Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MDsmartphone
  1.    #1  
    Hi All

Well, after trying a VZN Pre 3 for a few weeks, I'm putting it on ice, and going back to my Pre 2 for now.
    I found the "thermal runaway" when charging on Touchstone was a real problem, so I got the Mugen 2800mAh. Worked great for 2 weeks (could charge it by plugging it in every second day), but then that situation deteriorated too. I have been charging twice a day.
    Then there's the weird behavior with the Phone app, dropping Bluetooth connections, Skype problems, huge delays in receiving SMS messages, having to reboot the device every day or two...
    Nothing we have not seen with Pre3 predecessors, but with such a small community, I don't think these issues will be improved upon with new builds, patches, etc.

I need to be able to rely on my "personal communicator", and I have not been able to do so with this phone.

So, I'll be going back to my Pre2 for a while, hope that a decent hardware manufacturer picks up Open WebOS in September, and (sigh) maybe start looking at newer LTE Ice Cream Sandwich phones later in the year.

Let's all hear it for Leo... yay... <<staff edit>>! This stuff is so close to being great...

russ
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/03/2012 at 10:43 PM. Reason: language violation
    This is why I didn't try a vzw pre3. No fixes for bugs that persist in webOS and worse yet no one to report the bugs to where atleast there would some hope for a fix in a later version...now the whole webOS as we know it has been abandoned by the creators of the OS...instead of sticking it out with the pre2 that I had and dealing with some of the same bugs on a pre3 that I have read about I chose to go Android.

I still carry my pre 2 and would have absolutely loved to get a supported pre3 on vzw but Leo and the stupid HP guys threw those hopes down the drain.

Android isn't bad. It just isn't webOS.

C-Note likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    This is why I didn't try a vzw pre3. No fixes for bugs that persist in webOS and worse yet no one to report the bugs to where atleast there would some hope for a fix in a later version...now the whole webOS as we know it has been abandoned by the creators of the OS...instead of sticking it out with the pre2 that I had and dealing with some of the same bugs on a pre3 that I have read about I chose to go Android.

I still carry my pre 2 and would have absolutely loved to get a supported pre3 on vzw but Leo and the stupid HP guys threw those hopes down the drain.

Android isn't bad. It just isn't webOS.

Matter of interest - which Android phone(s) and versions of Android have you tried?

I'll probably be waiting till later in the year, but the new Samsung Galaxy S III sounds promising.

russ
    I have used ics on my touchpad- nothing special or groundbreaking.because of the high return rate and issues with build quality and radio issues I opted against the galaxy nexus and chose the Samsung stratosphere because of the keyboard. That was ridiculously slow so I used my upgrade with vzw that I had been holding on to for a vzw pre3 that never was for a Motorola RAZR maxx.

It is an outstanding phone, fast, great quality materials and terrific battery life...not to mention it will get ics soon.

I hope to someday hack open webOS on to it...but who knows where that is headed.

I do love the new phone though.
    my phone started out buggy the first few days, but the problems seemed to have disappeared on my Verizon Pre3.

Granted, the charge cable is annoying & I'm honestly thinking of buying a second/third touchstone (one for the house & car) just to make sure she stays charged.. But the battery lasted pretty long before dying on me the other day.. Now it's dead ofcourse, cause I don't do good at charging on weekends.. but anyways

I am not one that put in a lot of work (overclocking my original pre) or anything like that, and yeah, there were some issues.. but this phone doesn't have any glaring issues to me so far at all.