Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 80
Like Tree1Likes
  1. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
       #1  
    As a launch day user of Palm Pre who started a thread counting the days before the release date I found it difficult to say goodbye to Sprint. I had a 12 plus year relationship with Sprint until today. I was hoping that Sprint would give us the next webOS phone. We all know that matters beyond us resulted in no webOS phones after the Pre -. The only thing with Sprint is, its cheap if you include that employee discount. It does save you money to spend elsewhere on your gadget lust :-) . After test driving Pre 2 on simplemobile then Pre 3 on T Mo, I finally settled with StraightTalk with my Primary number ported from Sprint !!!!!!.

    I do see that there are few folks on Sprint still putting band-aids to their old Pres. So those of you tinkering with your Pre - by overclocking or franken pre2 ing on Sprint, do yourself a favor, just buy the Pre 3 (if you can ) and move to StraightTalk. The $ 45.00 per month beats Sprint hands down. Besides saving money you can do the following tasks which you can never do on Sprint EVDO i.e. 3G

    • Talk and browse on 3G
    • Conference an incoming call to an existing conversation


    I am one (more) Happy webOS customer.

    P.S:- I am in DC area and StraightTalk with ATT is just great in terms of call coverage. No dropped calls so far. I have not tested the data speeds yet.
    Last edited by gbp; 03/20/2012 at 03:36 PM.
  2. Cba
    Cba is offline
    Cba's Avatar
    Posts
    2 Posts
    #2  
    thanks for the idea!
    so, do you have navigation like sprint with straight talk? That is a feature I would miss.
    cheers
  3. #3  
    2gb Data cap or what? Can you post scores from speedtest.net?
  4. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cba View Post
    thanks for the idea!
    so, do you have navigation like sprint with straight talk? That is a feature I would miss.
    cheers
    Yesssssssss,
    The ATT navigation is working.

    I am pleasantly surprised !!!!!!
  5. #5  
    I've been on the same boat like you and haven't taken the next step. I'm still on sprint with pre- and I have had an ATT pre3 since Nov (just sitting there)!

    Big concerns switching:
    1. How strict is ST about tethering. I don't do it often but sometimes I do. I travel for work from time to time and sometimes I use it during my hotel stay, sometimes while waiting at the airport, etc. I'm not one of those abusers. Would they look the other way like Sprint has been? Or would they crack down immediately like ATT and VZ do? This is actually a big deal for me.
    2. GPS - not a deal breaker but I have read on slickdeals thread that they will shut your GPS down if they notice.

    I've actually been 16 days free of sprint contract! I'M FREEEEEE!!!!
  6. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I've been on the same boat like you and haven't taken the next step. I'm still on sprint with pre- and I have had an ATT pre3 since Nov (just sitting there)!

    Big concerns switching:
    1. How strict is ST about tethering. I don't do it often but sometimes I do. I travel for work from time to time and sometimes I use it during my hotel stay, sometimes while waiting at the airport, etc. I'm not one of those abusers. Would they look the other way like Sprint has been? Or would they crack down immediately like ATT and VZ do? This is actually a big deal for me.
    2. GPS - not a deal breaker but I have read on slickdeals thread that they will shut your GPS down if they notice.

    I've actually been 16 days free of sprint contract! I'M FREEEEEE!!!!
    I have not used the tethering. I was going to explore options, but so far there was no need for it. I heard ST will not bother if there are no bursts of data use. Another thing I heard was the limit of data to 2G. Not sure its true. GPS thing is nice, I will use it as long as ATT lets me.
    Overall its great. I wonder who will save Sprint ? even the iPhone could not save it.
  7. #7  
    How could you get straight talk to work with the pre3? Isn't straight talk prepaid?
  8. #8  
    I'm about to move from Sprint Pre- to StraightTalk Pre 2. Glad to hear it's going well for you!

    I tried to poke around the "fine print" online. It does explicitly say no tethering, but I couldn't find anything about caps or throttling. Is it actually unlimited? I guess I'll have to see what kind of documentation shows up with my SIM later this week.
  9. #9  
    Did you have to buy a new phone to get a sim card?
  10. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Did you have to buy a new phone to get a sim card?
    Nope.Just have to order the SIM with a plan. Any GSM phone will do.

    make sure you order ATT SIM. They sell both att and tmo SIM cards.
  11. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by AwesomePalmPre127 View Post
    How could you get straight talk to work with the pre3? Isn't straight talk prepaid?
    Yes Straight Talk is prepaid, but you have options to choose T Mo SIM card and ATT SIM. Get a GSM Pre 3 and buy an ATT SIM with data plan for $ 45.00. Your phone will be ready, as simple as that. The number porting was a breeze too. I got my number ported less than 2 hours.
  12. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    2gb Data cap or what? Can you post scores from speedtest.net?


  13. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
       #13  
    Sprint did not bother me. The number got cancelled from my family plan.
  14. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
       #14  
    And, here is another update, I have a family plan (two lines ) so after switching we still have one line. Sprint gave us the $ 69.99 plan for the single line. Its interesting that they did not force us the $79.99. But they were asking if we need any new phone (our contract ended last year).

    Also a buddy of mine who is another long Sprint customer just upgraded to Pre- from his not so smartphone. Yes, there are folks who are getting a taste of webOS three years late .
    He was able to keep his current price on the plan. So there is no $ 10.00 surcharge on the Pre -.
  15. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffro-tull View Post
    I'm about to move from Sprint Pre- to StraightTalk Pre 2. Glad to hear it's going well for you!

    I tried to poke around the "fine print" online. It does explicitly say no tethering, but I couldn't find anything about caps or throttling. Is it actually unlimited? I guess I'll have to see what kind of documentation shows up with my SIM later this week.
    Nice to know that Tethering is a NO. Prepaid companies have horrible customer service. So it will be difficult to talk to them if they cut the line for Tethering. I will definitely watch for throttling. The H+ is giving me 1.9 Mbps download. Sprint was a joke, their speeds never went about 400K for me.

    For comparison

    The Pandora takes grater than 30 seconds to get the stream started on Sprint , it about 10 seconds on ST. Browser speeds are super. The theverge.com took forever to load on Sprint Pre- , it takes about 20 second to load. It could be the combination of Pre 3 and H+ speeds that makes a super webOS experience.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    And, here is another update, I have a family plan (two lines ) so after switching we still have one line. Sprint gave us the $ 69.99 plan for the single line. Its interesting that they did not force us the $79.99. But they were asking if we need any new phone (our contract ended last year).

    Also a buddy of mine who is another long Sprint customer just upgraded to Pre- from his not so smartphone. Yes, there are folks who are getting a taste of webOS three years late .
    He was able to keep his current price on the plan. So there is no $ 10.00 surcharge on the Pre -.
    You know, I find it remarkable how similar our situations are. I too am on a family plan w/ Sprint. I'm primary user and my mother is the additional line. I pay about $122 after everything (discount, taxes, fees) for the 1500 min shared plan. I charge in about $88 for my portion to my company, which means I put my mom's plan at a cost of $34 (I was paying about $88 when I was on a single line plan so that's how I justify my mom's added cost). My mother doesn't text and does not use data (she may receive text/mms sometimes). She has a feature phone.

    I'm just trying to figure out where I can move my mom and still maintain about monthly cost of $34... unlimited talk would be nice. There's no way I'll move to ST and then have my mother's remaining line be hit by a $70 charge every month...
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Yesssssssss,
    The ATT navigation is working.

    I am pleasantly surprised !!!!!!
    It should keep working until the end of your Sprint billing period. Then TeleNav resets your account. I had the same thing happen to me when I went from Sprint to Straight Talk.
  18. #18  
    I work in Minneapolis, MN and pull about 1.5mbps down on StraightTalk here with my Pre 3. It always shows the H+ symbol. I live in a suburb of Saint Paul, MN and get over 2mbps there, although a couple of times I've found myself on EDGE data with StraightTalk. It's usually right after I restart my phone and lasts only about 30 seconds before switching to H+ again.

    I have NOT noticed any throttling. I also didn't see anything about data caps in the documentation they sent me.

    They do send me free texts a lot (once or twice a week) to educate me on how to cash up my account.

    Also, my fiancée tells me that I respond a lot faster to texts than I did with my Sprint Pre-, so it sounds like the AT&T network I use via StraightTalk is faster with texting.

    I like that they let you choose to use the T-Mobile or AT&T network for the same price!
  19. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
       #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by ironclad359 View Post
    It should keep working until the end of your Sprint billing period. Then TeleNav resets your account. I had the same thing happen to me when I went from Sprint to Straight Talk.
    I knew something like that would happen. Sprint was great in that regard. They gave it as free. Its matter of time before the carriers stop charging for GPS Navigation.
  20. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
       #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ironclad359 View Post
    I work in Minneapolis, MN and pull about 1.5mbps down on StraightTalk here with my Pre 3. It always shows the H+ symbol. I live in a suburb of Saint Paul, MN and get over 2mbps there, although a couple of times I've found myself on EDGE data with StraightTalk. It's usually right after I restart my phone and lasts only about 30 seconds before switching to H+ again.

    I have NOT noticed any throttling. I also didn't see anything about data caps in the documentation they sent me.

    They do send me free texts a lot (once or twice a week) to educate me on how to cash up my account.

    Also, my fiancée tells me that I respond a lot faster to texts than I did with my Sprint Pre-, so it sounds like the AT&T network I use via StraightTalk is faster with texting.

    I like that they let you choose to use the T-Mobile or AT&T network for the same price!
    Texting on Sprint is hit and miss. If you happen to have the Airave it makes matters worse. So far the few texts I sent reached almost instantaneous.

    The only issue is the battery life. It won't last more than 5 hours. I need to start looking at Preware and other stuff to maximize the battery.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions