Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I currently have a pre2 on vzw and am happy with it, but travel overseas to a place where vzw covers but is way too expensive for data.

I was considering a pre3, but after reading some posts, not really clear if it is possible to get it unlocked successfully to use there with 3g data, etc.

anyone have any input other than what i've read in the forums?

thank you.
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    I'm not the best person to comment on your post (I have an AT&T Pre 3 which came with an unlock code that I've never tried -- FYI, I'm quite happy with the Pre 3 itself.), but...

What about getting a UK/EU Pre 3 on eBay? They are unlocked by default. Use the 2 domestically, and the 3 overseas. Unless I'm missing something, wouldn't your costs be about the same (in fact, the UK/EU version should be significantly cheaper than the VZW version)? Yes, you have to deal with two phones, but it might be better than getting stuck with a VZW Pre 3 that you can't unlock.

Anyway, as I said, I might not be the best one to advise. Just trying to help out. I hope someone else comes along with more trustworthy advice. Good luck!
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    too late, apparently my offer was accepted on ebay, acceptance must have gotten caught in spam filter. Didn't think I got it. We'll find out in a couple of months. Thanks for your reply.
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Congrats! I'm sure you'll be able to unlock it. In any case, welcome to the Pre 3 club. I'm sure you'll enjoy the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by WOPR View Post
    too late, apparently my offer was accepted on ebay, acceptance must have gotten caught in spam filter. Didn't think I got it. We'll find out in a couple of months. Thanks for your reply.
    Pre3 is a very nice phone. You can unlock it yourself thru Dogbert's software. His sw works for Pre/Pre2, Pre3 & Veer. There are several discussions on his sw. You should search for 'unlock att dogbert' for the info.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by qlearner View Post
    Pre3 is a very nice phone. You can unlock it yourself thru Dogbert's software. His sw works for Pre/Pre2, Pre3 & Veer. There are several discussions on his sw. You should search for 'unlock att dogbert' for the info.
    it's actually a VZW phone, so i think, apparently, it comes unlocked already. thanks.