    Pack Out - Bellmo Box
    SIM Card - N/A
    eMMC Bd - 16GB
    Display - Production

Just to check... what does a normal Pre3 serial look like? This one is MDVPN and then some additional letters and numbers. Is there anything else I should look at on this thing? Has anyone ever seen something like this before?

Thanks.
    You have a development phone - the sticker on the back is the clue. Someone who works (or used to work) here sold you something that should not have been let out of the building!

The partial serial numbers made it easier to keep track of the devices (I occasionally had 2 or 3 of each device in my cube at the same time). There will also be several little lines etched onto the plastic next to the screen, each about 4mm long. These are a fingerprint that would have allowed the Powers That Be to track who was issued the phone and to beat them senseless with the Employee Handbook.

With that all said, if it is working OK, then it should continue to work for you, although development phones often have not been treated particularly nicely.... I have one 'Veer' where the rear barely stays on since I've had to yank the battery so many time!

edc
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent Hewlett-Packard or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own warped point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP and Palm.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by chejlava View Post
    You have a development phone - the sticker on the back is the clue. Someone who works (or used to work) here sold you something that should not have been let out of the building!

The partial serial numbers made it easier to keep track of the devices (I occasionally had 2 or 3 of each device in my cube at the same time). There will also be several little lines etched onto the plastic next to the screen, each about 4mm long. These are a fingerprint that would have allowed the Powers That Be to track who was issued the phone and to beat them senseless with the Employee Handbook.

With that all said, if it is working OK, then it should continue to work for you, although development phones often have not been treated particularly nicely.... I have one 'Veer' where the rear barely stays on since I've had to yank the battery so many time!
    Yup... those small etched lines are there. I didn't mention them in the original post because I thought they might have been accidental. That's very interesting. Would there be any hardware differences between this and the Pre 3s that were meant to be released? I'm assuming by "development" phone you mean they were used by HP employees to develop/test the default software?

It works great and looks like it has never been used. The serials on the phone still had plastic dust in them like they had been freshly etched.

In case it matters... I think the seller on ebay has sold several of these.
    Send your serial number to chej. If the DATA system is still running, he will be able to look up the slimeball selling prototype phones.
    beta testing phone !! Kool ;-) I would keep it . They gave them all away. I wouldn't worry about anyone trying to get it back from you . These phones were used by employees along with devs. And beta testing people out in the real world.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I consider that a collector's item.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    i would not hunt the seller as long as the device works.
    The more device we have these days, the better.
    gderoiste likes this.
    Hah! I just received my first eBay AT&T Pre 3 in the mail today, and found the same exact things as you.

Glad I'm not the only one.
    Sounds like it is a PVT model (or very very late DVT).

Hardware should be pretty much identical to production (sans carrier branding, plus prototype markings). It is probably from around August or September. I used one around June or so.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarner View Post
    Send your serial number to chej. If the DATA system is still running, he will be able to look up the slimeball selling prototype phones.
    Technically they aren't even supposed to sell the AT&T phones and Verizon phones from the employee sale... :S
    Did you know:

Pics would help
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    PrPrPr $3$ $4G$ $16GB$ $found$ $on$ $Ebay$ $is$ $extrem$ $rare$ !
    HP Pr 3 2.2.4 AZERTY
    HP Veer 2.1.2 (Deutsch version) QWERTZ
    SFR Data
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianES View Post

SKU - ATT1
    Main Board - NA (8255)
    Keyboard - Magma(Qwerty)
    Pack Out - Bellmo Box
    SIM Card - N/A
    eMMC Bd - 16GB
    Display - Production

Thanks.
    "Bellmo box" seems to indicate that this phone was destined for Bell. Do you know how to check the tokens on the phone?

I'm willing to guess it might even have a Bell customization on it.
    I too just picked one of these up off of ebay. I was a little worried when I saw the serial number etched into the back and along the side. The nicks in the case also concerned me. Any additional info would be great. I intend to head to Straight Talk and pick up a sim card to get this baby fired up.
    Last edited by dcleveng33; 06/10/2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: remove pics
    Quote Originally Posted by dcleveng33 View Post
    I too just picked one of these up off of ebay. I was a little worried when I saw the serial number etched into the back and along the side. The nicks in the case also concerned me. Any additional info would be great. I intend to head to Straight Talk and pick up a sim card to get this baby fired up.
    No need to be concerned. The nicks are just etchings. The only real concern is to see if the device is EVT, DVT, or PVT/Production. You want a DVT or PVT device (EVT is a very early model, PVT is generally production, typically a beta/pilot device).
    Did you know:

Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    No need to be concerned. The nicks are just etchings. The only real concern is to see if the device is EVT, DVT, or PVT/Production. You want a DVT or PVT device (EVT is a very early model, PVT is generally production, typically a beta/pilot device).
    How do I identify the particular model that I have?. Are the 3 letter model codes you mention part of an identifying number on the device? My Pre3 actually has the word 'PROTOTYPE' under the battery. Above that is 'HW: D3' .

The plot thickens!!
    interesting. this should tell HP something. people are going into the scrap heap and paying for something they failed to market/killed.
    I also received a very similar model of a 16GB Hp Pre 3 yesterday, however I am sending it back. The box is just like the EU version. The model itself is black (I believe the AT&T model is dark blue). It has 3 incisions, one above the screen and one on the left and right sides, It also has a pair of branded serial numbers one on the right side, and on the back. There's also an imprint on the back, like if there was once a sticker there, and not to mention the box's serial number does not match the serial numbers on the phone. I have the phone hooked up to my carrier which is Straight Talk (which is compatible with the Pre phones) and wi-fi network, but for some reason I can't download any apps from the App Catalog, I can't update the pre-installed apps, and I can't update the system's HP webOS without each of these tasks ending with error messages and ultimately failing. When I contacted an HP webOS agent and gave the serial number that was on the box, they immediately told me that this version of HP Pre 3 is a UK model and that I need to contact them for help. That was enough for me to want a refund.
    Quote Originally Posted by milkman10 View Post
    interesting. this should tell HP something. people are going into the scrap heap and paying for something they failed to market/killed.
    I agree. After the fire sale that they had last year with the Touch Pad, Veer and even Pre 3 (in the UK), they should know that not only is there an interest in many people, but also there's a base. Since that fire sale there's millions of people who bought these phones and devices. I actually bought a Pre 2 earlier this year, and that was my first voyage into the webOS world, after I experienced how awesome Pre 2 is, as well as webOS I immediately set my sights out for the Pre 3. I would like to see webOS survive regardless what happens to HP's devices, I would certainly like them to still stay in the game, similar to Google's android. The Nexxus is Google's official phone, but you can also get the android experience on other phones. Perhaps in the future HP under their new President will regroup and release a Pre 4, Touch Pad 2 and perhaps even a Veer 2. Here's hoping that's the case.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast