Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I have noticed that on my HP Pre 3 the ringtones that I installed (some are my own, some are the Pre tones Shimmer short and Subtle short) will change to what may be the system defaults...all by themselves after about a day or two. Is this a known issue? When I check the ringtones preferences, they show as I set them...but the phone's ring, and text and e-mail notifications have changed. If I reboot the phone, it goes back to working like it should. I have cycled the power several times. I have also pulled the battery once. No difference. Thoughts?
    if your using mode switcher, i think the default mode resets a lot of stuff to defaults when you reboot the phone, you can remove those entries in the default mode and your ringtones etc should stay safe.

if you dont use mode switcher then er, ignore this post, im not sure about that, hasnt happened to my pre3 once i corrected my mode switcher settings.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Thanks...I'm willing to try that (it's annoying!) Would you mind posting how to do that? I'm a bit of a newbie with this phone.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I just re-read what I wrote, and I hope I wasn't misunderstood: I meant "(it's annoying!)" in reference to the auto re-setting of the ringtones, not geekpeter's post!

(BTW: Is anyone else on this forum not getting "Instant email notification"...despite having selected that? I'm having to check the forum multiple times to see responses, because I'm getting no notification.)
    well if you use mode switcher, just select/edit the default mode there will likely be a phone setting or similar when u scroll down that mentions ringtone/sounds and the likes, just swipe it right to delete or pick your own ringtone/sounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastasia View Post
    I just re-read what I wrote, and I hope I wasn't misunderstood: I meant "(it's annoying!)" in reference to the auto re-setting of the ringtones, not geekpeter's post!

(BTW: Is anyone else on this forum not getting "Instant email notification"...despite having selected that? I'm having to check the forum multiple times to see responses, because I'm getting no notification.)
    E-mail notification works fine for me. Might be on your e-mail setup, not pushing the e-mails as they arrive.

As for your original issue, it's not the exact issue I have seen as a 2.x, but is probably related. I have never had to restart or power cycle to get my ring tones back. The changing of tones is completely random in my experience.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Good afternoon!

I wanted to post a follow-up to my ringtone issue...and you can be the judge of whether what I did is related or if the whole thing is some weird "feature".

When I activated my HP Pre3, I copied all of my old Palm Pre Plus pictures into the Pre3's DCIM folder. When I did so, I found that all new pictures I was taking with the Pre3 were automatically relegated to the bottom of the list. In other words, if I wanted to work with any new Pre3 pictures I took (i.e., send them via e-mail and MMS), I had to scroll the phone past 900+ old Pre Plus pictures to get to the new Pre3 ones. ...and before you ask, it had nothing to do with the filename (e.g., if the last old Pre Plus picture was CIMG0900 and the new Pre3 one started with CIMG0001, alphabetical order would logically place the new CIMG0001 at the bottom of the list...but this wasn't the case), nor did it help when I tried to re-sort the Pre3's DCIM folder by date when connected to my computer via USB. Since trying to work with the new Pre3 pictures in this manner quickly got annoying, I created a new folder and moved my old Pre Plus pictures into it, while leaving the new Pre3 pictures in the DCIM folder.

...and lo and behold: Not only was I able to work correctly with my new Pre3 (as well as my old Pre Plus pictures in the separate folder), but my ringtone issue almost completely resolved itself, too! I say "almost" because if I get a zillion e-mail notifications all at once (such as when I'm in an area of no reception for many hours, and then move to an area with reception), I've noticed that there have been a few instances when the phone may throw in a system tone among the correct ringtones as the Pre3 is downloading all of that e-mail. ...but I do not have to reboot the Pre3 to get all of the ringtones (phone, e-mail, text) back to normal because the ringtones remain correctly recognized after the e-mail burst.

Coincidence? You be the judge. All I can report is that I'm much, MUCH happier not having to restart the Pre3 every day.

PS I double-checked, and my e-mail address is correct in my profile, and there are no webOS Nation messages trapped in any junk or online spam folders, and I'm still not getting "Instant email notification". *sigh*