webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Pre 3 stuck at boot
Pre 3 stuck at boot
  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04/22/2012, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
allen832008's Avatar
 
Posts: 84
I had an issue with my Verizon Pre 3 shutting down when trying to use the camera app so I doctored last night. Now I'm unable to boot the device. It just shows the HP logo. I've forced a reboot a few times using both the toggle the ringer trick as well as the sym, shift, and r keyboard shortcut. Sometimes I get just the logo and sometimes it glows, but neither leads to the device booting. I am running out of options that I'm aware of and any suggestions are welcomed for fixing my most prized gadget.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
allen832008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2012, 06:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 3
have you tried re-doctoring yet? btw are you using the right doctor (see link below)

WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
mattho88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2012, 08:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
allen832008's Avatar
 
Posts: 84
Quote:
have you tried re-doctoring yet? btw are you using the right doctor (see link below)

WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
Yes. I've doctored several times with no success. With the correct version;-)


-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
allen832008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2012, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by aia832003 View Post
Yes. I've doctored several times with no success. With the correct version;-)


-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Have a Vzw Pre3 (not activated yes) but you might have a partition that needs to be fixed. Look for dosfsck and f s c k issues in linux. (remove the spaces).

If there are issues you can memboot and look at the boot logs...
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2012, 08:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
broncot's Avatar
 
Posts: 930
I have taken this project over, having bought the Pre 3. Novaterm won't connect, no way to know if developer mode is on. I've run the 2.23 and 2.24 Verizon webOS doctors, which complete successfully, but the Pre 3 never boots.
__________________
My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
broncot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2012, 08:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncot View Post
I have taken this project over, having bought the Pre 3. Novaterm won't connect, no way to know if developer mode is on. I've run the 2.23 and 2.24 Verizon webOS doctors, which complete successfully, but the Pre 3 never boots.
I would memboot and check the boot file system, uImage?, then check the rest of the file systems...
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2012, 10:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
broncot's Avatar
 
Posts: 930
I followed the memboot steps on webos internals page, it still won't boot. How can I check the boot file system, uImage and other file systems?
__________________
My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
broncot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2012, 02:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
broncot's Avatar
 
Posts: 930
Problem solved-I went through the steps here:
Pre won't boot up after failed Uberkernel installation
and it worked!
__________________
My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
broncot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 05:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 44
"Funnily" enough, my (UK) Pre3 got stuck at boot too this afternoon. HP's support site denies that my serial number exists (it certainly does) but thanks to WebOS Internals I was able to lay my hands on both a 2.2.0 and 2.2.4 doctor package. I can memboot it. I can run novaterm and mount all the /dev/mapper/store-* filesystems. Unfortunately I cannot successfully run either doctor nor can I repair the corrupt store-media filesystem. I get I/O errors. It seems to me my Pre3 has died of flash memory fatigue (just like my old Palm T|X did).
Sad face. What do I do now? Decide which Android phone tobuy, I suppose.
elvispre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 06:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvispre View Post
"Funnily" enough, my (UK) Pre3 got stuck at boot too this afternoon. HP's support site denies that my serial number exists (it certainly does) but thanks to WebOS Internals I was able to lay my hands on both a 2.2.0 and 2.2.4 doctor package. I can memboot it. I can run novaterm and mount all the /dev/mapper/store-* filesystems. Unfortunately I cannot successfully run either doctor nor can I repair the corrupt store-media filesystem. I get I/O errors. It seems to me my Pre3 has died of flash memory fatigue (just like my old Palm T|X did).
Sad face. What do I do now? Decide which Android phone tobuy, I suppose.
Have you tried formatting the media partition? Also, you can dd to /dev/null and see if it can read all parts of the media partition.
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 06:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Have you tried formatting the media partition? Also, you can dd to /dev/null and see if it can read all parts of the media partition.
I believe I have tried formatting the media partition, yes. mkdosfs reported success instantly but I am far from convinced it did anything because the subsequent fscks reported problems with files that ought not to have been there any more.

Perhaps I shall try again in the morning, and that dd idea is a good one.

I am not optimistic, but thank you for the suggestions.

Last edited by elvispre; 12/19/2012 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Incorrect recollection of mkdosfs command name
elvispre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 07:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 44
dd if=store-media of=/dev/null

results in

dd: store-media: Input/output error

I think that's bad, isn't it?
elvispre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 07:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
Try with /dev/mmcblk0p9. IIRC that should be the LVM section of the flash. You might also try opening another shell and watch dmesg.
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/20/2012, 01:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Try with /dev/mmcblk0p9. IIRC that should be the LVM section of the flash. You might also try opening another shell and watch dmesg.
Interesting. Actually, it seems to be /dev/mmcblk0p15 that's killing me. I ran dd to /dev/null on all of them, but only that one results in I/O error. dmesg goes berserk:

[131657.711242] Buffer I/O error on device mmcblk0p15, logical block 147163
[131657.711242] Buffer I/O error on device mmcblk0p15, logical block 147163
[131657.723052] mmcblk0: error -110 setting mmc block length
[131657.711242] Buffer I/O error on device mmcblk0p15, logical block 147163
[131657.723052] mmcblk0: error -110 setting mmc block length
[131657.723358] mmcblk0: card status 0x400b00
[131657.711242] Buffer I/O error on device mmcblk0p15, logical block 147163
[131657.723052] mmcblk0: error -110 setting mmc block length
[131657.723358] mmcblk0: card status 0x400b00

etc...
elvispre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/20/2012, 03:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
I can't remember what all the partition numbers are, and ASCIIbetical order made me miss partitions higher than 9. Yeah, that's probably the LVM partition. Is it that same logical block all the way across?
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/20/2012, 04:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
I can't remember what all the partition numbers are, and ASCIIbetical order made me miss partitions higher than 9. Yeah, that's probably the LVM partition. Is it that same logical block all the way across?
No, there were higher numbers as well. There were pages and pages of that.
elvispre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0