Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Let's face it, the touchstone doesn't fit the Pre3 particularly well.

But why do we need to settle for what exists? Why not take the guts of the TS, and put them in a custom enclosure? It wouldn't be that hard, we just need the enclosure.

We should make a 3D model of the Pre3, and model a touchstone shell that would fit perfectly to its back. Send that to a 3D printing/prototyping company, have them make a few, and put the guts of the existing touchstone into the new shell.

It'd be a touchstone that fits the Pre3 perfectly, like our very own TouchStone2, sans audio. And we could make it whatever shape or form factor that we want. Rapid prototyping has come a long way.
    dadueler likes this.
    Really good idea, though I can't imagine it would be cheap! Touchstones are going for very cheap prices on eBay these days.
    webOS user since 20090606.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Really good idea, though I can't imagine it would be cheap! Touchstones are going for very cheap prices on eBay these days.
    You'd be surprised at how inexpensive rapid prototyping has gotten! Sites like ShapeWays have some really good options.

Also, maybe we could get something going on kickstarter to fund a batch of these things.

But it's all 100% possible, unlike the .01% chance of owning a TouchStone2 Audio Dock.
    Last edited by quiestbml; 04/18/2012 at 10:40 AM.
    Just curious, since I dont own a Pre 3, how does the Pre 3 not fit on the Touchstone?
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
  5.    #5  
    Also, using shapeways, building the enclosure out of black plastic would cost roughly 5 dollars per touchstone. Then it'd just be sanded gently to a smooth surface, and a soft-plastic sticker or something would be cut to cover the sitting surface to prevent scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Just curious, since I dont own a Pre 3, how does the Pre 3 not fit on the Touchstone?
    Because the Pre3 was intended to have its own touchstone, they didn't fit the back of the Pre3 to the existing touchstone. As such, it falls off very easily as it doesn't have a good lock.
    If your gonna do all that, build me the Touchstone 2 and I am in.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    If your gonna do all that, build me the Touchstone 2 and I am in.
    That would require reverse engineering which would probably mean breaking the HP copyright and it can be easy, hard or almost impossible, it all depends on the chip (CPU) which is used in the Touchstone 2.
    Old touchstone is pretty simple using Microchip 18F2431 (PIC18F2431) and some other simple components ... and information from this CPU can be read out.

If anybody have photos of HP Touchstone 2 Audio Dock PCB or even CPU markings are good for start.

As there was a recent review of it http://www.webosnation.com/review-hp...e-2-audio-dock from Derek and he probably owe beast and there was another comment from one user who also got one, those photos or CPU markings would be quite easy to obtain.
    Last edited by Sumy; 04/18/2012 at 04:13 PM.
    Similar technology is also in the TP TS (not the BT part, but the A6 communication part, which technically could be used to launch BT in exhibition.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  9.    #9  
    I mean we *could* build a TouchStone 2, or we could just use a separate bluetooth audio device with a custom-redesigned touchstone shell that holds the Pre3 properly
    This would be cool! Even though I don't have a pre3.
    "The best way to get something done is to begin" ~ Author Unknown
    I'd definitely be very interested in a Touchstone that fit the Pre 3. Having audio capability is not important to me--but having a charger that my Pre 3 didn't slide down would be great!

Instead of gutting an original Touchstone, maybe the fabricated model could fit around it--maybe the model would have a hole in the center of the portion where the Pre 3 rests on it, but the new shape of the "Touchstone 2" still fits the contours of the Pre 3.

Just a thought...
    dadueler and renater like this.
    @ AwesomePalmPre127 ^^^ Dude. I want a black based theme with your avvie for wallpaper.

And tricked out icons, of course.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    well im signed in so...................... RIP THE RING OFF THE TOUCHSTONE. WORKS GREAT! WORKS GREAT IN CAR AND IN OFFICE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead777 View Post
    well im signed in so...................... RIP THE RING OFF THE TOUCHSTONE. WORKS GREAT! WORKS GREAT IN CAR AND IN OFFICE.
    I tried that and noticed that my battery would charge and drain really fast... is it just me or have other people seen the same thing?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead777 View Post
    IT MIGHT MAKE IT A BIT BETTER BUT IT DOES NOT MAKE IT ANYWHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS A FIT AS THE ORIGINAL PRE SITTING ON THE TOUCHSTONE. THE RING IS NOT THE PROBLEM, THE CURVATURE OF THE SURFACE IS.

Now turn off your damned caps lock. Thanks.
    kryptonite_2448 likes this.
    I have old Palm touchstone dismanteled here.
    It would be easy to make a new mould curved to the HP Pre 3 back.
    Than the old touchstone coil, magnet and all parts would be mounted inside.
    The new mould can be made so that the bottom part would stay the same as making tools for plastic moulding costs a lot of money.
    Drawing a new part and making a prototype without making a real tool for plastic moulding would be possibile.
    Than all parts should be mounted inside and the device tested on Pre 3 too see if it would work.

But than there would be no bluetooth function.
    Am I the only one who doesnt really have an issue with the Pre 3 on Touchstone?

I have one in my car and one at home. I have put extra magnets in the one in my car (although, to be honest it didn't ever fall off without them, just wobbled slighty) but the one at home is totally standard and I've never had the Pre 3 slide off, fall off, jump off or do a little dance.

It seems fine to me. Saying that, I do like the idea of one made to fit the Pre 3 perfectly. I'd only bother with it for car use though, just so I don't have to have external magnets.

So I guess, generally, I'm saying the Pre 3 on original Touchstone isn't that bad, but also, I'm in!
    Last edited by billyboy; 04/19/2012 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Typo
    I've also never had an issue with my Pre3 on its touchstone, although I only use it to charge at home and I've never owned an earlier Pre model to compare it to.

Even so, I'd love the option to use my spare touchstone in the car and an 'adaptor' to fit over it would be brilliant!
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    can someone post instructions for safely taking a touchstone apart? I've got the ring and back off, but removing the contents looks like an invitation to break something important.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quiestbml View Post
    Let's face it, the touchstone doesn't fit the Pre3 particularly well.

But why do we need to settle for what exists? Why not take the guts of the TS, and put them in a custom enclosure? It wouldn't be that hard, we just need the enclosure.

We should make a 3D model of the Pre3, and model a touchstone shell that would fit perfectly to its back. Send that to a 3D printing/prototyping company, have them make a few, and put the guts of the existing touchstone into the new shell.

It'd be a touchstone that fits the Pre3 perfectly, like our very own TouchStone2, sans audio. And we could make it whatever shape or form factor that we want. Rapid prototyping has come a long way.
    I'd pay for that! I'd probably buy a few, since I have a few Touchstones. Though I would only dismantle one at first until I was sure it worked. I'd pay more than $5 too. The only problem is I'm not able to give up my phone long enough for someone to make the mold from it. Who's willing to do that?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast