Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Haha, I'm so proud so just to come up and make a post.

My colleague ( who does not talk to me at all) came and see if he can borrow a charger that can charge his Nexus, and I showed him the TouchStone.

He said "what?"

And I just elegantly put my Pre 3 onto the TouchStone, and smile at him.

He sighed "ah... that's awesome!", and left.

Haha. I feel so proud to be a geek.
    That's hilariously awesome
    funny lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Well well well, we know that Palm/HP dropped the ball on many things.Touchstone is one of the important feature that keep me sticking to the platform.

There is nothing like getting up in the morning and reaching out to the phone.
    People at school are like "what's that?"

Is it a battery?
    Hockey puck?

No, it's a wireless charger!
    "THAT'S SO COOL"
    "Why do we not have this?"

m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Vistaus likes this.
    Even funnier is when they put their phone on it. Pretty good laugh
    should be a title change... after all these years, TouchStone still impresses ME

Love my TS's, can't imagine what it's like to plug things in to charge them. I would be in total shell shock if I had to go back to plugging in my phone or tablet. "Wait I have to get out of bed to get my phone or tablet".... horrible.

One of the girls I work with looked at my desk one day and said "that's a cool stand", then walked away... so used to having the TS, took me 15 minutes to realize what she said to me. I felt dumb for not explaining that it was wirelessly keeping my phone charged (and showing a pretty picture with a clock).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    The Touchstone really was the innovative feature that got me to buy a Pre in the first place when it first came out. Nothing yet comes close for elegance and simplicity...

The really aggravating thing, though, is that HP is still holding the patent for that amazing technology; so the chances of any other hardware manufacturer being able to duplicate it is probably pretty slim. So whatever hardware we end up running WebOS on, we'll probably lose that functionality... which will be a complete bummer!

Here's hoping that HP will license at least the Touchstone to someone else, since they're out of the hardware business. Heck, if I was Apple or Samsung, I'd buy those patents just for that feature alone!
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    Touchstone in the car is one of the nicest most convenient things ever
    sledge007 likes this.
    You can tell your co-workers, "Put yout palm here (point at logo). Do you feel anything yet?"
    renater likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gihmley View Post
    The Touchstone really was the innovative feature that got me to buy a Pre in the first place when it first came out. Nothing yet comes close for elegance and simplicity...

The really aggravating thing, though, is that HP is still holding the patent for that amazing technology; so the chances of any other hardware manufacturer being able to duplicate it is probably pretty slim. So whatever hardware we end up running WebOS on, we'll probably lose that functionality... which will be a complete bummer!

Here's hoping that HP will license at least the Touchstone to someone else, since they're out of the hardware business. Heck, if I was Apple or Samsung, I'd buy those patents just for that feature alone!
    I don't know about the patents, but I suspect they don't prevent to make a similar but different charger.. since a japanese phone maker HAS it made for their new phone.

I've read the article 2 or 3 months ago, I think.. and I'm not sure who the maker is, if sharp or someone else. The phone is one of the various made ONLY for the japanese market, and in the article the guy who presented it claimed to be the FIRST wireless charging device put on the market... ( had a small laugh at that ), moreover he pushed the point of this being a new standard for charging, and more than hinted of having pubs - bars etc having the chargers installed in the near future. He also hinted of using the same charger with cameras and game consoles...

Now, what I remember :

The charger is included in the phone package (and I think the phone do not charge at all if not wirelessly, but I could be wrong on this).
    The charger - phone have NO magnetic link
    The charger is literally brick shaped, and the phone has to be put loosely on the surface, on any position as long as it's in contact with it.
    The phone is useless while in that position on the charger.
    The phone is the usual android, totally waterproof ( their marketing points out it's good to be kept near the sink while washing dishes... lol ), thinner and lighter than the pre3, no keyboard obviously.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    There are number of similar systems on the market (but not currently used in the phone sector) energiser own any number of patents in this area. I recently saw a prototype using wireless charging that is being developed by a certain OEM. I think within a couple of years there will plenty of phones available for people to hack webOs onto that will have inductive charging available.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Well, seems my memory is not totally gone.. it's really sharp who put out the phone

Wireless Charging Smartphone - Sharp Aquos Phone SH-13C - DigInfo TV - Tech News Videos From Japan | The latest technology, products, gadgets and scientific research direct from Tokyo

here you can see some images etc

I've the suspect that the reason they say that the standby drain is higher, is that the phone is constantly having the wireless charging circuit online ( I'm suspecting it's not at all signaling to the charger to start and stop, but that they are both active by default )
    I didn't get a touchstone for my pre till I bought one for my TP.....don't know why but its the coolest most handy device.....and yes people ask about it all the time
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    There are number of similar systems on the market (but not currently used in the phone sector) energiser own any number of patents in this area. I recently saw a prototype using wireless charging that is being developed by a certain OEM. I think within a couple of years there will plenty of phones available for people to hack webOs onto that will have inductive charging available.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Then there is hope for you to be able to charge your Lumia 800 on an inductive charging system in the future!

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm surprised there aren't more phones with this yet...unless you buy external 'cases' that have this feature (not a back, but a case that adds bulk to the phone). Why is that? Why haven't other phones come out with this? If the iPhone had it, you would see SO many phones coming out with it...so is it just awareness (not a lot of webOS phones out there in the public eye when compared to any other OS, and hence other hardware).
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

It's nice for the phone, but for the Touchpad it's a lifesaver. Being able to let my toddler go grab the Touchpad off the charging dock without fear of her breaking a micro USB port or some other connector is wonderful for the longevity of the device.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Various powered toothbrush models have been using inductive (cordless) charging for years also, but it is cool to have that feature for the Pre/Pre2/Pre3 and the Touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by gihmley View Post

That's not entirely true. There's a pretty popular accesoire for Mac called the Magic Charger. It wirelessly charges your Magic Mouse when you put the mouse on it, just like the TS is for our webOS-devices. So while not for phones, it does is essentially the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    That's not entirely true. There's a pretty popular accesoire for Mac called the Magic Charger. It wirelessly charges your Magic Mouse when you put the mouse on it, just like the TS is for our webOS-devices. So while not for phones, it does is essentially the same.
    That's not magnetic induction...that's magic! Maybe they should call it the Hogwarts Magic Charger...it would sell even more I would say!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Vistaus likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast