Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bevcraw
  1.    #1  
    I've been very very silly and dropped my Pre 3 on a concete floor - et voila! Big nasty crack right across the middle of the screen. It's still usable but I'm wondering if it would be worth selling it as parts and buying a new one on eBay.

Everything's in full working order apart from the glass front, so...what parts would I be able to sell? What would I get for them?

By the way, I'm in the UK so I'd like to know what everything's going for over here. US prices would be good too though, I just need a rough indication of what I can get.

Just to stress, I HAVEN'T ACTUALLY DECIDED TO SELL YET. I'll consider it if the market for parts is good enough~
    I'm in the same situation.
    I saw a thread that suggested that it would be worth much more to part it out, but I'm not sure what to ask for the individual components. Or since it still functions, maybe just keep it as a spare phone/battery charger.
    I've suggested it elsewhere, long time ago. I don't know if it's feasible or not but why not looking for a spare glass for a BIGGER screen phone, have a glass maker cut it in the right shape, and install as replacement ?
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    I've suggested it elsewhere, long time ago. I don't know if it's feasible or not but why not looking for a spare glass for a BIGGER screen phone, have a glass maker cut it in the right shape, and install as replacement ?
    That's actually not a bad idea Mazzinia.

I have contacted multiple glass companies & multiple companies that repair phones out there.. I got nothing in return as for a pre3 glass repair.. Which honestly totally kills the pre3 users out there!

anyway, I looked into cutting plexiglas myself and replacing it.. the problem becomes I'm no professional at replacing glass screens and it doesn't look easy

I don't know.. I would love to see someone else do what you said and achieve success at it.. So if someone does it, please keep me posted
    Why not :

- find a glass ( windows glass ) small company that agrees to do the precision cutting ( and offers a reasonable price ).
    - once found that, find and buy a replacement glass ( better than using plexyglass imho ) for maybe a 10" tablet... that would actually allow to : 1) obtain 2 or more spare glasses and 2) allow for cutting issues
    - use a phone repairing to do the swap, you put the material

On a side note, car glass repairing shops use some tricks to fix scratched and even cracked windshields.
    I wonder if they could apply the same method to the phone glass...

On a side note, IF the first method works, I think you would find people interested in the spare screens...
  6.    #6  
    Thanks everyone, but I've heard a lot of people say that the glass screen is impossible to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    On a side note, car glass repairing shops use some tricks to fix scratched and even cracked windshields.
    I wonder if they could apply the same method to the phone glass...
    But this sounds pretty good, I'll have a look in to it and report back if I have any luck. Thanks~
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jscm3 View Post
    I'm in the same situation.
    I saw a thread that suggested that it would be worth much more to part it out, but I'm not sure what to ask for the individual components. Or since it still functions, maybe just keep it as a spare phone/battery charger.
    I'm probably going to keep it as a spare, since it still works pretty well.

I'm only going to sell it if it'll get me most of the way towards buying a new one. Otherwise, there doesn't seem to be much point in letting it go.

Just a reminder -- offers to buy, sell or trade should be made only in the Marketplace forum. Special rules apply to that forum.

Thanks for your cooperation.
    Rnp likes this.