webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Too many cards (2.2.4)
Too many cards (2.2.4)
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By p41m3r

Old 04/28/2012, 01:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hey everyone,

I just went from a Verizon Pre 2 to an unlocked AT&T Pre 3. First I'd like to say HOLY HELL this phone is nice! It has such a premium feel and it makes me even sadder about webOS's fate than I already was...

Aaaaanyway, one thing that's different is that I'm getting a too many cards error on my Pre 3 where I NEVER did on the 2. I did a little searching and there seems to be a feeling that Email, Twitter and Browser cards are often open and thought to be the culprit (and perhaps drPodder).

I've always got phnx and drPodder open 24/7 but not browser cards. I also always have Email, Messaging, and Facebook open at all times. That makes five cards...didn't trip up the Pre 2, why would it the Pre 3?

Is there a consensus on this, or perhaps a solution (other than just dealing with it)? Thanks!

-mtmjr90

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
mtmjr90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2012, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

May be you install too much apps and patches. Just Webdoctor it!
truongtuananhhau1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2012, 02:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

That is a common error on the Pre3. Install Uberkernel (even if you dont plan to overclock) and the error will cease to appear.
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Jimbode likes this.
Thanked by mtmjr90, shrxwin
Old 04/28/2012, 03:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
That is a common error on the Pre3. Install Uberkernel (even if you dont plan to overclock) and the error will cease to appear.
Wow, I totally forgot about that! I had Uberkernel on my Pre 2, but dismissed it for my Pre 3 because everything seemed so smooth and snappy out the gate. Just installed it and works like a charm, thanks!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
mtmjr90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2013, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

i'm NOT installing uberkernel. when i previously had it on all three models, it'd make the phones run hot on the TStone. Now both of my stock kernel FrankenPre2s are sitting on TStones again, and they run nice n' cool, so I'll pass on UberK this time around.

THAT SAID, today my phone is doing a "too many cards" thing when i attempt to open any app. Of course I could power it down and probably blow out whatever is causing it.

BUT THIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN AROUND FOR A LOOONG TIME. there must be some other fix. my searches for "too many cards" have not generated any helpful tips other than "reboot".

Is there something that traces memory leaks yet? anything i can look for in a diag mode?

thanks in advance for useful info from those who've researched this!
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2013, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

'top' is a useful tool for seeing what's using a lot of CPU power, and also shows memory usage. Look here: linux - How to see top processes by actual memory usage - Stack Overflow
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: TJs11thPre
Old 01/21/2013, 05:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

is this TOP tool something you can download in preware? or is it something in linux you USB into your phone with?

my phone's been a ******* all day. pausing with 5 seconds left in the songs again, saying there's too many cards when there's none open; bluetooth not pairing right, i have to retry several times.

it makes me think it's time for a redoctoring. it seems like every time i get my phone patched how i want it, i have to start over.

is there some kind of repair program that you can be selective with? or is the only option to redoctor and start from scratch?
Old 01/21/2013, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

It's a command line utility that's shipped with the OS.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2013, 07:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

@TJs11thPre The Uberkernel code is designed to get rid of the too many cards error. Couldn't find a link straight off but it's in these forums.
Jimbode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2013, 08:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
It's a command line utility that's shipped with the OS.
cool. i will try it through the WOSQI and see what happens.

ok, yeah i tried that and it churned out something that looked like SETI alien scanning data. WAY over my head. so instead somehow i'm in the process of removing all patches, removing all installed pkgs, doing a partial erase, and redoctoring to unlocked 2.2.4.

it's so tedious. but i dont know enough to go another way. starting from scratch. again.

Last edited by TJs11thPre; 01/21/2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01/22/2013, 09:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
i'm NOT installing uberkernel. when i previously had it on all three models, it'd make the phones run hot on the TStone. Now both of my stock kernel FrankenPre2s are sitting on TStones again, and they run nice n' cool, so I'll pass on UberK this time around.

THAT SAID, today my phone is doing a "too many cards" thing when i attempt to open any app. Of course I could power it down and probably blow out whatever is causing it.

BUT THIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN AROUND FOR A LOOONG TIME. there must be some other fix. my searches for "too many cards" have not generated any helpful tips other than "reboot".

Is there something that traces memory leaks yet? anything i can look for in a diag mode?

thanks in advance for useful info from those who've researched this!
Uberkernel doesn't make the phone run hot on the charger. Making it work hard by slowing it down too much, or overclocking it too much will. Even still, the touchstone will heat it up regardless, just you need to ensure it doesn't get too hot. For example, I use Mode Switcher to switch my Govnah profile from ondemandtcl 768-1.2 to performance 806. My phone gets warm, but probably nothing more than a few degrees above room temperature. My stock Pixi got hotter than my Pre3 with the above settings.

Also, for the memory issues, I'd either install the system optimization patch, or if you want to tinker, create your own sysctl.conf file. I'd also boost the swap space a touch if you're commandline savy.
bassman97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0