1.    #1  
    I am wondering if anybody can help with an issue I am having and/or is experiencing the same issue.

I have a 2012 5 series and most of the time it works fine but sometimes there are really long delays between commands I enter from my idrive and when the Pre 3 responds. Also, I can hangup but the car display shows the call is still active and it won't let me initiate a new call from the car. I can make a call from the Pre but then the car Bluetooth does not make the connection for 10 seconds or so. Also sometimes the car does not realize a call is coming through and I then can't answer using the car controls and if I answer from the Pre it won't connect right away but again has the delay.

The last related issue I have is that sometimes the steering wheel controls are out of sync with the dashboard display and either they don't work or I have the issue where the call still shows as active even if I hang up.

Does anyone know if there is a way to determine what the root of the problem is? When I speak to the dealership they of course say my phone is not tested and to be thankful I get any functionality; which is no help. I would love to know if the issue is webOS, the Pre 3, the Bluetooth stack on the device or my car. And again because it is so intermittent it is very frustrating because at times it works flawlessly.

If anyone has a 2012 5 series and has no issues or even a 2012 BMW in general I would like a response even if everything is fine.

Thanks all.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    It could be a device issue... I wish I had a 2012 5 series to test on but I dont.

Your best bet would be getting a device that is "supported" to test on. As you said though, since the problems aren't consistent it would be hard to troubleshoot.

I have a feeling it could be the system itself and not the phone. My main cause of thought for this is the mention of the steering wheel controls being out of sync with the dash display.

I can say I have connected various webOS devices, including my Pre3 to all kinds of BT phone devices without the issues you describe. I also remember some complaints about idrive years ago, I don't know if the same complaints still exist in the current versions.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Oldskool. I think you are probably correct that the issue exists within the car and the best way to test is with other phones. I was just hoping some other members had some first hand experience with a 5 series and a Pre 3 and could confirm the existence of the issue.

PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Yeah, sorry I don't have more for you.

Devices I have connected to successfully include, cheap clarion mechless BT deck (calls and mp3), cheap audiovox BT to headphone/aux (calls and mp3), motorola ROKR stereo headphones (calls and mp3), toothpik BT to FM (mp3, haven't attempted a call with it yet), touchpad (calls and SMS on devices that support SMS).

The clarion and audiovox setups have been used with Sprint Pre, Veer, Pre2, and Pre3. Moto headphones Pre3 only. Toothpik Pre3 and Pre2 (various 2.x versions). Touchpad Veer, Pre2, Pre3 (SMS on Pre2 and Pre3).

Good luck to you!
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Hey, I have a 2011 3 Series with iDrive, and have had similar issues with connecting my pre3 using BT ... Sometimes it takes 2/3 attempts to pair the devices, and sometimes when I hang up a call, the dashboard doesn't end the call, and my pre3 end ups up rebootng itself! However 95% of the time its seems to function ok.
  6.    #6  
    The funny thing is I never have issues getting the Pre to make the initial connection to my car, nor does my Pre reboot but I do have the hang up issue.

Also, it seems worse or more likely to give me problems when I am making and receiving consecutive calls with little to no time between them. It almost never gives me trouble if I have been in the car but not using the phone for a while.

7.    #7  
    I appear to be on an island with this one but for those who care or have the same issue I checked with my BMW dealer and I have the latest software so no fix there. I also doctored my Pre to no avail and recently I have used my wife's iphone and my old Razr and no issues with those so it would appear to be a s/w or possible hardware issue with the Pre. I do not that my car shows a "transferring data" message quite a bit so I am betting it might be an issue related to connectivity.

I have a spare Pre 3 I am keeping as a backup that I could try but that one has not been used yet and I hate to initialize it, although it would sure answer a lot of questions (maybe).

Oh something I thought of, check the BT settings of the Pre3 with your TouchPad(s) on the Pre3 device. Make sure it Auto-Connect is turned off.

The auto-connect to TP messes with the BT setting. IIRC when Pre3 is connected to BT and you try and do anything, the next action is to attempt to connect to TP (even if one isn't available). This used to result in a good 10 to 15 seconds (or more) of no audio while playing audio over BT and sending or receiving an SMS (as an example), wouldn't be surprised if this could mess with your BT.

Adam did a front page "Tip" on it a while back, fixed my issue.
  9.    #9  
    Right now I am back to my Pre 2 (unlocked) and no blue tooth issues at all. I can't check that setting as my sim is in the Pre 2, but I will swap back and try it.

Btw, the radios in the Pre 2 are amazingly better than the Pre 3 (IMO), Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and most importantly cellular are all noticeably better than my Pre 3, but I miss the screen size, keyboard and 4G speeds of my Pre 3. I will always remember the hardware that was never quite "there", despite the superior OS. (sorry didn't mean to hi-jack my own thread).

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Pre2 WiFi radio is definitely better...

Haven't had much of a problem with my cell radio in any of the GSM phones, I do drop data every once in a while, but I can't attribute that to just the Pre3 as it usually happens in the building at work (1st floor of the building), and since I never have the Pre2 w me at the same time it could be signal/service.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    If you're using Govnah to scale back your Pre3 CPU speed to extend battery life, that is one possible culprit. I haven't using my Pre3 in a car, but I have had my BT connection to a Logitech audio adapter become unstable when the Pre3 CPU speed drops too low--like when I'm playing music with the screen off.

I've also heard people report that incoming SMS messages will interrupt a BT connection, though I have not experienced that myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by bart1967 View Post
    I've also heard people report that incoming SMS messages will interrupt a BT connection, though I have not experienced that myself.
    This part is what I described above with the auto-connect option enabled.
  13.    #13  
    So my Pre2 worked almost flawlessly. There was the occasional slight delay but nothing real bad. I decided to try my reserve Pre3 and it is working far better. I am thinking it was likely a h/w issue on the original Pre3 but the new one does have similar issues with delay but on a much more acceptable scale.

Hopefully it keeps working fine.

Cool, good luck!