Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Woohoo! Unfrankenpre'd back to the GSM radio. Activated with my original number, and all is up and running! It only took 2 hours for the switch to occur from the web site. The only thing I think I'll miss terribly is sprint nav, but with telenav coming up with an html5 solution, that may not be a big deal soon. I downgraded to 2.1 in the hopes that the bluetooth retardation that came with 2.2.4 goes away.
    Just buy TeleNav for a year from their website. It ends up being less than $10/month anyway. You will get GPS navigation back that way
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Don't know about the France question.

But as far as moving from Sprint to Straight Talk, I did it this weekend.

When you go through the activation process, you can tell it to port your Sprint number right there. Mine was done in a couple of hours.

I did this with an unlocked Pre2, if you want to save some money and go that route. I guess the Pre 3 or Veer would give you 4G on ST? That's the only thing I don't know, having only a 3G phone.

But the process was painless for me. Go for it! The only things that are missing are
    - Sprint Navigation. There are rumors that Telenav may have a HTML5 solution in the future.
    - ST doesn't seem to allow call forwarding for all calls. Bummer, I was looking forward to firing up my vonage line at home and forwarding when at home again.
    Definitely getting HSPA+ ("4G") on StraightTalk. I didn't have to do anything special to get it, it just worked. I would say that my data connection with StraightTalk isn't as reliable as it was on Sprint, but it's definitely faster by far.
    Quote Originally Posted by ironclad359 View Post
    Definitely getting HSPA+ ("4G") on StraightTalk. I didn't have to do anything special to get it, it just worked. I would say that my data connection with StraightTalk isn't as reliable as it was on Sprint, but it's definitely faster by far.
    Data connection has come to a screeching halt with Sprint with all the smart phone users, exacerbated by iphones in the system. Sprint's data is so slow, it's quite pathetic and it's moot to have unlimited data when it's useless. At least that's the case me and another friend in another state.
    H+ with Straight talk consistently 1 to 3 mb/s.....much much faster than sprint ever was for me
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Data connection has come to a screeching halt with Sprint with all the smart phone users, exacerbated by iphones in the system. Sprint's data is so slow, it's quite pathetic and it's moot to have unlimited data when it's useless. At least that's the case me and another friend in another state.
    Ask me about it. Sprint has the worst network (Speed and coverage) of the big three carriers where I live ( D.C Area). And it continues to deteriorate. Forget about speed there are places where I could never connect to a good 3G signal. I am glad I am out of their network.

I do miss listening to Pandora on Sprint , what a torture
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Just buy TeleNav for a year from their website. It ends up being less than $10/month anyway. You will get GPS navigation back that way
    Not sure how would you buy from them. I could not find the support for webOS.
    Same here. I was getting about 200kbps with Sprint in Minneapolis/St. Paul after the launch of the iPhone. So technically StraightTalk is as much as 10x faster!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Not sure how would you buy from them. I could not find the support for webOS.
    I don't think you need support for webOS. I can't even find the link to purchase anymore, but I believe you need to choose another phone (I think they have Palm phones listed) and pay them. Since the app is already on your phone, all you need to do is just activate an account that is tied to your phone #.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I don't think you need support for webOS. I can't even find the link to purchase anymore, but I believe you need to choose another phone (I think they have Palm phones listed) and pay them. Since the app is already on your phone, all you need to do is just activate an account that is tied to your phone #.
    May be I am missing totally something. I could not purchase it from Telenav. My App on the Pre 3 is now asking me to buy from ATT at $ 9.99 per month.

The Telenav website has links for Android,Blackberry and iPhone but not for webOS/Pre3.
    Heh, guess I'm budgeting some money for a Pre3 :-) Wish I'd known all this before I just bought the Pre2 for a frankenpre.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Sorry for being dense, I just do see it on their site, so would I use the sprint version and then call them, or it would prompt for payment in the app?
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnie View Post
    Sorry for being dense, I just do see it on their site, so would I use the sprint version and then call them, or it would prompt for payment in the app?
    I am lost too. I would like to know how to subscribe yearly without involving ATT.

My app says I need to buy it from ATT, but I have straighttalk.
    So can anyone confirm any consequences of tethering on Straight Talk? Just as a casual occasional user, not a habitual abuser... do they send you a warning for tethering period, or is there some "look the other way" going on? If i can't tether, I won't bother switching to Straight Talk.
    Pardon me for either being dense or missing where this has already been discussed; but can anyone please tell me, if I already have a Verizon CDMA/GSM Pre 3 (bought off of eBay), what must I do to activate it either on Sprint (if it's at all possible) or on Straight Talk as most of you have been discussing here (although it seems to be referring to an ATT Pre 3)? Also what are the upsides and pitfalls from doing this, and what might the costs be involved in this? I hope this wasn't too broad a range of information which I'm seeking, but I really, really want to use my Pre 3, but don't want to pay out my rear-end Verizon's high fees. Thank you for whomever has this valuable info. If you don't want to discuss it here, could you please IM or Private message me, please? Thanks, again!
    With the Verizon model, your only option is Verizon as the GSM radio wont work properly (there is a thread dealing w/ this). If you want to take a similar approach to what has been discussed here, you'll have more options w/ the GSM model.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I knew something like that would happen. Sprint was great in that regard. They gave it as free. Its matter of time before the carriers stop charging for GPS Navigation.
    NDrive is an excellent replacement.
    My phone easily lasts all day with UberKernel installed. The standby life is pretty good. With light browsing and heavy texting, I don't need to charge all day.
    what clock speed?

edit: doh! Hadn't read your next post.
    Last edited by grappler; 04/07/2012 at 06:58 AM.
    So can anyone confirm any consequences of tethering on Straight Talk? Just as a casual occasional user, not a habitual abuser... do they send you a warning for tethering period, or is there some "look the other way" going on? If i can't tether, I won't bother switching to Straight Talk.
    I have tethered at least twice on ST since I got my pre3. No negative consequences so far.
    Am now considering moving from H2O to ST (ST is $45 vs $60), and the 1GB data cap is annoying on H2O. Has anyone confirmed the data cap on ST? Also, do they allow 3-way calling (H2O does not).

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaDueler View Post
    Am now considering moving from H2O to ST (ST is $45 vs $60), and the 1GB data cap is annoying on H2O. Has anyone confirmed the data cap on ST? Also, do they allow 3-way calling (H2O does not).

Thanks!
    Left H2O yesterday, because of the reasons you mentioned, so far so good. Will know about the cap sooner than later by using pandora.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234