webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > HELP with unlocking my AT&T Pre 3, Bell Canad SIM and Unlock Code
HELP with unlocking my AT&T Pre 3, Bell Canad SIM and Unlock Code

Old 04/06/2012, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hello there,

Finally got my Pre 3 off eBay. I am in Vancouver, Canada and had a Palm Pre through Bell Canada. When I put in my Bell SIM card, it asked for an unlock code which I did not have so I had to re-activate my old Pre
Just got my unlock code, had Bell reactivate my Pre 3. When I turn on my Pre3, it no longer asks for an unlock code but it does ask for my HP WebOS Account. So I attempt to sign in to my existing account and the sign in fails because it can't find a network!!

Feel like I'm running around in circles. Would greatly appreciate any help from you brilliant folks out there.
shegasp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2012, 07:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

You have a Bell LTE SIM card? I just got mine in the mail yesterday, unlocked. Put my SIM in, logged into my existing account and everything went as per normal.

You had Bell activate the Pre3? Seems odd, I had my LTE card from my Veer, and all they did was associate the SIM card with my phone number, there was no "activation" per se, for the phone itself.
Old 04/06/2012, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
You have a Bell LTE SIM card? I just got mine in the mail yesterday, unlocked. Put my SIM in, logged into my existing account and everything went as per normal.

You had Bell activate the Pre3? Seems odd, I had my LTE card from my Veer, and all they did was associate the SIM card with my phone number, there was no "activation" per se, for the phone itself.
Thanks for the reply!!
My SIM card is just a plain Bell card. That's what the rep at the Bell store gave me.
My last Palm was the original Pre and didn't have a SIM Card. So the rep had to activate my Pre 3. So they turn it on after inserting the SIM, it boots then asks for an unlock code which I didn't have.
Had to go back to the seller. But now when I turn on the P3, it skips the unlock code request and asks me to sign into my WebOS account. Which of course I can't do as the phone is searching for a network. A bit baffling.
Old 04/06/2012, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would suggest finding another phone and make sure the card is definitely activated first.

Do you see a 3G icon in the status bar, or do you only see reception bars? Also try dialing the customer service number to see if it connects.

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2012, 09:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
I would suggest finding another phone and make sure the card is definitely activated first.

Do you see a 3G icon in the status bar, or do you only see reception bars? Also try dialing the customer service number to see if it connects.
Thanks ToniCipriani,

I don't have another phone to check the card but I did call the customer service number from my lan line and the rep confirmed that the card was activated.

And the 3G icon does not appear in the status bar, I only see reception bars but they are not lit to indicate reception. And I tried the 'contact customer service' option and it doesn't connect. In fact, it doesn't even bring up the phone number pad. Unlike when I choose the 'emergency call' option, which does bring up the phone key pad.

Your time and consideration is greatly appreciated
Old 04/07/2012, 12:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Please DOCTOR THE PHONE...

Last edited by GuyFromNam; 05/06/2012 at 03:24 PM.
GuyFromNam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/07/2012, 12:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Or call an emergency number (hang up in time if it doesn't bring up the screen).

Old 04/07/2012, 06:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Bell card says LTE right on it. If you want the faster speeds, you might want to think about getting one. They are $5 in the store. ( I haven't tried using a regular SIM card, so I don't really know if those ones work or what the difference is, just telling you what's working for me.)

nice sig GFN, lol
Old 04/07/2012, 10:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shegasp13 View Post
Thanks ToniCipriani,

I don't have another phone to check the card but I did call the customer service number from my lan line and the rep confirmed that the card was activated.

And the 3G icon does not appear in the status bar, I only see reception bars but they are not lit to indicate reception. And I tried the 'contact customer service' option and it doesn't connect. In fact, it doesn't even bring up the phone number pad. Unlike when I choose the 'emergency call' option, which does bring up the phone key pad.

Your time and consideration is greatly appreciated
https://developer.palm.com/content/a...oper-mode.html

Follow the "Keypad Method", you should be able to bypass Doctor. Just start typing and keypad will show up. Then after you go inside, you can check your data settings.

After that, doctor your phone and try again.

Old 04/07/2012, 10:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
My Bell card says LTE right on it. If you want the faster speeds, you might want to think about getting one. They are $5 in the store. ( I haven't tried using a regular SIM card, so I don't really know if those ones work or what the difference is, just telling you what's working for me.)

nice sig GFN, lol
I can tell you there will be no difference. The only thing is the LTE cards has an additional UIM for the LTE network, all UMTS phones will still only use the UMTS part only.

Thanked By: sledge007
Old 04/07/2012, 09:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

I had a problem with my phone. Needed an unlock code. There is a guide up here that details of how to extract the unlock code from the phone. Once that is put in your phone with an active sim it will connect to Bell no problem. There is no need to even tell Bell you are switching phones.
DanielD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2012, 03:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

If it's a five-digit number that they want, it could be the MSL. I reverse engineered it from my TouchPad, but I'm not sure if it's the same formula for a Pre 3.
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2012, 03:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
If it's a five-digit number that they want, it could be the MSL. I reverse engineered it from my TouchPad, but I'm not sure if it's the same formula for a Pre 3.
http://forums.webosnation.com/off-topic/

Old 04/08/2012, 04:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post

MSL (Master Subsidy Lock) has nothing to do with GSM.

Old 04/08/2012, 06:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
Click to view quoted image

MSL (Master Subsidy Lock) has nothing to do with GSM.
Whoops. That's the only number I can readily give. I don't know my phones.

EDIT: Come to think of it, the binary that I reversed from didn't explicitly mention MSL. It's just the source code of apps that asks for the code mention MSL. The actual apps say "diag auth code".
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor

Last edited by GMMan; 04/08/2012 at 06:10 PM.
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2012, 05:29 AM   #16 (permalink)

i am having a hp pre3 mobile... wen i put mu gsm sim into it ...it is asking for the lock code....i followed the steps from
Dogbert's Blog: Free Unlocker for Palm/HP Phones
but did not know what to do after the 7 th step

please help
adithyan ilangovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2012, 12:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithyan ilangovan View Post
i am having a hp pre3 mobile... wen i put mu gsm sim into it ...it is asking for the lock code....i followed the steps from
Dogbert's Blog: Free Unlocker for Palm/HP Phones
but did not know what to do after the 7 th step

please help
Step 6 has you unlock USBPassthrough and put port 1 into "Diag" diagnostic mode... Step 7 is install drivers so your computer can read the diagnostics off the phone... If all of that is good then you can proceed.

Step 8 is actually querying the phone to get the GSM Unlock code. You must use Dogbert's Unlocker Program which should be in the same folder as all the other stuff you downloaded... You only run one version...

If your phone is a Pixi, Pixi +, Pre, Pre + or Pre 2 then run "pre_unlock.py"

If your phone is a Veer or Pre 3 then run "pre3_veer_unlock.py"

Running the right program gets you the unlock code.

Reset USB.... Enter USBPassthrough mode, set port 1 for "None" and disable USBPassthrough.

Put in your SIM and enter the unlock code at the prompt.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 10:39 PM   #18 (permalink)

I think that he has a problem in installation of the drivers in step 7. My home PC did not work/ install the drivers when I decided to try the PC at work. This worked and I managed to unlock it.

I suggest that Adithyan try on another PC in case step 7 fails on one PC

Also he may have to run step 11 "Unblock and NOT Unlock" - as in my case

K
kingshukt is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0