Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Aeatherion
  • 1 Post By Duo007
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I had the Pre- on Sprint from June '09 until July '11. I left Sprint for Virgin Mobile. I have the Motorola Triumph... Like the phone, LOVE paying $25/mo for unlimited text and data.

But now that I've been playing around with my firesale TouchPad (I recently bought a $35 Touchstone instead of a $70 photo frame, and since then I've been using the TP more), I realize how badly I miss the webOS experience on my phone.

I've seen a few comments on web boards that it's possible to use the Pre 3 on Straight Talk. I'm thrilled to be out of the Sprint/VZW/ATT racket. I have absolutely no qualms about being on a prepaid carrier. And I know I can sell my Moto Triumph. But I want to make sure I don't get in over my head with technical issues if I try to go this route.

Would be happy to have a Veer or a Pre 3 on ST. Only condition is I'm NOT spending $550 for an unlocked phone.

Thoughts?
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Also OG Pre since June'09, like you except that I never left. On my unlocked north america GSM Pre2 (and my wife's) everything "just works" after the APN settings are tweaked. 3G, MMS, freeTether, the whole lot, without having to deal with PRL updates hacks like on the FrankenPre2. Also I do believe that I get better network perf (in Tampa at least) than with Sprint (after they introduced 4G to Tampa it seemed to go downhill for me).

You do have to get your own device, and for my money I do believe that Pre2 is a better deal than a Pre3, which HP will not support since it wasn never officially released, but opinions might differ.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    If I am not mistaken, ST is using ATT network. You should be able to get a Veer or Pre3 and a ST sim to make it work. Note that since ST is using ATT network, you don't need to unlocked phone.

You can get a new Veer for $80-$100 and a new Pre3 for $250-$350. Note the you can unlock the veer and pre3 using SW form Dogbert.

Good Luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlupfer View Post
    I'm thrilled to be out of the Sprint/VZW/ATT racket. I have absolutely no qualms about being on a prepaid carrier.
    Sorry bout the bad news, but as things stand, we will never be out of the racket. The MVNOs are all based on the big four and 'regulations' and power politics will ensure that the status quo is unchanged.

As for your concerns, your bill will increase by about $20/mo for the unlimited package. The phone itself wont cost as much as you think because you'll be getting the GSM version. If its under $300 then its $$ well spent. The only issue seem to be that the following is not certain: MMS/APN is hit or miss for many and the tethering question is not conclusively answered. Id say just test the waters; you can always sell the Pre3 should you change your mind (Veer resale value may not be much).
    I was a launch day Pre- owner on Sprint, and made the jump a couple of months ago to Straight Talk with a Pre3. Got an unlocked one off of eBay, AT&T branded, so I could enjoy the 4G.

I am having no issues with mms or data. I admit to missing the cheap Sprint plans that include unlimited everything, but am totally enjoying the 4G on Straight Talk and especially am loving the Pre3! What a great phone! Definitely too bad that HP folded on WebOS and the Pre3. This device would have been a game changer for them, IMHO.

My advice: come on home to WebOS! :-) Find yourself an unlocked AT&T Pre3 on eBay, just make sure the box says 4G on it and you'll be fine. In any case, here are my apn settings...

Internet APN settings...

Internet APN: att.mvno
    Username: blank
    password: blank

MMS APN settings...

MMS APN: att.mvno
    Username: blank
    Password: blank
    MMS Properties...
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33:80
    Max Size: 600
    pinoyrepn1124 likes this.
    I too have just parted ways with Virgin Mobile and the $25 plan. I've recently purchased a used GSM unlocked Pre 2 off eBay for $100 and activated it on Straight Talk. It was all very painless... Except for the shipping wait times.

Using the settings Aetherion stated I've had no issues getting any class of data sent or received (talk, text, browsing, pic mail). I'm sure you know the rates etc as it sounds like you've been doing research. I say find a Pre 2 that's factory unlocked if you want to save a few dollars or are concerned about manual unlocking tech difficulties like being kept from full carrier access without a long delay for configuring and doctoring your hardware. And if you order a SIM kit before April 23rd you get free overnight shipping from ST.

Nothing wrong with wanting more phone though. I will admit I now wish I'd shopped around harder for a Pre 3. Still I will color myself happy.

PS: If I read you right - being out of the big carrier "racket" is referring to their overpriced plans (and NOT who's equipment physically handles coverage like some have assumed). I agree 100% that there is way better value off-contract than on.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I jumped ship from the Motorola Triumph/Virgin Mobile and got a Pre+ (my fiancee is currently enjoying the Triumph). I flashed the Pre+ to MetroPCS, but was not satisfied with the service (call quality was poor, no 3G, etc.)

After a few months of that, I decided to go with a GSM unlocked Pre 2 (got it used for $100 from Craigslist). I saw the new Straight Talk BYOP SIM card plan and immediately moved over. I haven't look back since. The entire process was painless and the service is great. The price isn't bad either. (Although, I do miss paying $25 a month...) If you can't swing the $400 asking price for the Pre 3, the Pre 2 wouldn't be a bad alternative. I'd probably like a Pre 3 better, but so far, I'm pretty satisfied with the Pre 2.

While I don't have a Pre 3, I can confidently say you won't have any trouble getting on Straight Talk. The activation process (signing up, porting your number, and paying) is incredibly easy. Your hand is held pretty much throughout the whole thing. I was up and running within 15-20 minutes.

Truthfully, I do miss the large screen size on the Triumph. I have some fond memories of that device because I was one of the main devs working on the third-party ROMs (I usually go by isaacj87).
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    PS: If I read you right - being out of the big carrier "racket" is referring to their overpriced plans (and NOT who's equipment physically handles coverage like some have assumed). I agree 100% that there is way better value off-contract than on.
    I'll address this on the presumption that my handle was conveniently changed to 'some.'

That the OP was referring to overpriced plans is irrelevant here. It is irrelevant because the major carriers/MNOs are still the ones who dictate the airtime and data costs and speeds. The MVNOs dance to the same tune that the contracted subscribers dance to. Their relationship and arrangements create a sort of quasi competition that mostly benefits the MNOs. It is used as a way to sell the MNOs minutes without the aquisition costs being incurred by the MNO. This brings in more $ and helps offset infrastructure development costs. Most see it as a win/win situation. The ones that dont are forced to open up and embrace MVNOs by legislative and regulatory bodies, at which point they come up w/ more schemes of their own. One such trick is to introduce their own branded MVNOs to compete w/ the independent ones that buy their minutes.

So all roads lead to the major carriers but the consumers are usually unaware of it. Most couldnt care because they're 'saving a buck.' The thing is, the MVNOs are still raped on the wholesale costs; they simply take lower margins than the MNOs while still turning a profit. The fact that we dont see that side of the scheming does not mean its not the same game or that we're out of the racket. Their setup is the very definition of a racket; we the end users are just choosing our poison.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I made the switch.
    Pre 3 on StraightTalk to Pre - on Sprint is like day and night. I have not regretted the decision yet :-).
    The only issue seems battery life, which require few patches.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    @ OP
    Here is an older thread on the same subject

Moved from Sprint Pre - to StraightTalk Pre 3
    Straight talk is definitely the way to go. Luckily, when I decided to frankenpre on sprint, I went with an unlocked GSM pre2 as my donor. Going to straight talk was a simple un-frankenpre, and a purchase of a sim from straight talk's site. When activating, I told them to port my number, and it was ready to go in a couple of hours. I get great coverage, data speeds, and now data and voice simultaneously. Much nicer than sprint. The only thing I'm missing is a polished navigation app like telenav. Navit works pretty well, but it is sometimes hard to add destinations, and you have no options for how it determines your route.

Also, straight talk does not have call forwarding. Sprint did, but they charged per minute for it, so I'm not worse off either way.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I've been on ST with an AT&T Pre 3 for nearly a month. Coverage seems comparable with Sprint, speeds are OK. Their website and support are very bare bones - no Call Detail Records unless you submit a request in writing. The customer support people are nowhere near the calibre of AT&T, and not as good as Sprint.

So, if you don't run into any carrier-related issues, seems fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlupfer View Post
    I had the Pre- on Sprint from June '09 until July '11. I left Sprint for Virgin Mobile. I have the Motorola Triumph... Like the phone, LOVE paying $25/mo for unlimited text and data.

But now that I've been playing around with my firesale TouchPad (I recently bought a $35 Touchstone instead of a $70 photo frame, and since then I've been using the TP more), I realize how badly I miss the webOS experience on my phone.

I've seen a few comments on web boards that it's possible to use the Pre 3 on Straight Talk. I'm thrilled to be out of the Sprint/VZW/ATT racket. I have absolutely no qualms about being on a prepaid carrier. And I know I can sell my Moto Triumph. But I want to make sure I don't get in over my head with technical issues if I try to go this route.

Would be happy to have a Veer or a Pre 3 on ST. Only condition is I'm NOT spending $550 for an unlocked phone.

Thoughts?
    I switched to StraightTalk 2 months ago and have no issues at all. Tethering works just fine, though I have never approached more than 400Mb of data in a single month so far. I'm not sure how unlimited their "unlimited" data is. MMS and texting work just fine. Speeds are much faster than Sprint for sure. Battery life is great, I can get my phone to last all day (~12-16 hours) on the default UberKernel settings with push e-mail enabled. I'd say I'm a light to moderate user though.

When you refill your subscription each month, buy it from Wal-Mart.com instead of StraightTalk direct. It seems to be cheaper to do it that way after taxes and fees are taken into account, at least for me.
    I love Straight Talk with my Pre 3. I did test the waters here in the metro Detroit area to see how "unlimited" the plan is. Using the Preware app of Netstat to clock how much data I was using, I got a call from Straight Talk at just before 3 GB of data usage, which I got to that point mostly by tethering to my TP. They asked me a series of questions, including if I was tethering or made modifications to the phone to increase the processing speed (i.e. UberKernel).
    Since then I have limited my tethering and haven't had a call since. Straight Talk is a great choice to save money, just don't go more than about 2.5 - 3 GB of data usage, otherwise they could drop you unexpectedly for "excessive data usage."

Hope this helps people looking to make the jump.
    pinoyrepn1124 likes this.