Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    It seems slider of Pre 3 cut the volume flex cable (ribbon) to half. It is the same cable which is connected to 3,5m headphones plug.

I have noticed in the forum that many users had same problem and that this is old issue from Pre 2 too.

Flex cable is glued to the main board by conductive golden tape and this one gets loose after certain time and slider catches it and slice the ribbon.

Does anybody knows where to get one or if someone have a new spare or one from broken Pre 3.
    Part number is 171-10574-00 Rev A followed by this markings HMSF 2311 5052A
    Sorry for the issue ( and it makes me a bit afraid.... )

By the pics, the cut is not evident... chances of showing it ?
    Now the maybe useful question - brainstorm...

There are people collecting old computers, and part of those tend to have issues or building defects. One of these is the Olivetti quaderno, a very small book sized notebook that had the video flex cable easy to break by opening - closing...

There are people online, discussing methods to fix it. If that can be done, I wonder if this more simpler cable can be fixed, too... patching it up
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    Sorry for the issue ( and it makes me a bit afraid.... )

By the pics, the cut is not evident... chances of showing it ?
    Now the maybe useful question - brainstorm...

There are people collecting old computers, and part of those tend to have issues or building defects. One of these is the Olivetti quaderno, a very small book sized notebook that had the video flex cable easy to break by opening - closing...

There are people online, discussing methods to fix it. If that can be done, I wonder if this more simpler cable can be fixed, too... patching it up
    Those are pictures of new flex cable. The one which was damaged by slider was literaly cut and smashed. I have noticed that slider had some issues (could not be opened so easy as before) a few times, than all went as usual, but after I have tried to play music nothing came out from the speaker ....

Here are photos of actual broken one

This one could be fixed with a lot of patience and time, but I doubt it is worth it to do. I guess there should be tons of those spare cables in repair center.
    Thanks for the pic.

Agreed ( repair center or alternatively the makers in china ), the only issue is sourcing them.
    Do you think that this problem will affect each pre3 unit ? (you said that the pre2 had something similar.. but was it limited to some batches ?)
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    Thanks for the pic.

Agreed ( repair center or alternatively the makers in china ), the only issue is sourcing them.
    Do you think that this problem will affect each pre3 unit ? (you said that the pre2 had something similar.. but was it limited to some batches ?)
    From what I have read in this forum, it seems that this problem affect only some users of Pre 3, I really have no idea how this tape can get loose, so the flex is than caught by slider and damaged.

I have scanned my broken flex cable and I plan to draw the PCB if my time will allow. I plan to make a new flex cable (compatibile one), for the moment only flex cable (PCB). I am trying to find those buttons, I hope they are generic ones, not only for HP made ones. It would be easy to plant new buttons and solder them than to desolder old ones and resolder them again, as they are plastic they can melt if not handeled properly.
    A developer and fellow forum member had his volume rocker fail, but still has other functions. Kicking around the idea that his ribbon is partially broken. At this point he hasn't taken the device apart.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    A developer and fellow forum member had his volume rocker fail, but still has other functions. Kicking around the idea that his ribbon is partially broken. At this point he hasn't taken the device apart.
    This is a similar problem to what I had. The volume rocker would not lower the volume, but you could turn the volume up, I also noticed that the slider had some more resistance. I sent it back to Palm euro and they exchanged it for a new unit. I sold it on ebay as I was concerned it may happen again out of warranty.
    Mine has this issue too. I haven't opened it up to see if it's sliced up or merely dislodged though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso22 View Post
    This is a similar problem to what I had. The volume rocker would not lower the volume, but you could turn the volume up, I also noticed that the slider had some more resistance. I sent it back to Palm euro and they exchanged it for a new unit. I sold it on ebay as I was concerned it may happen again out of warranty.
    None of us have warranties on this side of the pond. =/
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    None of us have warranties on this side of the pond. =/
    To be honest, I didn't expect that the euro- store would entertain my claim. I just emailed saying I had a problem and they sent a RMA number. I dont know if they even checked the faulty unit as they sent a new one in 2 days.
  11.    #11  
    I am drawing cable right now. Tomorrow I will try to see how this could be made in to real flex. We did similar items in the past, but that were volume orders. Repair service in UK quoted this kind of repair for at least 45 British pound what is quite a lot.
    If the PCB company will be able to make just a few of them (10 or 20) with reasonable price I will go for it. Volume buttons can be desoldered very easy, and also the rest of parts. Soldering back is also very easy.
    I will keep you all updated on the progress.
  12.    #12  
    It started the same with my unit. I guess it is not so common mistake, but it happen from time to time.
  13.    #13  
    To be honest, I didn't expect that the euro- store would entertain my claim. I just emailed saying I had a problem and they sent a RMA number. I dont know if they even checked the faulty unit as they sent a new one in 2 days.
    They probably have a lot of units just for RMA considering the price for which they were sold and they probably got them even cheaper and HP in Europe must honor the 2 years of warranty so probably HP Europe have a lot of those sitting in some warehouse too.
    2 year warranty in EU? We only get 1 year on the items warranted from HP.
    reminds me of the Zire 71 slider cable's eventual breakage. (Palm PDA with a sliding back.)
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Damnit! My replacement Pre3 has just guillotined its volume cable. Did anyone ever find a source of replacement cables/switch assemblies ? It should be easy enough to pop in if I can get one.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    when I see a dead one on ebay I'm pulling the trigger..
    of course I threw one that wasn't broken away, so I wouldn't follow my advice!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumy View Post
    I am drawing cable right now. Tomorrow I will try to see how this could be made in to real flex. We did similar items in the past, but that were volume orders. Repair service in UK quoted this kind of repair for at least 45 British pound what is quite a lot.
    If the PCB company will be able to make just a few of them (10 or 20) with reasonable price I will go for it. Volume buttons can be desoldered very easy, and also the rest of parts. Soldering back is also very easy.
    I will keep you all updated on the progress.
    Hi Sumy, your post is about 2 years old.
    Did you manage to build a flex cable for the pre3 for a reasonable price? How did it work out? Is it working for you?
    --
    One of my Pre3 has this cable issue too - and at this time I no longer use that device. I'd like to repair it.

Regards, Martin
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    Hi Sumy, your post is about 2 years old.
    Did you manage to build a flex cable for the pre3 for a reasonable price? How did it work out? Is it working for you?
    --
    One of my Pre3 has this cable issue too - and at this time I no longer use that device. I'd like to repair it.

Regards, Martin
    I did the PCB drawing, found the volume buttons, but at the the end the price to make them all was too high (the required qty was too large like 500 or 1K pcs).
    I managed to get a few original flexes with metalic sticker on it at that time, but now all are gone.
    I can ask arround if somebody still have them (my friend who supplied them at that time no longer works for HP/Palm contracted repair center), they were quite cheap and they got a lot of them. If I remember right price was less than 5 US$, compared to official replacement service which price was quite high (30-40 US$) but I guess they charged for service much more than for parts.
    I might have one Pre 3 dissasembled with flex cable still intact, not remember now exactly (I will look in to this next week). If I have it I can give it for free.
    Hello, yesterday cracked something when sliding the keyboard and now the volume buttons doesn't work
    I have the Pre 3 as a daily driver, I can't imagine to change it... do you still have any possibilities to get the new flex cable?
    I have at home one Pre3 for parts, I'll check its flex cable, but I'm affraid that its life is ending soon also.
    Microsoft Lumia 535, the Google Maps, Maps, wInNeR, Gas&Oil, HERE maps for webOS development
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast