Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By carldc
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I currently have a P2 on VZ. my contract is up, i have no interest in leaving webos, so i am definitely interested in the pre3. what it'd really like to know is if I buy the ATT P3 am I buying a hobbled device or will most of the features work without too much hackery?
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    You'll be getting the real deal. I switched from a Sprint Pixi (after my Pre- broke) to an ATT Pre 3 and haven't looked back! I'm not sure what you mean by hobbled, but to be sure you get 4G, just bring it to an ATT store and they'll set it up for you. Took me less than hour.
    There are quirks with some apps, but I think the benefits far outweigh the question marks.
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Vistaus likes this.
    faux G*
    engadget
    also, any other pre 3 review will work, since the only differences are memory, 4G support, and AT&T branding?
    im not sure, but i think i am correct
    (getting 4G will most likely require a call to AT&T)

clarification: AT&T may need to add the device IMEI (<-or some number like that) to its "allow 4G database", since the ATT Pre3 never was officially released)
    this is from memory though, i think there was an article on the front page about this a while ago
    Last edited by xandros9; 04/29/2012 at 08:10 AM.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I activated my pre 3 on att with no problems or a call to att. Although, it was a new activation with a new account and I went in to one of their stores to do it. If your a preexisting att user a phone call or visit may be necessary

Sent from a Hpre&#178;, HPre&#179;,HPTP 16/32 using Communities.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I have mine on straight talk. My biggest gripe would be battery life. I downloaded a patch for data on and off in the dashboard and I get plenty of standby time now.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dan-o View Post
    I currently have a P2 on VZ. my contract is up, i have no interest in leaving webos, so i am definitely interested in the pre3. what it'd really like to know is if I buy the ATT P3 am I buying a hobbled device or will most of the features work without too much hackery?
    You won't be disappointed. Only thing you will be disappointed about is, why in the hell companies can't get this webOS off the ground. I'd say 90% of the apps for pre2 work on the pre3. As far as a hobbled device, it is not. My pre2 feels weird nowadays after using the pre3 for so long now.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    thx to all who took the time to respond, and especially thanks for answering the question while avoiding the suggestion that I use the search function. Clearly I'm too lazy for that! I will probably take the plunge soon.

and to the guy who upgraded from the Pixi minus... Wow! That was quite an upgrade!

ps.. I love the pixi... All I ever really wanted was a Pixi form factor with up to date specs... Oh well

thx again all!
    Currently the price on the Pre3 for ATT is way up there - at least on ebay.. It seems the price is almost the same as the Verizon pre3 at this point.. I just got a pre3 for 510 - Verizon one.. I already paid 210 for a Pre3 for ATT but the dang screen broke..

I'm going that one on ebay and i'll probably get almost 200 for it lol

Anyway... currently there is 1 pre3 for verizon left on ebay for 550.00.. I would recommend emailing the guy and ofering him 500 for it.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I've seen a few in my area (Colorado springs) craigslist for Verizon at 300.00. You might want to look around before doing the ebay thing. Even here on the marketplace in the forums.

Sent from a Hpre&#178;, HPre&#179;,HPTP 16/32 using Communities.
    I switched a few months ago, from my Sprint Frankenpre. The pre3 is a fantastic device. ATT apps work, and I especially like the way they let you buy day passes for the Navigation app for $3 or so...

Do it.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.