1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I'm sure this has been covered a few times before, but I wanted to get some help with my CPU...basically I am getting on good days (and if I don't really use my Pre 3) 2.5 - 2.6% an hour, which is great, but I find it's a really dark art. Sometimes (invariably when Ive charged it on touchstone to full from 80 or above) it suddenly goes in to a 8-10% drain, and most of the time if I've used it for more than 4 minutes my Pre 3 finds it very difficult to throttle down and will seem to hover around the 5-6% an hour mark (this requires lots of closing and opening Battery Monitor and leaving it it for at least 20 mins and then checking again). The thing that prompted me to write this post is that I was heavily using it on Saturday on a train ride, put the phone away to use my laptop and the CPU just ran away...I got a warning that the phone had got to 51 degrees C when it had been sat in my pocket for 20 minutes! I had to turn it off for fear of it spontaneously combusting.

As I said, this seems to be such a dark art, I just want a reliable way to ensure that the CPU throttles down when I stop using it. I accept that webOS is a bit of a battery hog when in use but if it would just calm down to the 2.5% an hour drain with the screen off every time without me worrying about it I will be very happy!

I am currently using Skyraider A1 (yeah yeah, maybe that's why it got so hot, but even so I've alway had problems with random battery drain even on Uberkernel)....my settings are as follows:

CPU frequency ONDEMANDCTL
    Compressed Swap: DISABLED
    I/O Scheduler: VR
    TCP Congestion: WESTWOOD

And in the options for CPU frequency:
    Min freq: 768
    Max freq: 1.9008
    Sampling rate: 0.2%
    Up threshold: 95%
    Down differential: 3
    Ignore nice load: FALSE
    Powersave Bias: 0
    Max tickle window: 3 Sec
    Max floor Window: 3 Sec
    Screenoff Max Freq: 368.44
    Screenstate enable: TRUE

under CPU voltage I have undervolted by small, safe values.

Anyone else care to share their settings/give some proper advice?
    Stock kernel here...

basically if I don't use the pre3 aside keeping it as a phone, I do btw 3 and 5 days on a full charge.... (anyway, 3 for sure... so 100/72 = 1.38% an hour , but I'm also sure the phone manages near 5 days if not having signal fluctuations and not receiving calls , and in that case it's well under 1% an hour )

With my normal usage with some random playing on it, I do around 2 days between charges , on average... the temperature never exceeds 38, and i reach 38 only when charging on the touchstone.

The random battery drains are present also with the stock kernel... and are anyway related to the wifi subsystem getting stuck somehow, I guess.

The stock kernel throttles down to 122mhz on idle...

I've the impression - feeling that the alternative kernels, both beta, alpha and final, are not adjusted so well for the pre3, at least not yet
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    Stock kernel here...

basically if I don't use the pre3 aside keeping it as a phone, I do btw 3 and 5 days on a full charge.... (anyway, 3 for sure... so 100/72 = 1.38% an hour , but I'm also sure the phone manages near 5 days if not having signal fluctuations and not receiving calls , and in that case it's well under 1% an hour )

With my normal usage with some random playing on it, I do around 2 days between charges , on average... the temperature never exceeds 38, and i reach 38 only when charging on the touchstone.

The random battery drains are present also with the stock kernel... and are anyway related to the wifi subsystem getting stuck somehow, I guess.

The stock kernel throttles down to 122mhz on idle...

I've the impression - feeling that the alternative kernels, both beta, alpha and final, are not adjusted so well for the pre3, at least not yet
    So do you have data switched off when using it day to day? The reason I switched to Uberkernel/A1 was to avoid the TMC errors...do you get them at all still?
    I've actually data over 2g and 3g turned off, since I don't have a data plan ( tends to be expensive around here... ).

I use wifi when needed.. the figures I gave , the 3 to 5.. are a test I did keeping also wifi totally off. I'm sure I managed 3 easily.. and I think it was more than that, but my memory is not so good ... ehm.

The 2 days is a figure with wifi being turned on for some time.

I never got TMC errors, and I've had the phone work without a single reboot, luna restart included, for up to 3 weeks. But I also don't keep exactly cards open when I don't use them, and I normally don't use more than 2 or 3 cards at the same time... so I suppose I didn't get the warning message just out of luck.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    I've actually data over 2g and 3g turned off, since I don't have a data plan ( tends to be expensive around here... ).

I use wifi when needed.. the figures I gave , the 3 to 5.. are a test I did keeping also wifi totally off. I'm sure I managed 3 easily.. and I think it was more than that, but my memory is not so good ... ehm.

The 2 days is a figure with wifi being turned on for some time.

I never got TMC errors, and I've had the phone work without a single reboot, luna restart included, for up to 3 weeks. But I also don't keep exactly cards open when I don't use them, and I normally don't use more than 2 or 3 cards at the same time... so I suppose I didn't get the warning message just out of luck.
    That figures then, I ran a test once will all radios off save cell and yeah, it ran for days. I get (almost) unlimited data with my phone plan though so I'd be stupid not to use it with my Pre 3! What is the wifi issue though?

Anyone else got any Govnah advice?
    I'm not so sure, but I can imagine ( the wifi issue )

I suspect that if the wifi is turned off while an email account is being polled, something gets stuck and even if the data connection is closed.. that subsystem keep running in a loop.

One time I've even got a notification just after fully rebooting, saying that there was an issue with connecting to an email account. Thing is, the wifi was turned off well before rebooting ( hours before ).. so the message got stuck somewhere and strangely got released first thing booting up.

Moreover I've read someone write in a thread that if the phone auto reboots around the time the backup to the online server is done, something gets messed. In a way it sounds similar, as "cause".
  7.    #7  
    Yeah I get weird stuff with email sometimes, good to know I'm not the only one.

I'm really hoping tis sort of stuff will be cleared up in openwebOS...much as I love webOS, it is in many places an unfinished product
  8.    #8  
    Did anyone get any ideas about this in the end? I switched to UberKernel in the end and the process still runs away...I couldn't get it below 6% an hour the other day when idle and it was performing like a dog in use (really jerky, heating up and unresponsive), left it for a couple of days and then left it on wifi for about 24 hours at the weekend and ran at about 0.6 - 0.75% an hour (it could have run for DAYS!).

What the hell is going on?