1.    #1  
    my pre3 seems to take several minutes to boot up and the engadget review seemed to confirm that so I know its not just my device. I didn't think it was that long until my brothers experia mini pro managed to boot and load androids notoriously bad FB app before my device finished boot. I was wondering what is causing the long boot, is it pre3 or webOS specific and is there anything that can be done about it (apart from live with it or hope webos1.0 fixes it)
    well for one my pre 3 takes at most a minute tops to boot.. it sure does feel slow but i've never seen it take several minutes. what sort of kernel do you have installed at the moment?
  3.    #3  
    by several I actually meant a couple, I think I have warthog, but stock and uber seemed to take just as long too
    It's webOS in general.

I haven't tested it scientifically, but I suspect that 1) having a lot of apps installed, and/or 2) having a lot of Synergy data (email set to "all", etc) causes it to boot slower, which would explain why people are seeing wildly different boot times.
    It's par for the course, and been like that with all previous webOS devices. I've very rarely had to restart my Pre3, so it isn't that big of a deal for me. If you're changing batteries, you can plug it in, pull the battery, put the new one in, and unplug it, without having to restart.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  6.    #6  
    thanks for the info, especially that last tip, I know it works on laptops but didn't know it worked on webos.
    About two minutes here, but its dependent on apps and patches also. I recall it being less before patching or installs.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    This sucks most upon landing in a foreign country and hoping to make a couple calls and catch up on email before you get to customs. I know 90% of people no longer power-down their phones at take off, but I'm the goody two shoes.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    If you're changing batteries, you can plug it in, pull the battery, put the new one in, and unplug it, without having to restart.
    that doesnt work for me, i just switches off the device.

(assuming you mean plug into charger and then swap batteries like you can on a laptop)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    This sucks most upon landing in a foreign country and hoping to make a couple calls and catch up on email before you get to customs.
    Maybe you can power up sooner - as the aircraft begins to taxi or just before it stops. It will take a few minutes to gather your stuff and exit anyway.
    I know 90% of people no longer power-down their phones at take off, but I'm the goody two shoes.
    I think that is being reconsidered by the authorities, but until they make a change you should continue doing as you do. I wont be comfortable if 90% of the ppl on the craft Im on left their devices on and ppl shouldnt be comfortable doing so either. Besides the obvious (possible interference, however unlikely), the cell and data radios will go into high-power mode searching for a signal. Since there are no signals to be found at 28,000+ feet, the result will be higher drain on the batteries. Then there is the issue of having the radios at high output (think radiation) while in your pockets for hours (think family jewels).
    Quote Originally Posted by jetz
    that doesnt work for me...
    You have to be quick; like within 2-3 seconds.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    Maybe you can power up sooner - as the aircraft begins to taxi or just before it stops. It will take a few minutes to gather your stuff and exit anyway.
    Oh I power up as soon as the tires hit pavement and I can usually get a call in, but, in many destinations, the phone needs to go on silent and disappear as soon as you exit the plane.

Anyway, it would just be nicer if it booted as fast as some other phones.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  12. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Those complaining about long boot times on the Pre have obviously never had a Blackberry!
    Are BB boot times that bad? I have an old gen 1 Torch but I hate those so much that Im unwilling to even test it. I cant imagine the Pre3 taking more than 2.5 min to boot (the one I use took 2:12). The Pre- is a different story: someone once called me for help w/ a question and by the time the thing booted it was time to shut it down and return to the exam. Not long after, it took permanent residence in a top drawer.

Hopefully, this will become less of an issue after September, 2012. Optimized code - maybe even the multi-threading type - should get the OS to reasonable boot times, and later on, even better on current hardware.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    This sucks most upon landing in a foreign country and hoping to make a couple calls and catch up on email before you get to customs. I know 90% of people no longer power-down their phones at take off, but I'm the goody two shoes.
    I don't think you actually have to turn the phone off. When flying, I switch to "Airplane" mode. Then I can play games or read something while I'm stuck in the plane for a couple hours.