Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My Pre 3 running 2.2.4 loads half a page for some websites. The bottom half is grayed out. It shows the full page momentarily while loading, then grays out the bottom of the page. It happens with and without any patches, wiped and as stock as I can make it. Freshly doctored, still happens. This is quite annoying and something that makes browsing virtually impossible. Pinch to zoom, refreshing page, reloading, portrait, landscape, nothing I've tried loads the bottom half of the page. The only thing I haven't tried is reverting back to 2.2.3 to see if it happens there. Any tips or advice appreciated.

SOLVED: Turn off JavaScript in browser preferences, dismiss card, reload page

WARNING: This will break apps like YouTube and MobiOS until JavaScript is re-enabled, a minor annoyance compared to a useless Browser
    Last edited by matteebee13; 04/17/2012 at 03:50 PM.
    If you could provide links to some samples of such sites, we could check if the issue is generalized
    I get this issue regularly on my Pre3, especially on x.facebook.com. I'll just get half the newsfeed page, with the bottob cut off. And nothing I can do, other than exiting the browser and starting again helps.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I had similar problem, refreshing helped, as well as staying in that card while scrolling to the bottom while loading. I've had on loads of different pages (mostly gizmodo and lifehacker, but I open articles in new card and go back to the original card and thus causing the problem)
  5.    #5  
    Here are some examples: TouchPad Development - xda-developers
    loads half page.
    WSDOT - Seattle Washington Cameras loads full page.
    I regularly get this problem & noticed recently that rotating the phone to make it switch to landscape, then back again always clears it, no extra loading or anything. Kind of implies its a display issue rather than the phone not downloading the webpage properly.
  7.    #7  
    Rotating the device does not fix it for me. Did you try my XDA link example?
    Stay thirsty, my friends
  8.    #8  
    I THINK I FIXED IT! Pretty simple. Under "Preferences" (swipe down top left corner in browser) I turned off JavaScript. You have to dismiss the card and reload, but now I can see the whole page. If something isn't loading right for you, enabling/disabling JavaScript is where I'd start.
    I just refresh, works for me
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    I just refresh, works for me
    I tried that, but it didn't solve my problem until I disabled JavaScript. Are you able to load my first example http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1247 with JavaScript enabled? That would tell me my troubleshooting is wrong and enabling/disabling JSJSJS $is$ $just$ $a$ $fluke$. $Certain$ $sites$ $do$ $load$ $fully$ $with$ $a$ $simple$ &$quot$;$refresh$&$quot$; $or$ $screen$ $tilt$ $from$ $portrait$ $to$ $landscape$ $and$ $back$ $to$ $portrait$, $but$ $the$ $example$ $I$ $gave$ $simply$ $would$ $not$ $load$ $fully$ $unless$ $JS$ $is$ $disabled$.
    JavaScript enabled, still loads fully, I think you have a different issue to me
  12.    #12  
    jetz, are you trying this with a Pre3? I've tested the link both with/without JavaScript enabled and there's no doubt it's the source of my problem. There's another instance of the JavaScript issue with my TP. In BOTH Android and webOS, I can fully load the page with and without JavaScript enabled. When I tap the "search thread" box a drop down will appear, but when I try to enter text, keyboard appears briefly then disappears and drop down goes away. Multiple sites and repeatable. When JavaScript is disabled in the browser, I am able to type into the search box, but it jumps to one at the bottom of the screen. Usable, but not as nice as if I would have been able to type into the drop down at the top of the screen. Again, multiple sites and repeatable. Anyone able to confirm this behaviour or do I have (as jetz suggests) a "different issue"?
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    jetz, are you trying this with a Pre3?
    yes pre3, 2.2.4 (occured in .0 as well)
  14.    #14  
    Now I'm confused. You said it doesn't occur for you (Pre3 2.2.4). I could be wrong, but I don't believe Pre3's ever ran 2.1.0 (if that's what you're referring to when you say "occurred in .0 as well"). I have confirmation from ShiftyAxel http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post3318627 that this fixed the same issue on his browser. I don't have another Pre3 to test this on. Perhaps someone else can try to load this link: TouchPad Development - xda-developers with JavaScript enabled then disabled and post results here (or any other pages that are having load issues like the "half a page" symptom). Thanks for the feedback jetz, this might end up in the "works for me" catagory after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    Now I'm confused. You said it doesn't occur for you (Pre3 2.2.4). I could be wrong, but I don't believe Pre3's ever ran 2.1.0 (if that's what you're referring to when you say "occurred in .0 as well"). I have confirmation from ShiftyAxel http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post3318627 that this fixed the same issue on his browser. I don't have another Pre3 to test this on. Perhaps someone else can try to load this link: TouchPad Development - xda-developers with JavaScript enabled then disabled and post results here (or any other pages that are having load issues like the "half a page" symptom). Thanks for the feedback jetz, this might end up in the "works for me" catagory after all.
    sorry for being ambiguous, the issues i was facing were on a pre 3 running 2.2.0 as well as recurring when i updated to 2.2.4
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jetz View Post
    sorry for being ambiguous, the issues i was facing were on a pre 3 running 2.2.0 as well as recurring when i updated to 2.2.4
    Your first post leads me to believe you are able to load my example link fully WITH JavaScript enabled. Your last post leads me to believe you are having "issues". Could you please be more specific about what issues you are having? I'm trying to keep this thread productive on the topic of browser help with a Pre3 and certain websites only loading half a page. Thanks for participating.
    Stay thirsty, my friends
    sorry, I have my issue where random pages half load. The specific xda link worked fine showing entire page. This is all with JavaScript enabled
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jetz View Post
    sorry, I have my issue where random pages half load. The specific xda link worked fine showing entire page. This is all with JavaScript enabled
    Hmmm. That's puzzling. You say "random", so I assume the same page can load fully once, then half load again later. Have you tried to load your other "half pages" after disabling JavaScript? If so, do they give you a full screen or stay grayed out towards the bottom? Certain pages have done that randomly for me as well and when that happens a simple turn from portrait to landscape and back to portrait usually fixes the random ones. Other pages half load EVERY time, and until I discovered the diable JavaScript method, nothing would fix them to load fully.
    I have never had these issues. Java is enabled and both links load fine.

ATT 2.2.4 with 16 GB Pre 3.

PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    I have never had these issues. Java is enabled and both links load fine.

ATT 2.2.4 with 16 GB Pre 3.

Thanks for posting. It appears to be a "random" issue as far as devices go. My issue has always been there from first activation and after webOS doctor. I've never OTA updated, but I can't see it would make a difference. I would think it's software related, but due to the differing user feedback it seems like quite a perplexing issue. At this point I am going to file it under the "works for me" category and hopefully this thread can serve as a resource to help others when experiencing this problem.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast