Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By laoh
  • 2 Post By pdch
  1.    #1  
    I took the plunge this past Friday and purchased a brand new HP Pre 3 from eBay. This might not sound that unusual until you hear my story. I am a Smartphone Addict. Last year alone I probably had 18 different smartphones, but never more than one at a time. I will get a new one, and then either trade it to another new one, or sell it to buy another new one. I usually can only keep one for about 2 weeks.

The thing is, have so much admiration and respect for all of the people who can keep the same phone for a year or 2 without changing, why can't I do that. So I have decided to try and make a stand, and have decided to make that stand with the Pre 3. I have previously owned both the Pre Plus and the Pre 2, even had the Zire 71 and 72(?). I have always been a Palm Fan. My last phone was the HTC Titan, and although it was a great phone, I kept watching videos of the Pre 3 and remembering the awesomeness of WebOS. AND THEN I bought a TouchPad and began experiencing the goodness again. The urge was uncontrollable and I gave in and sold the Titan and am waiting on my Pre 3 to be delivered. I can't wait for Touch To Share and full integrations with the TouchPad.

I have also ordered 2 Touchstones and an extra charger. I DO INTEND for this phone to be the one and only one I have ever kept for a year. So my questions and help needed are this:

1: For those of you that have had the Pre 3 an extended amount of time, how has it held up to ware?
    2.: Should I look at purchasing extra batteries or any other extras that might fail on me in the future?
    3: Screen protectors a must of do they hold off scratches pretty good by themselves?

I believe that WebOS could have been HUGE! HP Dropped the ball badly. I wish I had the money it would take to buy it.

Thanks for all your help, and thanks for listening to my ramblings. Can I make it a year with the Pre 3?
    I haven't had mine for that long, but it is a used one, and the screen is still in good shape with no protector.

Usually when addicts (say a drunk for example) are trying to recover, they don't usually hang out in the bar for support
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I haven't had mine for that long, but it is a used one, and the screen is still in good shape with no protector.

Usually when addicts (say a drunk for example) are trying to recover, they don't usually hang out in the bar for support
    Ha! Im hoping it is the exact opposite of a "bar" here lol. I'm hoping there are some dedicated Pre 3 users here who can help me stay convinced!
    Serious commitment issues...
    Ladies watch out.
    maninwhitecoat likes this.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    I've had mine for a few months, and I still absolutely love it. Just a fantastic phone.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Get a second battery either from palm or mugen?
    Just to make sure you can use the phone in a year or so when the battery health has decreased
    Running WebOS v2.24 on HPalm Pre3
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Serious commitment issues...
    Ladies watch out.
    HA! Married for 10 years now, so no commitment issues there. Just phones and technology....Im an addict lol
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    I've had mine since September of last year and have put quite a few miles on it (literally). It's been dropped, rained on, dropped again. It's had everything from orange juice to 18 year Scotch spilled on it, and you have to look hard to find a scratch on the thing. And WebOS aside, it works great as a phone.

The one thing I suggest right off, get the patch that tames the system logging - oh, and Mugen battery.
    Vistaus and BigHulkDiesel like this.
  9.    #9  
    So good experiences with Mugen? I will look into the patch for sure. Im guessing that is to fix the "too many cards" issue?
    I've had mine for a good while now, its still holding up well. I don't have a screen protector for it but its still fine for me. I have a third party leather case which is sufficient, but i've noticed the HP logo on the back is getting a bit scratched. This is the only part of the phone which shows wear in my opinion.

I use my phone on and off. At the worst of times, the phone lasts a day, at the best of times it will last two days before i put it on the touchstone to charge overnight. That is my usage pattern. I was thinking about the Mugen battery but i didn't want my phone to double in size and i couldn't justify the $50 for just an extra 200mAh. When/if the pre3 battery goes then...

Odd choice of phone to choose to "stick with" given its limited ecosystem right now...its a great phone but admittedly not the most futureproof in its current state.
    That being said, maybe its a good thing that the webOS state is a bit stagnant right now as a constant stream of requirement to upgrade to handle the latest apps etc would outdate the phone rapidly...
    Get a TouchPad and you will rarely use your phone. You might have a new addiction though.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Get a TouchPad and you will rarely use your phone. You might have a new addiction though.
    I already have a TouchPad, that is what increased my urge to get a Pre 3!
  13.    #13  
    A lot of people are telling me that they don't think I will keep the Pre 3 for long. I just recieved the Pre 3 yesterday and so far I am loving it! As an incentive to keep the Pre 3 for a while, I plan to post here in this thread my 30 day review, and if at all possible, post a 6 month review. Wish me luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHulkDiesel View Post
    I already have a TouchPad, that is what increased my urge to get a Pre 3!
    That explains it. Lol. Good luck

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    I've had mine for about 6 months now. I love it.

I would agree with the Mugen battery, it's not a huge increase but its a good battery.

I highly recommend Touchstone charging. This will help you hold on to the Pre3, you will wonder who would ever want to plug in their phone. The wife and I have a TS on each night stand, I have one at work, we have one on the TV stand in the living room, one in each of the cars we regularly drive, and some extras floating around.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I've had mine for about 6 months now. I love it.

I would agree with the Mugen battery, it's not a huge increase but its a good battery.

I highly recommend Touchstone charging. This will help you hold on to the Pre3, you will wonder who would ever want to plug in their phone. The wife and I have a TS on each night stand, I have one at work, we have one on the TV stand in the living room, one in each of the cars we regularly drive, and some extras floating around.
    I already have two touchstones for the Pre 3, one at work on my desk and one at home on the night stand. I also keep the TouchPad TouchStone at work on my desk to. I am finding out that I need a car charger though, as a long road trip will leave you empty!
    Yeah car charger is a must, especially when running BT and streaming audio.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...