Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes
    At work, people ask my why the 'stand' is plugged in / has a cord coming from it?
    When I tell them it's the charger they ask "how?" with a very confused look on their face.
    Then I just set the Touchpad on it, and they are amazed.
    Then I hit the button to start exhibition mode and they are even more amazed.

So either the Touchstone is awesome, or I work with very simple people. or both!
    Quote Originally Posted by crazybirdman View Post

So either the Touchstone is awesome, or I work with very simple people. or both!
    Perhaps it's best to say...The Touchstone is simply awesome people!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

crazybirdman and Vistaus like this.
    I've got two (one came with my Pre 3, one new from ebay) and I've not managed to get either one working. *sigh*
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Then there is hope for you to be able to charge your Lumia 800 on an inductive charging system in the future!
    Yep: Nokia Lumia 800 mod enables Touchstone charging - SlashGear
    The trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
    BTW, for those with Galaxy Nexus, there is a hack out there to use Tocuhstone to charge it. Dieter did it and was proudly talking about it in one of the The Verge Mobile Podcast awhile back. See, he never left webOS completely... It's a cool hack.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruso View Post
    I've got two (one came with my Pre 3, one new from ebay) and I've not managed to get either one working. *sigh*
    Are you using Palm AC plug and Palm usb cable? Out of all the touchstones I have used, only came across one factory defect.

Also could be the connections between the TS back on the phone and the phone itself. I have heard of this issue on various devices.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The Samsung galaxy S III has a wireless charging option according to the press release I've just seen - so once the samsung flagship has it, I'd expect it others to offer it PDQ.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The Samsung galaxy S III has a wireless charging option according to the press release I've just seen - so once the samsung flagship has it, I'd expect it others to offer it PDQ.
    Don't know if I would bet on that. Wireless charging has been around in after market form for some time now. Hasn't really caught on to others outside of Palm/HP. Maybe if Apple offered it.....

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Don't know if I would bet on that. Wireless charging has been around in after market form for some time now. Hasn't really caught on to others outside of Palm/HP. Maybe if Apple offered it.....

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    Agreed. Powermat was pushing strong (at least in the US) a couple years back around the holidays and didn't make a splash.

I think the average consumer looks at it as a large investment for what they view as little added value. There is something to be said about having the factory fit and finish of the charger being designed for the phone too.

I too only see it becoming mainstream if apple does it. One of the reasons we had an iPod was for integration into car stereos (long before BT and phones could fill that void).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Are you using Palm AC plug and Palm usb cable? Out of all the touchstones I have used, only came across one factory defect.

Also could be the connections between the TS back on the phone and the phone itself. I have heard of this issue on various devices.
    No, my AC adapter and cable aren't Palm. I suspected this might be an issue, even though these items (two of each, both different makes) charge the phone directly without issues. I'll look into getting some genuine gear before I give up.

I had a look at the rear cover & contacts too; I'm pretty sure everything is in order there.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruso View Post
    No, my AC adapter and cable aren't Palm. I suspected this might be an issue, even though these items (two of each, both different makes) charge the phone directly without issues. I'll look into getting some genuine gear before I give up.

I had a look at the rear cover & contacts too; I'm pretty sure everything is in order there.
    It's the ac adapter 100%... you can most likely use any USB cable that will plug into the TS. The Touchstone requires the USB "quick charge" (that's not the right name for it, I'm tired), basically what this does is put power to the data cables in the usb cord to identify the charger as "quick charge" capable. This then allows the TS to function, this is also why a TS won't function on computer USB ports without a modified cable.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    There are number of similar systems on the market (but not currently used in the phone sector) energiser own any number of patents in this area. I recently saw a prototype using wireless charging that is being developed by a certain OEM. I think within a couple of years there will plenty of phones available for people to hack webOs onto that will have inductive charging available.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Samsung Galaxy III just adopted TouchStone Concept, and can charge with its own version of TS now.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12