Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Started using a Treo 650 back in 2005, been with Palm ever since.
    My Treo 680 lasted until now, and to be honest I LOVE that phone, but its at the point where a few keys are not working anymore.

So I thought I would step into 2012 (ok well 2011 anyhow) and get an HP Pre 3, expecting it to have all the awesomeness of the Treo and then some, especially seeing the great reviews. I LOVE the Cards system and WANT to really like the whole phone, but certain aspects are freakin' REMEDIAL unless I am missing something.

In other words, the documentation is not very good so I thought I would place it here to see if anyone out there has answers to the current battles regarding aspects of my old Treo 680 which I used All The Time, and which I was hoping to clearly see implemented on the Pre 3 but which I am finding lacking....

1) COLOR CODED CALENDAR CATEGORIES
    Calendar entries with different colors for different Categories of calendar entry. For example, "Critical Attention" was in RED on my Treo, while "Appointments" were in LIGHT BLUE, and "Special Events & Holidays" were in YELLOW, etc. I had about 8 categories and needed that instant visual assessment to know what needed my focus and at what priority level - i.e. if my day got stuffed up I could look at the calendar and see the RED items to make sure those got completed first, etc.

2) TEXT IN THE PHONE FIELD
    Getting TEXT into a Phone Number field. Straight up, I have contacts with 5 or 6 phone numbers, and really don't want a lot of extra scrolling to go through each number as a completely separate contact entry since they are all in the Same Building / Company. On the Treo it was EASY to simply write "Tech Support" next to one number (or do a carriage-return so it appeared directly below that number), "Human Resources" next to / below another number, "Sales Dept" next to another number, etc.
    Again, I NEED that level of Functionality, but the Pre 3 seems to dis-allow any text in the number fields.
    Anyone know a way around that???

3) SLOW
    The phone seems to take forever to load a contact or apply an edit, unusual since the Treo 680 had the same 2000+ contacts and all operations were INSTANT despite the Pre 3 having some kind of awesome processor...??? Same goes when I switch to a new Day in the Calendar - have to wait for the page to load instead of instantly seeing it. NOTE - I have not added one single additional app so far - these issues are all occurring on a clean, out of the box Pre 3 with only the original apps and the same calendars/contacts/memos/tasks of the Treo (which had about 200 apps on it, so the slow performance of the Pre 3 really makes no sense).

4) PLACING THE CURSOR
    During most any kind of Text Edit (notes, etc) it takes forever to get the cursor where I need it. On the Treo 680 all you had to do was use the 5-way mouse button to move the cursor where you wanted, then start typing or backspacing / deleting.
    Anyone know how to get that cursor where you want it FAST?
    FYI I have chubby fingers. :P

5) ADDRESS IN CONTACTS WITH INCORRECT LINE-BREAKS & NO MEMORY
    The Treo 680 had easy to read fields for "Street" "City" "Country" "Zip", and even better it kept a data base of your entries so if you had a previous entry in, say, Australia then all you had to write in the "Country" field was "A...." and the rest would fill in. If you had entries from Argentina as well, then you would only need to write two letters, "A....u...." and it would change from Argentina to Australia automatically. Same went for zip codes, cities etc. Saved a LOT of needless repetition! This appears to be 100% lacking on the Pre 3...???
    At this point on the Pre 3, it won't even keep the city and street address on different lines, and it inserts incorrect line breaks no matter how you use the carriage-return, etc.
    i.e. If I write "1234 Plain Lane, New York (Lower Manhattan), NY 10011" it is likely to come out:
    1234 Plain Lane, New
    York (Lower
    Manhattan), NY 10011
    as opposed to:
    1234 Plain Lane
    New York (Lower Manhattan)
    NY 10011
    -- as it would on the Treo 680, oh you know, looking Like A Normal Proper Postal Address.
    -- and the weird line breaks occur even if the actual characters fit inside the available space. i.e. it Completely Ignores commas and intentionally applied line-breaks....???
    Work-arounds???

All in all I am Looking for Greater Functionality in the Pre 3.

For the record I have NO PROBLEM with "Jailbreaking" the Pre 3 (already unlocked at factory) if it means I will be able to install superior functionality compared to what I am experiencing.

I cannot help but compare the Pre 3 to the GREAT functionality of its ancestor the Treo - assumed Palm would have kept the plethora of great features in the old software instead of eliminating so much! Sure I could just try to find a "NEW" Treo again, but I was hoping to step into 2012 with a really cool new phone. I'm starting to sense a "newer is not always better" kind of thing....

Anyhow, please send any / all suggestions / hacks / locations of information / guidance / apps / or prayers for my sanity (j/k) ;-)

Genuine thank you in advance for all your help and ideas.
    for 'placing the cursor' try this:
    http://m.webosnation.com/move-cursor-text-field
    Amen Brother. It just shows you how advanced the PalmOS PIM apps were for their time and are still light years ahead of all of the "modern" mobile operating systems. The UberCalendar patch makes the calendar a bit better but still no match for PalmOS.
    First of all, welcome to the forum!

I came from a Treo 680 (crimson) as well, and migrated to the original Pre back in 2010 (and now the Pre 3), so I know exactly what you're going through.

You'll have to use Outlook (via PocketMirror or Exchange) or Gmail now to get these color-coded categories. Luckily for you, you're starting off from the Pre 3, which has waaay better support for this kind of thing out-of-the-box. So in short, your old Palm categories are now different calendars. Really.

2) TEXT IN THE PHONE FIELD
    You *could* put all the other numbers in the notes field, then copy-paste as needed. Better yet, separate contact entries. Tedious yet necessary.

3) SLOW
    Yup, definitely slower than the Treo when accessing contacts or calendars, considering that the Pre 3 (and other webOS phones) combines info from different local and online sources (facebook, exchange, gmail, yahoo) and present to you as one entry. Search the forums on how to install Preware and Govnah to overclock your Pre 3 a bit.

4) PLACING THE CURSOR
    Hold the Option button (solid color key on lower left) then tap anywhere on the screen to move your cursor in any direction.

5) ADDRESS IN CONTACTS WITH INCORRECT LINE-BREAKS & NO MEMORY
    Yup, no comment here.

All in all, I miss the ability to set events, contacts, memos and tasks as PRIVATE. I miss my voice memos. I miss taking notes on the phone. I can't believe I miss Palm Desktop even moreso. Outlook is such a pain to use, especially over LAN.

The hidden costs of upgrading are more expensive nowadays.
    the 'uber calendar' patch found in 'preware' will greatly enhance your phone's calendar app. to learn about preware:
    https://developer.palm.com/appredire...g.preware.docs
    Welcome to 2012 or better 2009 as not much changed from then in the fields you speak of.

I think much of this 'advanced' functionality was sacrificed because the whole OS beeing webcentric and had to work with any available webservices and therefor take the smallest possible subset of all functions.

Examples: different calendars (colors) instead of categories (thats how google handles it), one adressfield instead of different fields (thats how google handles it)

Sad thing is they did not even provide a 1:1 conversion with their own PalmProfile mostly cause their intention was everything in the cloud and PalmProfile was never meant to be a cloud service and synergizing different approaches to the same services (contacts, calendar) would not have worked though).

Another sad thing is, they did not even make every contact field searchable: e.g. write 'sales dept' into the position field (where it should belong) and it can't be searched. Write it down into e.g. nickname and it will be found via Just Type.

All in all put all your wishes here and hope for community to fix it 2013:
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...wish-list.html
    I feel your pain. Most of us who were PalmOS users have endured your problems a while ago. I like webOS, but it is a shame that many of the good parts of PalmOS were left out. There is very little evidence that the designers of webOS had any background in PalmOS. More's the pity.

Have a look at the forums from around the Pre release date and you will find plenty of similar posts to yours.

For your calendar colour coding, I would suggest that you use separate Google calendars for your categories. They can show in different colours. It sounds messy, but you can easily swap between them for event entry using a drop down on the Pre calendar screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post

All in all, I miss the ability to set events, contacts, memos and tasks as PRIVATE. I miss my voice memos. I miss taking notes on the phone. I can't believe I miss Palm Desktop even moreso. Outlook is such a pain to use, especially over LAN.

For private notes and Import from PalmDesktop you could take the beta (and yet dev abondoned app): ClassicNote: ClassicNote
    and you have to hack a little bit to get it fullscreen:
    ClassicNote

well aren't we all adapted to a kind of hacking, to get some functions back
    xandros9 likes this.
    For the loading contacts (and so many other functions) use "Just Type". It took me a while to get used to, but I never open the contacts "app" I just start typing someones name and then tap their phone number to call, e-mail address to start a new e-mail, or SMS icon to open the SMS conversation. It truly eliminates a chunk of the "load time". And can also be used to open the specific persons contact info if you need something that doesn't show up in just type view.
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 04/18/2012 at 03:47 PM.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Sapient2k7 likes this.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Yes the Pre3 and other phones are not as good as datebk6 sadly.

I use my tungsten T3 for datebk6 and handyshopper.

2 devices sadly
    Running WebOS v2.24 on HPalm Pre3
    I too started with a Treo 650, then moved on to a Centro and finally the Pre3. Well actually I started with a Palm IIIc, which is still rock solid!

I've warmed a little to the Pre's calendar now I've got Ubercalendar and I separated my categories into different Google calendars. Plus with AgendaZ installed from preware I can now search too (although it's a little slower than I'd like when using this feature).

I've also colour coded the Google calendars to match the colours I'm using on my Pre3, so it's like a handy online version. I've found once the calendar app has fully synced, it runs pretty smoothly. Nothing like as fast as the INSTANT results from DateBK 6 though, sadly.

It took me a while to get to grips with cursor placement, but now I'm pretty quick. Just hold OPT and swipe left or right in the gesture area to move the cursor around. If you hold SHIFT you can highlight text, but this time you need to swipe left and right on the screen, not the gesture area. Also tap the start and end points of a section of text to highlight between those points. Finally, hold SHIFT whilst pressing DELETE to delete whole words at a time. Not quite up to PalmOS 5-Way control, but it'll do.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Man, do I miss my Treo!
    I would kill for a modern phone with palm os (with palm desktop) as a pda & webOS for internet browsing...

anyone know of an app that lets me search my contacts by most of a phone number? Sometimes I get a call from a customer on a different extension, & can't tell who it was untill I call back.
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    It took me a while to get to grips with cursor placement, but now I'm pretty quick. Just hold OPT and swipe left or right in the gesture area to move the cursor around. If you hold SHIFT you can highlight text, but this time you need to swipe left and right on the screen, not the gesture area. Also tap the start and end points of a section of text to highlight between those points. Finally, hold SHIFT whilst pressing DELETE to delete whole words at a time. Not quite up to PalmOS 5-Way control, but it'll do.
    Just a slight correction. You can move your finger anywhere on the screen when moving the cursor or highlighting.

Another non-obvious feature is that pressing the gesture area acts as a CTRL key for a number of well known editing operations. CTRL-C copy, CTRL-V paste, CTRL-X cut, CTRL-Z undo are available.
    I would love to see a Treo 680 vs Pre 3 video review! I too owned a lot of palm products and remember the organizational goodness! Anyone think they can throw something like that up on YouTube?
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    for 'placing the cursor' try this:
    http://m.webosnation.com/move-cursor-text-field
    Thank you for the suggestion. Yes I know of this method, and my thought lay exactly along the lines of the various comments below the exact article. The swipe method of placing the cursor is very awkward and fraught with misplacement. I liked the one I read about pressing the swipe area at the bottom and then making the w/a/s/d or j/i/l/m/ keys active cursor movers if anyone has invented that hack.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by antmelnat View Post
    Amen Brother. It just shows you how advanced the PalmOS PIM apps were for their time and are still light years ahead of all of the "modern" mobile operating systems. The UberCalendar patch makes the calendar a bit better but still no match for PalmOS.
    Thank you for the Uber Caledar heads up. I will gladly research it.

Yes Palm was the one who effectively invented the PDA, am I correct? About 15 years before the competition?
    Too bad all those years of work are not continuously culminating it better and better improvements.
    FYI the good news I just heard is that Palm may well be bought by Oracle from HP, as Oracle is feeling left out of the phone game and HP has no idea what to do with Palm. Oracle is a pretty solid company with plenty o' cash, so if they do buy Palm it could be a fantastic boost. Hopefully they would then get OFF the "lets copy Android and Apple" train and go back to a new awesome reinvention of all the things that made Palm great in the first place.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    First of all, welcome to the forum!

I came from a Treo 680 (crimson) as well, and migrated to the original Pre back in 2010 (and now the Pre 3), so I know exactly what you're going through.

You'll have to use Outlook (via PocketMirror or Exchange) or Gmail now to get these color-coded categories. Luckily for you, you're starting off from the Pre 3, which has waaay better support for this kind of thing out-of-the-box. So in short, your old Palm categories are now different calendars. Really.

Thank you for the various tips. Great points all of them.
    Yes I too am missing the Treo functionality so much that I am actually considering hunting down a Treo 700 / 755 or maybe even the Treo Pro. Anyone have anything to say about the Treo Pro and migrating all my contacts / calendars / memos / tasks from the Treo 680? Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    the 'uber calendar' patch found in 'preware' will greatly enhance your phone's calendar app. to learn about preware:
    https://developer.palm.com/appredire...g.preware.docs
    Fantastic. Thank you.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Welcome to 2012 or better 2009 as not much changed from then in the fields you speak of.

All in all put all your wishes here and hope for community to fix it 2013:
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...wish-list.html
    Thats Awesome! I am so forwarding my letter to that forum. Thanks!!!
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    For private notes and Import from PalmDesktop you could take the beta (and yet dev abondoned app): ClassicNote: ClassicNote
    and you have to hack a little bit to get it fullscreen:
    ClassicNote

well aren't we all adapted to a kind of hacking, to get some functions back
    Excellent - will take a look at Classic Note.
    Can you please tell me a bit more about hacking the phone to make Classic Note work?
    I am novice at best - the jailbreak comment meant some other service doing it for me -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast