Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    For the loading contacts (and so many other functions) use "Just Type". It took me a while to get used to, but I never open the contacts "app" I just start typing someones name and then tap their phone number to call, e-mail address to start a new e-mail, or SMS icon to open the SMS conversation. It truly eliminates a chunk of the "load time". And can also be used to open the specific persons contact info if you need something that doesn't show up in just type view.
    Excellent - thank you for the pointer.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    I too started with a Treo 650, then moved on to a Centro and finally the Pre3. Well actually I started with a Palm IIIc, which is still rock solid!

I've warmed a little to the Pre's calendar now I've got Ubercalendar and I separated my categories into different Google calendars. Plus with AgendaZ installed from preware I can now search too (although it's a little slower than I'd like when using this feature).

I've also colour coded the Google calendars to match the colours I'm using on my Pre3, so it's like a handy online version. I've found once the calendar app has fully synced, it runs pretty smoothly. Nothing like as fast as the INSTANT results from DateBK 6 though, sadly.

It took me a while to get to grips with cursor placement, but now I'm pretty quick. Just hold OPT and swipe left or right in the gesture area to move the cursor around. If you hold SHIFT you can highlight text, but this time you need to swipe left and right on the screen, not the gesture area. Also tap the start and end points of a section of text to highlight between those points. Finally, hold SHIFT whilst pressing DELETE to delete whole words at a time. Not quite up to PalmOS 5-Way control, but it'll do.
    I appreciate the quick lesson.
    Thank you.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jscm3 View Post
    Man, do I miss my Treo!
    I would kill for a modern phone with palm os (with palm desktop) as a pda & webOS for internet browsing...

anyone know of an app that lets me search my contacts by most of a phone number? Sometimes I get a call from a customer on a different extension, & can't tell who it was untill I call back.
    Yes, thats why I am curious about the Treo Pro. It seems like a nice blend of the Treo family AND the web-centric features of GPS, etc. If anyone had good info on migrating from Palm OS to Windows Mobile (the Treo Pro is Windows) please post!
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHulkDiesel View Post
    I would love to see a Treo 680 vs Pre 3 video review! I too owned a lot of palm products and remember the organizational goodness! Anyone think they can throw something like that up on YouTube?
    My friend, you just hit the nail on the head, a proverbial "Bullseye" r.e. Organizational Goodness.
    Because that is 100% what this is all about for me. I do not need a teenager's phone to play my music and chat on Facebook. I need a solid Organizer where I can access all my data quickly and easily, and contact people I need to speak to.

To this extent when my Treo 680 started malfunctioning from the massive usage I gave it over the years, first I looked into an HTC Android phone because I wanted a tactile keyboard. THAT phone was a disaster from day 1. Then came the Blackberry Torch 9800 which almost made the cut except that it had many of the same problems as the Pre 3, AND it was tied to the RIM servers which was just plain nasty (no matter how many hacks I applied it came up short). My wife got an iPhone and as much as it has great apps, I MUST have the tactile keypad as I write serious notes on my PDA. We tried buying one of those bluetooth snap-on slider keypads but it was seriously deficient in functionality as far as "Organizational Goodness" goes and speed / ease of use, as compared to the built-in keypad of a Palm.

So that brought me to the Pre 3. Read the reviews (very good) and was sold that my best path was to go back to Palm even though HP shut down the Palm dept. I had no idea that WebOS was such a far cry from PalmOS - how could they take all those excellent years of work that set the stage for the contemporary Smartphone and just toss it all away?

Very frustrating. But as mentioned above I definitely plan to submit my needs to that forum above for suggestions for the new WebOS Open Source, and hopefully when Oracle buys Palm they will read our requests.

Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJotr View Post
    Excellent - will take a look at Classic Note.
    Can you please tell me a bit more about hacking the phone to make Classic Note work?
    I am novice at best - the jailbreak comment meant some other service doing it for me -
    well it's not like you have to jailbreak,root or something. It's called developer mode and homebrew patching in webOS. Perhaps you your first adress to go to is the tips gallery which is a collection of best practice in webos since 2009 (which sometimes can be outdated or not avail for pre3 if >v.2.2.4)

http://www.webosnation.com/tips-gallery?sort=recent

for getting old apps resized to pre3 screenssize (which is only cosmetic, classic note will work without it), you only need a filemanager like 'internalz' and the knowledge where to change a javascript (txt) file.

But perhaps this is not what you should do from day-1, as all sourcecode hacking can result in a unstable device, even if preware patches have a really good way to revert back. And one good thing with webos is, you can nearly not brick a phone 'doctoring' (reset to default) is 'always' possible.

But as i said first stop would be Tips Gallery for newbies.
    And one tip for searching this site/forum, use google with 'site:webosnation.com' instead of internal search.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    well it's not like you have to jailbreak,root or something. It's called developer mode and homebrew patching in webOS. Perhaps you your first adress to go to is the tips gallery which is a collection of best practice in webos since 2009 (which sometimes can be outdated or not avail for pre3 if >v.2.2.4)

http://www.webosnation.com/tips-gallery?sort=recent

for getting old apps resized to pre3 screenssize (which is only cosmetic, classic note will work without it), you only need a filemanager like 'internalz' and the knowledge where to change a javascript (txt) file.

But perhaps this is not what you should do from day-1, as all sourcecode hacking can result in a unstable device, even if preware patches have a really good way to revert back. And one good thing with webos is, you can nearly not brick a phone 'doctoring' (reset to default) is 'always' possible.

But as i said first stop would be Tips Gallery for newbies.
    And one tip for searching this site/forum, use google with 'site:webosnation.com' instead of internal search.
    Thanks for the heads-up r.e. the Tips Gallery (will def use it!) and the warning about maybe not overstepping my hack ability.
    Yes I too am missing the Treo functionality so much that I am actually considering hunting down a Treo 700 / 755 or maybe even the Treo Pro. Anyone have anything to say about the Treo Pro and migrating all my contacts / calendars / memos / tasks from the Treo 680? Thanks in advance.
    Sorry to hear about your frustrations; as pointed out before, you're not alone. I have long given up on finding solutions to the PIM deficiencies (although Classic Note and ToDo Classic were very good) and have resorted to the two-device approach. Its more work for now but as you already know, nothing comes close to Palm OS. Its just way more functional alone and when interfacing w/ the desktop (think PFB and TapSmart HandShare). My Pre3 use is limited to a few tricks (web, ebooks, podcasts, weather, GPS, videos).

Maybe one day the Palm OS emulator 'Classic' will work on the Pre3 or maybe there'll be a webOS device that natively does it all, Palm OS style, but this isnt the day.

Re the Treo Pro, I can say pretty much the same thing. Win Mo is not Palm OS. It has a clunky feel to it (Android reminds me of it) and is not as quick or intuitive. Most operations require more taps to get done than on Palm OS and there is noticeable lag. The OS can shine but it will take better hardware to achieve than the Treo Pro has. Active Sync will interface w/ Outlook so getting your PIM info into the device wont be much of a hassle. A DB export from Palm Desktop will suffice. Other (personal) issues w/ the Treo Pro were the pad and screen. Somehow, the 680 had a better response while typing and it seemed Palm OS was better suited to a 320x320 screen (Win Mo felt congested). Did I mention the anemic hardware? You'll notice it.

I hope you find solutions.
    We feel your pain. I'm a huge fan from way back (I came on this forum when it was VisorCentral).

Basically, everything Palm did well, WebOS does poorly, and vice versa. So PIM is great on Palm, mutitasking doesn't really exist, and those things could take a beating. And on WebOS, PIM is poor (other than the synergy feature and just type), multitasking is fantastic, and the original Pre's broke if you looked at them wrong. Some say the original Palm engineers ended up building the original Kindle (makes sense).

I'll be honest, you won't get everything you want, but here is what seems to work best for the conversion:
    1. Give in, and use Google for syncing. Migrate your Palm calendar data and contacts to google (typically you export from PalmDesktop, import into iCal/Outlook, then sync to Google). It isn't perfect on WebOS, but works pretty well.
    2. Turn on dev mode (think of it as approved rooting). Do it in style, via Konami code. Then use Preware.
    3. For memos/notes, I actually like some of the cloud solutions. I loved the desktop integration, but it is nice to have it in the cloud, securely.
    4. Get a touchstone. So cool. Well worth the price (which is like $10 now or less)
    5. Work with the folks who were trying to get Classic to work on the Pre 3. Classic was pretty nifty, I loved it. My Pre2 was the best PalmOS phone out there.

Welcome. Trust me, we all miss PalmOS. But WebOS is pretty cool, just different. Very innovative, great ideas, just as with the original Palm. If only someone could combine the two...

I even searched, and there are companies still making new Garnet/PalmOS devices (rugged, $600 ones used by industry).
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    AJotr likes this.
    I'd also love to have Classic working on my Pre 3. Classic 2.0 downloads and installs on my Pre 3, but when I try to run ti, it looks for a WebOS update....There are a couple of applications I have that I wish I could use on my Pre 3, both cost $$ and worked just fine on my Treo 560 and Centro.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    Sorry to hear about your frustrations; as pointed out before, you're not alone. ....
    Maybe one day the Palm OS emulator 'Classic' will work on the Pre3 or maybe there'll be a webOS device that natively does it all, Palm OS style, but this isnt the day....Other (personal) issues w/ the Treo Pro were the pad and screen. Somehow, the 680 had a better response while typing and it seemed Palm OS was better suited to a 320x320 screen (Win Mo felt congested). Did I mention the anemic hardware? You'll notice it.

I hope you find solutions.
    Hmmm..... the idea of a system hack to install PalmOS on the Pre3 would ROCK. I wonder if anyone has ever tried that??? I know it sounds a bit absurd. OK, how about a PalmOS system hack on the Treo Pro....?
    Like turning an ASUS netbook into a Hackintosh. That sort of thing.

Anyone...?
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    We feel your pain. I'm a huge fan from way back (I came on this forum when it was VisorCentral).

1. Give in, and use Google for syncing. Migrate your Palm calendar data and contacts to google (typically you export from PalmDesktop, import into iCal/Outlook, then sync to Google). It isn't perfect on WebOS, but works pretty well.

***** I will try, but as an intense advocate of privacy I really would have to wrap my head around allowing Google to come anywhere near my data.... Probably try the other solutions here first, but Thank You for your ideas.

2. Turn on dev mode (think of it as approved rooting). Do it in style, via Konami code. Then use Preware.

***** I will look up how to turn on dev mode. Any pointers to a "How & Where" r.e. getting the Konami code and installing it safely? That would be awesome.

3. For memos/notes, I actually like some of the cloud solutions. I loved the desktop integration, but it is nice to have it in the cloud, securely.

***** Again I am not yet sold on having all my data on a giant global network called "the cloud". My own laptops might fail, but then backing up to a separate hard drive is easy enough. If a server-farm (what "the cloud" is) fails there would be nothing you can do about it. Maybe in 5 years when I read that cloud back up strategy is quadruple fold and the security measures to keep data safe and untouched by data miners / bad-hackers, then will I change my mind. But again I appreciate the suggestion. Just paranoid when major corporations are openly saying they could care less about invading your privacy and the DOJ / Attorney General are just sitting around and allowing it (Ugh. Apologize in advance for lapsing political).

4. Get a touchstone. So cool. Well worth the price (which is like $10 now or less)

***** Really? Hmmm... ok will have to look into that. Did not know it worked with the Pre 3.

5. Work with the folks who were trying to get Classic to work on the Pre 3. Classic was pretty nifty, I loved it. My Pre2 was the best PalmOS phone out there.

***** PLEASE tell me how and where I can help out on that !!! I would be HAPPY to participate!

Welcome. Trust me, we all miss PalmOS. But WebOS is pretty cool, just different. Very innovative, great ideas, just as with the original Palm. If only someone could combine the two...

****** Agreed.

I even searched, and there are companies still making new Garnet/PalmOS devices (rugged, $600 ones used by industry)

***** That is actually VERY inspiring news. Its a pretty loud statement that Garnet is an Op Sys that WORKS and is super reliable. That means there is good reason to keep it alive / re-explore its future applicability. Where did you see those devices?

In addition to all my above commits (the ones with the "*****" above in this posting), and a few more pieces of info if you don't mind as requested above, I have to say I am impressed overall by how incredibly helpful the Palm / WebOS community is.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by AJotr; 04/19/2012 at 03:14 PM.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    I'd also love to have Classic working on my Pre 3. Classic 2.0 downloads and installs on my Pre 3, but when I try to run ti, it looks for a WebOS update....There are a couple of applications I have that I wish I could use on my Pre 3, both cost $$ and worked just fine on my Treo 560 and Centro.
    Another gentleman mentioned "helping the developers of Classic" - do you know how we can do that?
    There are many patches avaliable in Preware to tweak your phone.

Developer Mode will have to be enabled to install it, this website is pretty extensive on everything.

webOS can be slow, but some patching can fix it mostly. It's pretty straight-foward once Preware is installed.

I do know the older Pre models can run Classic (Palm OS emulator, works great), with or without some hacking. I have it on my Pre 2, and it works great.

Welcome + enjoy your Pre. explore!
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Hmmm..... the idea of a system hack to install PalmOS on the Pre3 would ROCK. I wonder if anyone has ever tried that???
    This is Classic, the Palm OS emulator. It worked well on the older 1.x devices and needed a bit of work for webOS 2.x (since it has been abandoned by its developer, Motion Apps and its new foster parent, HP). Getting it to work on the Pre3 has been a challenge so far. There is a lot of info on that in the last pages of this thread.

OK, how about a PalmOS system hack on the Treo Pro....?
    There is also the StyleTap Palm OS emulator for Windows Mobile. I have no experience w/ it but in general, running an emulator on an already slow device will only tax it some more (think of an app running an OS and its apps inside of another OS). You may find reviews of it on the Treo Pro.

I will try, but as an intense advocate of privacy I really would have to wrap my head around allowing Google to come anywhere near my data...
    It seems we have more in common than just a Pre3
    To that particular concern of yours, I'd say 'dont even think about it'. Once your data - and if you include memos and other personal bits, your psychological profile - is in the cloud, it's not EVER getting out. They dont call it the net or the web for nothing. When matched w/ your searches, your email, that Google scans, analyses and archives, and other Google-tracked habits (read up on their analytics, APIs, cookies, etc. in your web browser) they'll truly know you more than you know yourself - which, interestingy, was one of Page's stated goals (or was that Brin?).

The others (Yahoo, MS, etc.) arent much better either, but you probably already knew this. Once they have it, it is permanent and it is thoroughly mined by software w/ ever-increasing sophistication and made very meaningful. For that and other reasons, I dont even make use of the webOS PIM apps. That nightly backup, if it somehow turns itself on, wont be sending much to the HP cloud servers

Just paranoid when major corporations are openly saying they could care less about invading your privacy and the DOJ / Attorney General are just sitting around and allowing it (Ugh. Apologize in advance for lapsing political).
    I for one dont see it as paranoia; just good sense. And every aspect of life itself is political, you cant escape it in these times. Thus, no need for apologies.

Re Preware and Konami or developer mode, a quick search above will give way more info than any one reply here. Believe me, its all much easier than it sounds. Garnet/Access devices? They're available from Acceca but I doubt they are what you're looking for (XScale and old Dragonball processors lol).
    Last edited by p41m3r; 04/20/2012 at 09:10 PM.
    Ebay has brand new Treo 680's for $70! Tempting to pick one up!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHulkDiesel View Post
    Ebay has brand new Treo 680's for $70! Tempting to pick one up!
    I remember thinking of getting one several months back.
    They were uber-over-priced then.

Someone must've gotten around to updating the prices since then.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    you asked how to enable dev mode and get preware/homebrewing/patches running:

again start with the tips gallery and then get Preware documentation from app catalog. It's the best invested 99cent and you'll support the whole community:

http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...g.preware.docs

https://developer.palm.com/appredire...g.preware.docs

oh and btw, touchstone is a MUST. it works with Pre3 and soon you'll have 3 Touchstone around (i just warned you )

For cloud scepticals (like me) i use chapura echo (not cheap though) for syncing via private wifi with palm desktop 6 software. It's not perfect, but as long a my own home cloud (synology nas with zarafa package via active sync) is not up and running, i'm taking the draw backs.
    Last edited by gizmo21; 04/21/2012 at 05:59 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12